Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Good, but overrated

Undisclosed

Good, but overrated

Quote Originally Posted by sirjacktorrance View Post
    itīs just me or i think this is a little overating here.
    It's way overrated. If any other dead film had the lead character making as many stupid mistakes as TWD's Rick Grimes, the fans would be screaming for their pound of flesh. The pilot was okay, and of course, there's no good reason not to see how it all plays out, but does anyone seriously care if any of these characters survive?
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 02-Nov-2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: ooops

United States

Undisclosed
    Ha! But this is the type of reply that i'd expect...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Ha! But this is the type of reply that i'd expect...

You are in rare form this evening, Jim. LOL I laughed out loud when I saw that reply.

I must disagree though, and that's only because I'm such a fan of Frank Darabont. The man can do no wrong! I will admit that there were parts in the first 3 episodes I've seen that I didn't completely care for, but as a whole I've really loved the show so far.

Undisclosed
    Hey, how did you see three episodes already?

I seriously didn't care for any of the characters. What did you find to be engaging about them? The most interesting would be the father and son that save Grimes' butt. Although they demonstrate the ability to survive without any training or superior weapons, Grimes decides to fly solo and nearly gets himself killed. WTF?

Another aspect that just occurred to me: the music is terrible and uneven as though the filmmakers couldn't decide a clear direction. The pop song was completely inappropriate at the end, though may have possibly worked for the opening credits. The best music by far, however, was during the roadblock at the beginning. That should have been used as the series' theme if they'd had more guts to be less conventional.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 02-Nov-2010 at 03:21 AM. Reason: update

United States
    DC, i gotta disagree with you on this; with all due respect, i think you've got your fanboy hat on a little too tight and it's affecting your thinking....romero's earlier works are good, but he's a terrible director compared to darabont. there's more emotion in those 2 scenes with morgan trying to put down his wife and rick putting bicycle girl out of her misery than any single romero film in its entirety.

blame it on budget, acting, whatever you want, but it's all a matter of opinion, and it seems the majority of opinions point towards the fact that romero's been dethroned. of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and you've made yours clear, but i don't think you're gonna find many who are in agreement.

by the way, aside from going further into the city once it became obvious that it was overrun with the dead and crawling under the tank once he was about to get devoured, what sort of mistakes did rick make in the pilot?

United States
    Hey, how did you see three episodes already?

I seriously didn't care for any of the characters. What did you find to be engaging about them? The most interesting would be the father and son that save Grimes' butt. Although they demonstrate the ability to survive without any training or superior weapons, Grimes decides to fly solo and nearly gets himself killed. WTF?

Another aspect that just occurred to me: the music is terrible and uneven as though the filmmakers couldn't decide a clear direction. The pop song was completely inappropriate at the end, though may have possibly worked for the opening credits. The best music by far, however, was during the roadblock at the beginning. That should have been used as the series' theme if they'd had more guts to be less conventional.
    I agree about the song at the end, that was one issue I had. It was jarring the first time I watched it.

What did I find engaging about the characters? That's an excellent question. To be honest, I'm really not sure. I just know that I love the idea of watching a group of people thrown into such a desperate situation and seeing how they react. The same way Romero approached his stories, the whole pressure cooker thing. It fascinates me. I know that's probably not a really good answer, but what can I say? I found myself wanting the next episode to start immediately after the previous one ended. I just simply enjoyed it.

As for seeing the first 3 episodes, I was fortunate enough to be placed on the media/press list for screeners.

Undisclosed
    The most interesting would be the father and son that save Grimes' butt.
    I watched from the shovel to the face to the dinner scene and that's all I saw. The source material could have been titled Zombies for Dummies. I find Nicotero zombie makeup monotonous.

Undisclosed
    It's great that you enjoyed the pilot, Prof., and I don't wish to take anything away from that enjoyment. Critiquing TWD has nothing to do with Romero, however, and the series should be able to stand on its own merits. It was good and I'll tune in again, but in no way shape or form was it brilliant. I've based my viewpoint on what was shown and not on what I've read in TWD comic, on any comparisons to Romero's past work, good or bad, and certainly not on whether anyone agrees with me.

I also love Frank Darabont's work, but would never think to concern myself with who happens to be reigning "king" of zombie moviedom. Come on, wouldn't you agree that's best left to the real fanboys?

