Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Green Lantern: The New Star Wars?

United States

Okaaayy..I know they've done black & yellow & all that, but what's next?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Got those too, moon. Star Sapphire.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Got those too, moon. Star Sapphire.
    Well alrighty then...

WARNING: NOT WORK FRIENDLY!

To be fair, they're saying that's supposed to be violet though...

See, now THAT'S pink...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    New Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCJCHl2K4Dk

The trailers are getting better and better. Loved seeing the guardians and Hal's training with Sinestro and Kilowog.

Can't wait to see this next month!
    Last edited by bassman; 04-May-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Pardon my French, but F*CK YEAH!
    Awesome trailer. Can't wait. I may try to take off work early that day to beat the crowd. I wanna get superbaked for this, lay back, and trip out on it.

Administrator

England
    So why should I be excited about this film? Why so much hype about it?

I'm just concerned this is another super hero film where the rules are too vague so it loses any real sense of grounding/reality/believability?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I'm just concerned this is another super hero film where the rules are too vague so it loses any real sense of grounding/reality/believability?
    posting this in a forum about zombie movies.

not sure if serious....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    posting this in a forum about zombie movies.

not sure if serious....
    You're missing the point... Consider the following two zombie films:-
    1) The dead rise. They are slow shambling mindless monsters that if they see or hear you try and track you down and kill you.
    2) The dead rise. They instantly have super human abilities such as being able to pounce, and roar with strange unatural voices. They seemingly are able to track you down no matter where you are, and although seemingly mindless, are able spring out and appear from no where when required.

Which film is more believable? Which would you invest more belief in, and therefore most likely care more about? I suspect most people would suggest (1) because the 'rules' are simpler and more believable.

This is the beauty of Romero's early films. You only have to accept the one 'leap of faith' that the dead have risen, and from there the rules are generally utterly fair and believable!

Now, let's move onto the Green Lantern. I know nothing about it, but I believe he can create anything he wants? As such the worry is because seemingly 'anything goes' that the 'rules' could be so contrived that it's untterly unbelivable. Any character could do anything at anytime? It's akin to the script cheating?

As I said, I know nothing about the film, hence I'd like to know why so much +ve feelings seem to be surrounding it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm with Neil. But mostly because I think the film looks buttugly and ridiculous. Everything from the effects to the production design is just ridiculous. I can't invest any sort of emotion into this whatsoever. That guy who looks like a red elf makes me giggle. What the hell is up with that guys moustache?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm with Neil. But mostly because I think the film looks buttugly and ridiculous. Everything from the effects to the production design is just ridiculous. I can't invest any sort of emotion into this whatsoever. That guy who looks like a red elf makes me giggle. What the hell is up with that guys moustache?
    The bits I liked least in Thor was the intangible "magic" stuff... It's all good fun hokum, but when the 'rules' are clear, it's hard to believe or invest in the film/characters...

You need good solid rules - what ever they may be.
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

United States
    The bits I liked least in Thor was the intangible "magic" stuff... It's all good fun hokum, but when the 'rules' are clear, it's hard to believe or invest in the film/characters...

You need good solid rules - what ever they may be.
    There were good solid rules in Thor. He was a Norse god, magic IS the rule. Somehow I don't think that a Norse deity is going to show up with a scientifically-altered hammer that follows all the laws of physics.

You're missing the point... Consider the following two zombie films:-
    1) The dead rise. They are slow shambling mindless monsters that if they see or hear you try and track you down and kill you.
    2) The dead rise. They instantly have super human abilities such as being able to pounce, and roar with strange unatural voices. They seemingly are able to track you down no matter where you are, and although seemingly mindless, are able spring out and appear from no where when required.
    To be fair, neither one of those is believable, and who are we to say that option one is more likely to happen than option two if the dead were to rise? It would take quite the huge event to trigger real zombies, after all.

There's more than one huge leap of faith when it comes to watching Romero zombie movies as well. The dead rising, the dead wanting to eat people even though they don't actually have to eat to survive, a number of their senses still working, etc. I guess that's why I've never had a problem with fast zombies or superpowered zombies or whatever, because since I've decided to ignore so many problems already, what's a few more?

