Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Good, but overrated

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Very valid point and I do agree. Maybe comparison is the hobgoblin of the fanboy mind and we should avoid it.
    This cannot be overstated enough.

I'll count on your endorsement next time I go out stumping!
    The next time you go out whaaaa.....???

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    This cannot be overstated enough.

The next time you go out whaaaa.....???
    Hit the campaign stump, deliver my best oratory and solicit votes as a candidate: stumping.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Hit the campaign stump, deliver my best oratory and solicit votes as a candidate: stumping.
    Oh, I know what it IS...I just like the way it SOUNDS...

(In before the Professor...)
    "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    It makes little sense why he would ride a horse into an uncertain and potentially dangerous situation. Why didn't he simply take the horse to the city limits, and then further travel on foot to investigate the downtown area?
    What? Why would it make more sense to walk into a city rather than ride a much faster horse into the city? I dont get the issue some people seem to have with his decision to take the horse. . . . .he was out of gas. . . .he saw the horse. . . .realised that he had a speedy and manuverable form of transport that didn't require gas to run. . . .and couldn't pass it up.

As far as his "stupid" decisions go. . .I don't see many really. . and any that are there are understandable. The man was alseep through most of what had happened, he wakes up and finds that his world is fucked. . .his wife and kid are gone and he has little to live for. he finds that they may be in Atlanta and he sets off to go there as quickly as he can. He has no Idea how bad it will be out there, but he prepares himself the best he can (or the best he knows to)

I don't know. . .I guess I just went into the show with hopeful anticipation, and so didn't pick it apart when I saw it. I bought the story. . .it works for me so far, and I am ready for more.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    People need to get over the fact TWD has outshined Romero's recent stuff and it is a top notch show. once you accept that fact... your life will be so much better.
    That's your opinion, Gary. It's not a fact. Now having said that, do I think what I've seen of The Walking Dead has been better than George Romero's most recent efforts? Yes I do.
    I certainly can understand the criticisms that Jim cited though, he made many valid points. Hell, at the NYC Comic Con Robert Kirkman himself said he figured that perhaps there were a few hospital workers left who were watching over Rick Grimes, but he never gave it that much thought. There were several times that I wondered about things in the show, but I just went with it because I was enjoying it too much.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I don't know. . .I guess I just went into the show with hopeful anticipation, and so didn't pick it apart when I saw it. I bought the story. . .it works for me so far, and I am ready for more.
    That's because you're not picky enough & too easily satisfied. Go into EVERYTHING with the premise that it is flawed, & that YOU are the ONLY ONE who can spot said flaws, & that it's your holy mission in life to point those flaws out, because no one else "gets it", & because you are right, & everyone else is wrong. Then you'll be much happier. Or not.

(And before any one gets verklempt, I'm not talking about YOU, I'm talking about some other guy...I just like to pick on Clang. )

Ireland
    I'm not getting the "Rick is stupid" problem either. Most of his choices are perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being shot...He had just been clipped, was in a state of panic and was worried about how his wife was going to react about it. Losing control of himself momentarilly, he turns his back. That's absolutely plausable to me.

The "Stupid" things that stick out in my mind about the episode is the noise the characters make. Especially after recognising that noise attracts. They bang doors everywhere, beep car horns and sirens etc! But, this is more of a limitation of Darabont as a director rather then character writing. It's done for cheap "noise shock" in the case of the doors thing.

Even the wife picked up on it.

Besides, if we're comparing with Romero here, NOBODY in 'The Walking Dead' acts as stupid as some of the people in 'Dawn of the Dead'. Roger goes from pretty level headed to being a fool in a very short period and dies as a result and that guy that tets his blood ressure when there's a bunch of flesh eaters around? Seriously.... WHAT THE FUCK?

Rick's choices are perfectly acceptable as realistic.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The "Stupid" things that stick out in my mind about the episode is the noise the characters make. Especially after recognising that noise attracts. They bang doors everywhere, beep car horns and sirens etc! But, this is more of a limitation of Darabont as a director rather then character writing. It's done for cheap "noise shock" in the case of the doors thing.

Even the wife picked up on it.
    Doors? I don't remember any doors slamming? And if they did....would that even be loud enough to attract them anyway?