I liked the father and son characters, and Morgan clearly had the strongest scene in the pilot. Their story is interesting and you want to see them survive, but lo and behold, the "hero" has already left them behind. The bicycle girl corpse, on the other hand, was just silly and Grimes' dialog made putting her down even sillier. What was his attachment to this particular dead thing? Grimes gave less of a crap about one of his own deputies. He didn't even show one-tenth of concern before blowing the little girl away. Did he become numb to it all? There was also nothing about the bicycle girl that elicited sympathy; she just looked like an effect in which they were trying really hard to hide the fact that there was a human being under the make-up. Being reminded that dead are/were human beings is important.

Grimes was a real dingleberry considering his foresight to caution a distracted deputy at the road block. He turned his back on an overturned car with armed criminals, he carelessly wandered into a gas station/rest stop (without his weapon drawn) where it would be very easy to be taken by surprise; he openly approaches an unfamiliar house while calling out to the occupants inside without any idea if they may be alive, armed and want to blow his head off; he rides a horse directly into a city even though prior experience should have to told him the animal could become easily startled and impossible to control if panicked. Why didn't they take turns showering so that at least one person was on guard the entire time? Very lazy screenwriting that did little to intensify the threat of the undead. It actually takes away from the suspense.

On a related note, I really like those dead that looked like regular people with tortured expressions (one of them was crawling under the tank). The Kevin Bacon-looking walker was great (again, because it had human expression), but what I didn't care for was the white, pale faces sporting healthy flesh-tone necks.

Oh yeah... absolutely horrible, horrible, horrible suggestion that Romero direct any episodes of TWD. You'd think nobody has ever viewed his films to know that this one is simply not his style.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    DC, i gotta disagree with you on this; with all due respect, i think you've got your fanboy hat on a little too tight and it's affecting your thinking....romero's earlier works are good, but he's a terrible director compared to darabont. there's more emotion in those 2 scenes with morgan trying to put down his wife and rick putting bicycle girl out of her misery than any single romero film in its entirety.

blame it on budget, acting, whatever you want, but it's all a matter of opinion, and it seems the majority of opinions point towards the fact that romero's been dethroned. of course, everyone's entitled to their own opinion and you've made yours clear, but i don't think you're gonna find many who are in agreement.

by the way, aside from going further into the city once it became obvious that it was overrun with the dead and crawling under the tank once he was about to get devoured, what sort of mistakes did rick make in the pilot?

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    As for seeing the first 3 episodes, I was fortunate enough to be placed on the media/press list for screeners.
    You bastadge! As I've said, I don't wish to deride anyone's enjoyment of the series thus far. If TWD has made some of friends here happy, then that is good enough for me. I started this thread to offer a dissenting critique so that the intelligent viewers here might wish to discuss and debate it. The other thread has already sunk into a bevy of name-calling and infantile insults, so let's hope this one remains the nicer alternative (or I'll be forced to post that baby picture again).
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 02-Nov-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: update

Undisclosed
    It's way overrated. If any other dead film had the lead character making as many stupid mistakes as TWD's Rick Grimes, the fans would be screaming for their pound of flesh. The pilot was okay, and of course, there's no good reason not to see how it all plays out, but does anyone seriously care if any of these characters survive?
    wow, dude people on here will corn hole you for that one! lol
    I SMELL SOME POO...

United States
    well, i'd have to say that TWD is brilliant when compared to 95% of the garbage shows that are on television these days.

i see your point about rick approaching the house, but he was calling out and asking if anyone was around, so he was being slightly cautious about it. the rest stop is a good point as well i'll concede...with that many cars around, surely there was a possibility of a walker somewhere.

as for him leaving morgan and duane jones behind, he knew his wife and son were out there somewhere and with death around every corner and limitless dangers abounding, decided not to waste any time trying to find them to ensure their safety the best he could.

as for the bicycle girl, he was just paying her back for her letting him take the bike.... really, the way i looked at this was she was the first real zombie he'd seen and assuming he had to go that way on the way out of town, he probably decided to stop and put her out of her pathetic existence. perhaps he was trying to come to terms with what he was about to be facing and had the desire to remind himself just how horrendous and disgusting of creatures he was about to encounter.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 02-Nov-2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: re-arranged order of a couple statements

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    wow, dude people on here will corn hole you for that one! lol
    Did I mention that I can't wait?

