Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on TWD

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The bicycle zombie reminded me of Brundlefly at the end of The Fly. Basically begging to die.

United States
    Liked this article over on The Exiled, author makes some good points about the writing quality in Walking Dead Season 1. Feel the burn...

Walking Dead: A Character Study
    http://exiledonline.com/walking-dead-a-character-study/

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Liked this article over on The Exiled, author makes some good points about the writing quality in Walking Dead Season 1. Feel the burn...

Walking Dead: A Character Study
    http://exiledonline.com/walking-dead-a-character-study/
    That's a horrible, ill-rendered, short-sighted article!

Yeah, you’re right, we already saw that hospital-wake-up-to-zombieland thing in 28 Days Later . I don’t know who did it first, the 28 Days Later filmmakers or Robert Kirkman...
    Fail on so many levels.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Here are two critical indictments of this article. After the second, I stopped reading.

"I hated the pilot so much I thought it couldn’t possibly be as bad as I made it out to be"

"The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile . If you suffered through those"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The bicycle zombie reminded me of Brundlefly at the end of The Fly. Basically begging to die.
    Yay! I love Brundlefly!
    Anyway, yes... there are good things and bad things about the series... as with everything. At least the make-up effects were some of the best of all time for the genre. The action/gore was perfect, as well.
    And that's what I'm here for.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    "The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile . If you suffered through those"
    I didn't even make it that far into the article. But yeah....that quote instantly invalidates anything this guy has to say...

In fact, for a moment there I thought it was a joke.
    Last edited by bassman; 21-Dec-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    A harsh article indeed. But, nevertheless, a very well written one. Had to laugh out loud at a couple of paragraphs. Sure it's meant to polarise, but it IS well written. I really enjoyed TWD for what it is and feels this 'exiled' should get that stick out of her arse and enjoy the damn zombie show, but still... the author raises some interesting points. Let's see:

"Kentucky cop Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his cop partner start off having one of those dismal getting-to-know-you-as-characters interludes where they talk about stuff in their lives that will all take on big resonance later, in what is supposed to be a convincing people-really-talk-like-this manner, only nobody really does."
    Not entirely unjustified criticism. That dialogue came right out of a bad, bad soap opera. Entirely unbelievable. The dialogue was one of the weak points of the series. Often very clichéd.

"a zombie show so slow and ponderous and pumped full of rancid triumph-of-the-human-spirit cliches it’ll make the critics sing for joy."And
    "the cartoon racist redneck and the black man who holds the key to his survival. I can’t think of a better example than that to illustrate just how swamped with meaning this show is."
    True. Vatos, Rick's little sermon before disembowelling that corpse, ... Weak, preachy moments that seemed very out of place if you take the zombie apocalypse serious. Ethics and the impact the zombie apocalypse has on them form the heart of the comic book IMO. Here it was often meh.

"Worrying about the ethics of “looting” in the middle of the apocalypse. But it’s not touching. It merely seems as if the characters have forgotten the plot of the show. Again. If they’re so addled they can’t remember their own ghastly predicament, it’s hard to stay invested."
    I've read this criticism over here a couple of times as well. The overall vibe of some episodes was way too cosy. A serious lack of dread and suspense could kill this series stone dead in it's second season if the makers aren't careful. I don't want to see yet another soap opera with the zombie encounter of the week thrown in for good measure.

Harsh and over the top. But there is some food for thought in there as well, no?
    Last edited by krisvds; 21-Dec-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: edit

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Thank God for the internet and its ability to give every fucking douchebag on the planet (myself included) a forum in which to be heard.
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    A harsh article indeed. But, nevertheless, a very well written one. Had to laugh out loud at a couple of paragraphs. Sure it's meant to polarise, but it IS well written. I really enjoyed TWD for what it is and feels this 'exiled' should get that stick out of her arse and enjoy the damn zombie show, but still... the author raises some interesting points. Let's see:

"Kentucky cop Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and his cop partner start off having one of those dismal getting-to-know-you-as-characters interludes where they talk about stuff in their lives that will all take on big resonance later, in what is supposed to be a convincing people-really-talk-like-this manner, only nobody really does."
    Not entirely unjustified criticism. That dialogue came right out of a bad, bad soap opera. Entirely unbelievable. The dialogue was one of the weak points of the series. Often very clichéd.

"a zombie show so slow and ponderous and pumped full of rancid triumph-of-the-human-spirit cliches it’ll make the critics sing for joy."And
    "the cartoon racist redneck and the black man who holds the key to his survival. I can’t think of a better example than that to illustrate just how swamped with meaning this show is."
    True. Vatos, Rick's little sermon before disembowelling that corpse, ... Weak, preachy moments that seemed very out of place if you take the zombie apocalypse serious. Ethics and the impact the zombie apocalypse has on them form the heart of the comic book IMO. Here it was often meh.

"Worrying about the ethics of “looting” in the middle of the apocalypse. But it’s not touching. It merely seems as if the characters have forgotten the plot of the show. Again. If they’re so addled they can’t remember their own ghastly predicament, it’s hard to stay invested."
    I've read this criticism over here a couple of times as well. The overall vibe of some episodes was way too cosy. A serious lack of dread and suspense could kill this series stone dead in it's second season if the makers aren't careful. I don't want to see yet another soap opera with the zombie encounter of the week thrown in for good measure.

Harsh and over the top. But there is some food for thought in there as well, no?
    Yes, and imo Episode 1 was oozing dread. The silent scenes drum-tight with suspense and the zombies representing a truly scary, swarming horde. What happened?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghoulman View Post
    Thank God for the internet and its ability to give every fucking douchebag on the planet (myself included) a forum in which to be heard.
    I'm not sure what to make of this comment. What are you getting at?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    After re-watching it... yes, Gemini, you're right... I think all that really changed was the added "soap-operaness"... other than that, I don't think anything else went wrong... I dunno, I'm no expert...