Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Absolutely Pointless 'How Many Times Have you Watched the Pilot' Thread

United States
    About 4 times for me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    twice, s'allright but i am not one of the guys uncontrollably jizzing his pants for 60 minutes straight. It was by no means bad at all, just not that strong a pilot. But then as i said in other threads, as an adaptation, most of it was padding and filler. I'll watch it if i can, but considering i am, series' to issues, about a decade ahead of the tv show in terms of the plot i'm not exactly chomping at the bit for "oh man, do you remember the time-" y'know?

But then zombies have reached an oversaturation point in all forms of media over the last decade so i'm either just looking for something a bit less 'romer-ey' in my zombie horror right now or i just need to leave it a while and come to it later when i'm more excited for it. right now i can take it or leave it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's one of the reasons i'm really glad to have not followed the comic series. I had a feeling the die hard fans of the comics would be underwhelmed by the adaptation. They usually always are. It's nice for me to not really know what's coming next.

Maybe they'll stick to what we've heard Darabont and Company say about changing it up for the fans. I'm sure they will throw in some curve balls as the show progresses.

As for the padding & filler - that's one of the things I loved about the pilot. It actually took the time to create an atmosphere and let it sink in rather than a "go, go, go!" pace like most horror films of today.
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Nov-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: 1

Twitching

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's one of the reasons i'm really glad to have not followed the comic series. I had a feeling the die hard fans of the comics would be underwhelmed by the adaptation. They usually always are. It's nice for me to not really know what's coming next.
    Maybe they'll stick to what we've heard Darabont and Company say about changing it up for the fans. I'm sure they will throw in some curve balls as the show progresses.

As for the padding & filler - that's one of the things I loved about the pilot. It actually took the time to create an atmosphere and let it sink in rather than a "go, go, go!" pace like most horror films of today.
    Agreed,
    I tend to believe that TWD TV adaptation will contain several serious plot departures from the comics, as they're already emphasizing that in interviews. Also agree that not having read the comics prolly does make watching the show more fun in some ways.

As for oversaturation of zombie material the last few years? Well, if you're talking about an oversaturation of SHITTY zombie movies, then yes. Hasn't been enough quality zombies flicks in the last 5 yrs to make one credible evening-long marathon.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    twice, s'allright but i am not one of the guys uncontrollably jizzing his pants for 60 minutes straight.
    So you are saying that you need a little recovery time before you can have another go at it? That happens, especially as you get older.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That is one of the most enjoyable things about TWD so far. I've griped about the pace because in places I think they belabor points, like when he's following the half-corpse through the park alongside Morgan trying to off his wife, or the scene in the police cruiser with the partner. But I'm glad they erred on the side of overdoing the build-up. One of my gripes with Land is that it presents a really compelling, interesting view into the zombie world and we see such a tiny glimpse of it. Land shot straight into plot while I was still trying to grasp their situation. If you look at 28 Weeks Later it did an awesome job of establishing the setting too (unfortunately followed by an absolute rape of a movie, but what the hay).

TWD did a great job of spending time letting us explore through eyes of the characters.
    Last edited by Trin; 05-Nov-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Fixing the stupid tags that the new forum refuses to generate right!!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.