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

well, i'd have to say that TWD is brilliant when compared to 95% of the garbage shows that are on television these days.
    I'll be the first to admit that there's nothing wrong with looking forward to a dramatic zombie series on television each week, even a less-than-brilliant one.

i see your point about rick approaching the house, but he was calling out and asking if anyone was around, so he was being slightly cautious about it. the rest stop is a good point as well i'll concede...with that many cars around, surely there was a possibility of a walker somewhere.
    Thanks for being open-minded enough to entertain and understand my points. I think the house scene in particular should have been used to demonstrate that he didn't only need to be cautious of walkers.

as for the bicycle girl, he was just paying her back for her letting him take the bike.... really, the way i looked at this was she was the first real zombie he'd seen and assuming he had to go that way on the way out of town, he probably decided to stop and put her out of her pathetic existence. perhaps he was trying to come to terms with what he was about to be facing and had the desire to face just how horrendous and disgusting of creatures he was about to encounter.
    I understood why, I just don't agree with how they portrayed it. Why did some of the walkers look really decomposed anyhow? How long was this guy in a coma?

as for him leaving morgan and duane jones behind, he knew his wife and son were out there somewhere and with death around every corner and limitless dangers abounding, decided not to waste any time trying to find them.
    Again, I understand why he chose to leave, but wouldn't he have a better chance to stay alive and reach his family if he and Morgan had stuck together? Okay, someone needs a smack upside the head for naming a character Duane Jones. Did you notice that Morgan came running out of the house holding a tire iron?
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 02-Nov-2010 at 05:11 AM. Reason: wrong smiley

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    I agree about the song at the end, that was one issue I had. It was jarring the first time I watched it.
    Yeah, I'll 2nd (3rd?) that one. That kind of thing works better in a promo, IMO. Kinda spoiled the gravitas of the moment for me. But it's a minor complaint, for me anyway.

As far as overrated? Meh. Depends on who you ask I suppose. It came in right about where I thought it would on my own personal scale. I do think it's a mistake to get into the whole "better than/worse than/as good as this-that-and-the-other" thing. I enjoyed it & think it was good on its own. I don't really need to comapre it to anything or anybody else. Not knocking anybody else that wants to. I suppose comparisons are inevitable. But I don't find any joy in such conversations. I'd rather just enjoy the thing in & of itself.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 02-Nov-2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Guess!

Dying

United States
    I have to agree with the last few posts, the song at the end did NOT fit the mood of the rest of the episode. Felt very cliche, like something they'd put at the end of Rescue Me or Sons of Anarchy, or any other show like them. (Neither of which I have an opinion on, nor am I saying they're cliche.) Probably my biggest complaint about the episode was this poor music selection. To be honest, a lot of the music was kinda weak, at least compared to the visual aspect. It wasn't nearly as bad as the Danny Elfman-esque score Survival got, but it wasn't as awesome as, say, the score to Zombi 2 or Dawn or Day. Those cheesy 80's synths made for much creepier music than this BSG dude is offering. I feel like I could compose a far more effective score to this pilot, tbch.

Also wasn't too fond of the conversation Shane and Rick had at the start of the episode, seemed forced. Not to mention a very lame thing to bitch about. The light switches being left on is that much of a hassle? Well just you wait a week, you're gonna wish you still had electricity to bitch about.

And while I'm on this rant, I must say that I didn't feel like Rick was inquisitive enough about what the fuck was going on when he woke up. Didn't seemed all that shocked about the dead walking, didn't seem to care about how long he was out for, didn't even ask when exactly everything went to shit.

Other than those quips though, I definitely enjoyed the fuck outta the Walking Dead. Best thing to happen to zombies since Shaun of the Dead. (Which was an honer I previously bestowed on Zombieland, but TWD is definitely better.)

United States
    @ DC:

when they are testing to see if there's hot water at the police station, morgan says that the power had been out for a month, so who knows how long rick was out for...i'd guess about 5 weeks. so maybe bicycle girl was one of the first to go.

and kirkman naming morgan jones' son duane was his way of nodding to mr. romero for getting the genre going and inspiring him to write his story.