See, that's the thing about Green Lantern. It's never been based in reality. Don't look at it as a superhero film, look at it as a science fiction film. That's how the comic has been treated with a few exceptions. Is the ring really all that different from some of the things other sci-fi characters have used to gain extraordinary powers?

United States
    A character with over 50 years of continuity & you don't think there are rules goverening how his powers work?

If really interested, here is the article on the Power Rings: Power Ring

Short awnser, no, they can't do "anything". There are limitations.

I feel another "Wanted" snit coming on...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    There were good solid rules in Thor. He was a Norse god, magic IS the rule. Somehow I don't think that a Norse deity is going to show up with a scientifically-altered hammer that follows all the laws of physics.
    But there was lots of intangible hokum. Weapons could/couldn't hurt people, and some things happened seemingly just to prop up the script rather than due to a coherant rule set...

To be fair, neither one of those is believable, and who are we to say that option one is more likely to happen than option two if the dead were to rise? It would take quite the huge event to trigger real zombies, after all.

There's more than one huge leap of faith when it comes to watching Romero zombie movies as well. The dead rising, the dead wanting to eat people even though they don't actually have to eat to survive, a number of their senses still working, etc. I guess that's why I've never had a problem with fast zombies or superpowered zombies or whatever, because since I've decided to ignore so many problems already, what's a few more?
    I think you're (trying to) miss the point? Why the fuss about Hinzman's cemetary zombie? Because it went against the simple rules

See, that's the thing about Green Lantern. It's never been based in reality. Don't look at it as a superhero film, look at it as a science fiction film. That's how the comic has been treated with a few exceptions. Is the ring really all that different from some of the things other sci-fi characters have used to gain extraordinary powers?
    Not sure of your point? My concern is the premise of the Green Latern, that it may make the event so unaccountable that basically anything goes, so it feels completely unfair. Anyway, I'm sure as it was a populate comic book there are logical rules to the characters and what they can do etc, else it wouldn't have been popular
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Warner Brothers desperately needs to boost the marketing campaign on GL. Neil's comment/concerns are exactly what the general audience is seeing in the trailers. They're tailoring the marketing to the fans who are going to see the film regardless when they should be making the general audience understand a bit more.

So at this point I can understand the complaints. Anyone who knows about GL from the past source material is psyched for the film, while those without prior knowledge are left in the dark. It will be interesting to see what kind of word of mouth it gets closer to release.

Dying

United States
    But there was lots of intangible hokum. Weapons could/couldn't hurt people, and some things happened seemingly just to prop up the script rather than due to a coherant rule set...
    The Thor movie featured the same rules that the comics do. Now, granted, it wasn't explained all that well in the movie because it's not really a movie designed to have every detail analyzed, but there wasn't anything in it that didn't fit within the actual lore. Beings from Asgard (a realm of magic) and Midgard (a realm of science) interact differently with each other. Although a hammer to the face seems to work on both. Also, in the case of Thor himself, keep in mind that a lot of his power is tied in with Mjolnor. Without it, he's a lot less impressive.

I think you're (trying to) miss the point? Why the fuss about Hinzman's cemetary zombie? Because it went against the simple rules
    I'm not missing the point. I get what you were trying to get at. I just happen to completely disagree with it. You can't say that one set of rules for the dead rising are more plausible than another because it's a situation that can't possibly happen. Would radiation that could bring back the dead also give them superpowers? Who knows!

Not sure of your point? My concern is the premise of the Green Latern, that it may make the event so unaccountable that basically anything goes, so it feels completely unfair. Anyway, I'm sure as it was a populate comic book there are logical rules to the characters and what they can do etc, else it wouldn't have been popular
    My point is that Green Lantern is so fantastical and based so far out of reality that it doesn't have a real rules set. There are rules for the rings and lanterns, yes, and self-imposed rules by the Green Lantern Corps, but the rest of it is fair game. The guy once fought a living moon with a ring construct shaped like a boxing glove. If you're looking for a superhero movie, you won't really find one in Green Lantern. It's science fiction combined with fantasy and green tights. You have to be more open to the absurd to enjoy it.

Oh, and I highlighted that part for a reason. Don't be so sure that popular comic books have to have logical rules. After all, one of Marvel's most popular titles at the moment features this:

Yes, that's a raccoon. With a machine gun. In space.