Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Green Lantern: The New Star Wars?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    In this article, this dumbass explains why Green Lantern is a rip off of all other superhero movies.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/why-new-...s-so-familiar/
    i guess i must be a dumbass as well because i agree with most of that article. i'm glad at least somebody is apparently as sick of superhero movies as i am. some valid points presented in there, i'd say. lots of shots from that green lantern trailer looked very, very familiar, even on my first (and only) viewing.

i'm not knowledgeable at all about green lantern and don't care to be, and i don't like having to look at shirtless ryan reynolds walking around flexing his abs every chance he gets for 90+ minutes, and am sick to death of comic films, so i doubt i'll ever see this. not hatin on it, i just don't care about it at all. nothing in that trailer looks at all remarkable compared with the other previews for the other 75, maybe 100 superhero films released lately.

EDIT: and this reminds me of a discussion me and bass had in the shoutbox the other day...it's not that i'm sick of comic books being adapted, because i'm a huge fan of TWD, both the printed and moving picture formats...mainly due to human characters behaving like humans, the fantastic or stupendous part is the world they're living in... i'm sick of comic book adaptations about superheros, that shit is played out to the max over the several years and it's not showing any sign of stopping anytime soon. seriously, sit down with a pen and paper (or MS word/whatever mac app you use if you're unfamiliar with the former) and write down all the superhero films since, let's say, 1990...no other genre of films has been so mainstream for the last 2 decades and i'm fucking sick to death of it. it's not that i hate them, it just floods the cinema with forgettable pop-corn action flicks with lots of product placement, catchy music, pretty-boys and too-hot/perfect for real life females, and CGI-overkill...which leaves little room for the type of movies i prefer, which are usually dramas and serious films about believable and flawed characters in a realistic world dealing with sometimes very peculiar, yet still believable events.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 20-Nov-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: clarification

United States
    I think part of it is that #1 the technology has never been available to do them justice until now. #2 There are a lot of guys my age-ish who have always wanted to see these types of movies, but never thought they would because of reason #1. So between a built in audience + the tools to do them with= no big surprise.

I don't bear them any ill will one way or another. I don't see super hero movies automatically= less chance of "good" films being made. Hollywood is going to continue to adapt, remake, rip off & genrally crank out as much safe pap as they can, because it's all about business & they want to make as much money with as little effort & risk as possible. These movies don't change that one way or another.

So, I'm all for them as long as they're DONE WELL. GL LOOKS like it will be good, so I'd like to see it. Captain America & Thor? Not so much (to me), so I'll likely give 'em a pass, same as I did Daredevil, both Fantastic Four's, Wolverine, & any others that I can't remember that generally looked "dodgy" to me.

Now that I think about it, there probably have been as many misses as there have been hits on SH films. But that's the way it goes I guess. At least there HAVE been hits like Iron Man, Spider-Man, Dark Knight. If they turn out more films as good as THOSE, then I'll see 'em.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Like or hate superhero movies, I thought this article was funny because he was labeling GL as a copy cat based on the first trailer. Trailers are meant to appeal to a wide audience and most likely this was cut in a way to showcase Reynold's comedy, Lively's looks, and an overall Iron Man-ish tone. They're trying to sell the film to the widest audience possible. Not just the comic fans that know how great this source material is.

On top of that....to say that GL is copying other superhero cliches of late is downright funny because the character was invented a good twenty years before the rest of them. The only one that comes close is Batman, and it was only one year before GL. Plus there aren't any similarities there. Other than both being DC.

I understand how you could be tired of the Superhero genre because it's had several duds, but the same could be said about every genre. Fairytale/Wizardry films like LOTR or Potter, action movies, remakes, first person horror, etc. All of these and more are basically outstaying their welcome. That doesn't mean you have to see everyone of them or no more should be made. Just weed out what looks good and what doesn't. Most of them are fluff, but a select few tell really compelling stories.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    THIS. Is fucking epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbyJSbimX0Y

It may be deleted shortly, so my apologies if that happens. If not......whoa, right?

EDIT: replaced with better HD...
    Last edited by bassman; 03-Apr-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    HOLY FUCK.that looks rad.

United States
    Wow!! I wasn't sold on this before. . . but. . . . .just wow.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Looks kinda lame to me. The whole design of the film seems pretty ridiculous.

To be honest, it wreaks of another CG adventure with a stale plot. What is the plot anyway? A green dude with superpowers must save Earth?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    To be honest, it wreaks of another CG adventure with a stale plot. What is the plot anyway? A green dude with superpowers must save Earth?
    Nobody really knows the exact plot other than what villains will appear. But in a nutshell, it's the story of a fighter pilot named Hal Jordan becoming a member of the Green Lantern Corps - a sort of "space police" that protect the universe.

This "trailer" was shown at a convention for fans with prior knowledge of the property, so it's a bit vague on the descriptions. Just something to make the fans geek out.

As I said earlier, the exact plot is not known but it's definitely going to be CGI-heavy. Considering it takes place not just on Earth but in space and on Alien planets, the reliance on CG was a bit of a given.

United States
    About the CGI. . .The CGI suit is what I was worried about initially, but when Hal is around all the other CGI it looks a lot better. I still feel that it looks a bit odd in the "real" world context. But just as odd as Captain America's tiny body CGI. that just looks hilarious.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Looks kinda lame to me. The whole design of the film seems pretty ridiculous.

And I suppose it would be better if he were RED...?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Just an update on the film: Check it out.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1129610p1.html

I really don't know anything about this film... So hopefully if it's good it will be a nice surprise for me
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    And I suppose it would be better if he were RED...?

Uh, how about hell yeah? Red is cooler than green. Green is a pretty lame color to begin with!

United States
    Uh, how about hell yeah? Red is cooler than green. Green is a pretty lame color to begin with!
    Here's the closest you're gonna get:

(Oh Loooooooou.....!)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Actually..... Red Lanterns exist in the series. Don't know if they'll ever appear in the films, but they do exist.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Here's the closest you're gonna get:

(Oh Loooooooou.....!)
    eh, it can go closer.