Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hospital

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    The hospital is just difficult. As I said in one of the other threads, to me the 28 Days Later-ish start is a weakness of TWD.
    For the record,

A) the first issue of Walking Dead was "in the can" before 28 Days later was released. Kirkman had no idea that trope was going to be used,

and B) They both stole it from "Day of the Triffids".

just sayin'.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Oh, yeah, I get all that. And I don't think it's weak because it's a rip-off. I think it's weak because it's a gimmicky, jumpstart of a storyline with questionable plausibility. I think it's very important for a show like this to establish plausibility early, and having a potential wtf moment in the opening setup is on the edge.

To contrast, I think TWD did a lot of other things to establish plausibility outside of this one bit, so I don't think the overall plausibility is really an issue.

I just tend to think of it as a 28 Days Later start because that's the only place I've actually seen it done.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    In all fairness, it is a cheap trick to keep the protagonist out of the action.

But then again, Kirkman isn't finished with the comic series.

It could all still be a dream.

(Or is it?)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Since we've been keeping things fair....Romero also ripped off Matheson.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Nov-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: 1

Undisclosed
    Oh, yeah, I get all that. And I don't think it's weak because it's a rip-off. I think it's weak because it's a gimmicky, jumpstart of a storyline with questionable plausibility. I think it's very important for a show like this to establish plausibility early, and having a potential wtf moment in the opening setup is on the edge.
    The hospital scene while great, would have been twice as effective had the audience shared the main character's disorientation, like in Day of the Triffids and 28 Days Later. But due to the opening scene with the little girl, you're already aware that Grimes will survive the scene before it's even shown. I don't think it's a problem that TWD borrows this device from Triffids; Kirkman should just admit that's where he got the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Since we've been keeping things fair....Romero also ripped off Matheson.
    At least that's what Romero admits, but I think he equally stole from Hitchcock.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 04-Nov-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: update

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    That's what I was thinking too, from the inside. I don't see any reason someone would throw a grenade or fire artillery at a floor four stories up.

Remember all the wiring coming down from the ceiling as well? Perhaps it got too hot in a hallway or someone was cornered from both side of the hallway and decided to clear some space with a frag?

Now before you say he might have blown himself up too just think of the alternative of letting those things catch you.

People were hiding in the drop ceiling and walking on the support struts while holding onto the wire. The strut gave way and the fat SOB pulled the wire down with him dropping himself, a scared nurse, and a young cancer patient named Molly into the hungry and gaping maws of the recently undead.

United States
    I figured that the holes blown into the buildings may have been due to gas leaks going unchecked. It's even possible that someone shot as a gas line and caused a much more powerful explosion than anticipated. Like everyone says, it's fun to speculate!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    People were hiding in the drop ceiling and walking on the support struts while holding onto the wire. The strut gave way and the fat SOB pulled the wire down with him dropping himself, a scared nurse, and a young cancer patient named Molly into the hungry and gaping maws of the recently undead.
    Well, I say all this as someone who has not had the benefit of first reading the comic so thanks for the insight.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, I say all this as someone who has not had the benefit of first reading the comic so thanks for the insight.

That didn't happen in the comic, he just made that up! LOL

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well that proves i didn't read the comic then.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    What I'd really like to know is how long somebody could reasonably be expected to survive on only an IV drip. That alone could give us an out of world explanation for how long Rick was left alone. Personally, I'd like to think that somebody was keeping watch and was forced to leave/evacuated no more than a week before he wakes up. Though that also begs the question of his wound either being healed or still open/stitched together, making the bandage necessary, as the bandage itself didn't look too nasty or old.
    Last edited by childofgilead; 04-Nov-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: crappy keyboard
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I figured that the holes blown into the buildings may have been due to gas leaks going unchecked. It's even possible that someone shot as a gas line and caused a much more powerful explosion than anticipated. Like everyone says, it's fun to speculate!
    Or an oxygen line since those run to every room.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Or an oxygen line since those run to every room.
    Or a superhero battle.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    Or a superhero battle.
    Why would superheroes be battling? Aren't they usually all on the same side?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Why would superheroes be battling? Aren't they usually all on the same side?
    They spend a lot of time beating each other up over simple misunderstandings - have you read NO marvel comics, Dube?