As for the the car horn and siren as they're leaving the police department, it's the same thing that they say before he puts down his deputy. "They'll hear the shot" "Well, let's not be here when they do". So by honking the horn/siren as they were leaving was really no problem. They would have been miles down the road before the dead had surrounded the police station.

And good call on Dawn. The characters in Romero's films are just as "stupid" as Rick. If not worse.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When did any doors slam? Am I missing something? The siren and horn makes no difference because they were leaving as Bassman noted, plus it was a way to say thanks, goodbye and goodluck. To nitpick on that is kind of stupid... Those trying to pick apart the show really need to find more serious stuff because everything I have read has a logical explanation behind it when you think about it.

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    That's your opinion, Gary. It's not a fact. Now having said that, do I think what I've seen of The Walking Dead has been better than George Romero's most recent efforts? Yes I do.
    I certainly can understand the criticisms that Jim cited though, he made many valid points. Hell, at the NYC Comic Con Robert Kirkman himself said he figured that perhaps there were a few hospital workers left who were watching over Rick Grimes, but he never gave it that much thought. There were several times that I wondered about things in the show, but I just went with it because I was enjoying it too much.

No Lee it is fact, you even agreed it is better than Romero's recent stuff, so my opinion just because FACT. Thank you for proving me right
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 03-Nov-2010 at 01:46 PM. Reason: To be an Asshole
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    With regards to noise, car doors were slammed and I think the station door may have been slammed, as well. I certainly noticed they were cavalier when they walked out of the police station and Morgan let Duane go off to stow some of the gear in the car without nary a glance over his shoulder or a word of caution. I wrote some of that off to good intelligence by Morgan about how many active roamers were in the area, how quickly they may have been reacting to stimuli lately and the possibility that the little bit of fencing we saw present was indicative of a full fence that surrounded the motor pool portion of the car park (not unusual for some police stations).

I will assume the tension level will ramp up at times in this regard as things progress.

Anyway, a lot of the things people are picking apart are easily explained or looked past, especially with regards to characters choices, so far. The hospital and how Rick was able to be there is easy to fill in the blanks with different possibilities, most of them plausible and largely self-explanatory to my mind. It seems like a lot of argumentative roadblocks are being thrown up , but they are easy to look past, as I haven't seen anything that was wholly implausible or silly yet
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 03-Nov-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: ...fixed a character name

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    i saw nothing in the pilot for TWD that was any sillier or more questionable than any actions/behaviors by characters in any romero dead film.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    At least there hasn't been a pie fight yet.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I haven't seen anything that was wholly implausible or silly yet
    Nothing implausible about the dead people walking around.

I keed, I keed.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Nothing implausible about the dead people walking around.

I keed, I keed.
    Shit, I don't even have the right smiley for a response...I'll find one...

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Doors? I don't remember any doors slamming? And if they did....would that even be loud enough to attract them anyway?

As for the the car horn and siren as they're leaving the police department, it's the same thing that they say before he puts down his deputy. "They'll hear the shot" "Well, let's not be here when they do". So by honking the horn/siren as they were leaving was really no problem. They would have been miles down the road before the dead had surrounded the police station.

And good call on Dawn. The characters in Romero's films are just as "stupid" as Rick. If not worse.
    I recall a couple of loud door openings and slammings in the copshop scene. The wife picked up on it and remarked about how loud and silly it was. Check out when Rick and the others leave the precinct. There's a jump cut and the door bangs open suddenly. It's a common directorial noise trick trick in movies. I agree it's not a biggie and the lets get out of here before they come addresses the point somewhat.

I'll have to look again and make sure, but we definitely picked up on the loudness.

-- -------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    When did any doors slam? Am I missing something? The siren and horn makes no difference because they were leaving as Bassman noted, plus it was a way to say thanks, goodbye and goodluck. To nitpick on that is kind of stupid... Those trying to pick apart the show really need to find more serious stuff because everything I have read has a logical explanation behind it when you think about it.
    I agree and I'm not really nit picking. Just saying that IF I absolutely HAD to pick something, it would be those type of things. Which, I spose is "nitpicking" ha ha.

As far as I'm concerned, the pilot was great and if the rest of the show is like that, then I'll be a happy bunny.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 03-Nov-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....