Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've finally converted over to Blu Ray!!!

Super Moderator

United States
    Grats, Mike, but we've all moved onto 3D holocrystals now!

I made the jump to BR last year, myself, was a lot easier after the format wars died.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 05-Nov-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: ...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Today I picked up:

-Anchorman
    -No Country For Old Men
    -Zombieland
    -American Psycho
    -Cujo

The Anchorman set includes a mock diary of Ron Burgundy, which is a pretty amusing read, as well as 12 trading cards. It also has the unreleased "second" movie, Wake Up Ron Burgundy, which I still have yet to see. So I'm pretty excited for that one.

I've read good things about all of the transfers. I guess I'll find out tonight!

United States
    Will Blu-Ray players play and upconvert DVDs?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by tkane18 View Post
    si senor. And the upconverted dvds actually look fantastic. No need to replace every one of your standard dvds.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by tkane18 View Post
    I can't say if all will, but mine does. *shrug* That's what made it an easy choice. I don't even buy all blu rays at this point. I pick and choose depending on the sort of movie and how I feel about it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I can't say if all will, but mine does. *shrug* That's what made it an easy choice. I don't even buy all blu rays at this point. I pick and choose depending on the sort of movie and how I feel about it.
    That's sort of been my philosophy for BR's. I only buy them if:

A) the picture quality is outstanding and is considered a "must own"
    B) I don't already have it on HD-DVD
    C) I really care about having the flick in HD.

A & C sorta work hand-in-hand. Sometimes there's a movie I really want in HD, however, the picture quality on the BR sucks. In that case, I won't buy the BR then as I don't really see the point. I'll just stick with the standard DVD.

Also - I will never pay full price for a BR disc. Never. That should be rule #1.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    That's sort of been my philosophy for BR's. I only buy them if:

A) the picture quality is outstanding and is considered a "must own"
    B) I don't already have it on HD-DVD
    C) I really care about having the flick in HD.

A & C sorta work hand-in-hand. Sometimes there's a movie I really want in HD, however, the picture quality on the BR sucks. In that case, I won't buy the BR then as I don't really see the point. I'll just stick with the standard DVD.

Also - I will never pay full price for a BR disc. Never. That should be rule #1.
    The $9.99 price tag and free 3D glasses doesn't hurt either.

I only buy BR's myself, no sense in spending $5.00 less for the DVD when i can just get the Blu-Ray and better PQ, sound and extras. However, many titles, catalog titles especially I don't buy Day and Date... I wait until they hit the 2 for $20 bin.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Today I picked up:

-Anchorman
    -No Country For Old Men
    -Zombieland
    -American Psycho
    -Cujo

The Anchorman set includes a mock diary of Ron Burgundy, which is a pretty amusing read, as well as 12 trading cards. It also has the unreleased "second" movie, Wake Up Ron Burgundy, which I still have yet to see. So I'm pretty excited for that one.

I've read good things about all of the transfers. I guess I'll find out tonight!
    Mike, I must teahc you about imports. Some import versions of films have better PQ and not all Blu-Rays are region locked, a crappy feature of Blu-Ray and why HD DVD ruled because any HD DVD from anywhere int he world could play in any player, but anyway, it is better to import American psycho from Australia, it has a better transfer and correct Aspect ratio whereas the American version, although did get a correct AR, still has a crappy transfer.

Also when buying Gladiator and some other flicks, if you see the Yellow UPC code on the back grab that version as that is a re-issue that corrects problems the WHITE UPC coded version has and was quite annoying.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Mike, I must teahc you about imports. Some import versions of films have better PQ and not all Blu-Rays are region locked, a crappy feature of Blu-Ray and why HD DVD ruled because any HD DVD from anywhere int he world could play in any player, but anyway, it is better to import American psycho from Australia, it has a better transfer and correct Aspect ratio whereas the American version, although did get a correct AR, still has a crappy transfer.

Also when buying Gladiator and some other flicks, if you see the Yellow UPC code on the back grab that version as that is a re-issue that corrects problems the WHITE UPC coded version has and was quite annoying.
    Yeah, some of American Psycho looked really good, but then every scene involving the limo had this rolling contrast effect that was really distracting.

As far as yellow UPC codes go - my Saving Private Ryan DVD is a yellow UPC. I'll be sure to check every BD from here on out. Thanks!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Gladiator is the other with a yellow UPC, only Paramount does this... so be careful other titles don't always re-issue the UPC.

If you grab Full Metal Jacket don't get the one with the white art and helmet, get the other remastered one with the darker art.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*