Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Green Lantern: The New Star Wars?

Administrator

England
    ^^ Fingers crossed then!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well the critic reviews are out there. It's kind of a mixed bag, but I get the feeling that it will have a reception like Superman Returns. Love it or Hate it.

Looking through most of them, it appears one key note is that it's not a particularly 'deep' film. It's more of a comic book, two hour entertainment romp.

Luckily the reviewers I tend to agree with seem to enjoy it on some level, so here's hoping I can do the same in a few days.

Administrator

England
    The reviews have made stay away from it... Let me know your thoughts!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Dying

United States
    To put it into comic book movie terms, Green Lantern is a lot closer to Ghost Rider than it is to The Dark Knight.

I was disappointed, to say the least. Taking my comic book fandom completely out of the equation, it wasn't a very good science fiction movie. It was a shame, too. Thor wasn't too shabby and X-Men: First Class was great, so I went into Green Lantern with fairly high expectations. What I got instead was a mediocre villain portrayed by a guy that seemed determined to win a Razzie at all costs and a story that just kind of fizzled out as the movie went along. The movie clearly borrowed heavily from Geoff Johns' Secret Origins story arc but seemed to completely miss what made that story such a good read. I left the theater feeling like Green Lantern was nothing more than DC trying to one-up the Marvel style (the style, not the plot) used for Iron Man and coming up way short.

If this is how DC is going to treat the movie versions of their characters (excluding Superman and Batman), I don't want a Justice League movie. I don't even want any more solo films with characters like Flash. DC needs to go back to the drawing board and figure out why the Avengers movie is so eagerly anticipated and why when their own films are announced the first thing everyone says is, "I hope it doesn't suck."

After seeing the movie and re-reading this thread's title, I can safely say that, yes, Green Lantern is indeed the new Star Wars. The Star Wars that's infested with Jar Jar Binks and emo Anakin.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well-said, nemesis. I mean, um, Mitch. (Why do I dislike you? It doesn't even make sense to me!)
    Saw it today, and... huh. Not quite as impenetrable as Superman Returns for me (god DAMN, that movie made action boring!), but... yeah... It was like, 15% of the film was Michael Bay, and the rest was... Well, I don't know what. Or as the French say, je ne c'est quois. (I hope I spelled that right, I'm rusty). Not good, though. And what's with the hero being the 'doer' (typical muscly daredevil), and the villain being the 'thinker' (science nerd)? Stereotypes abound, if you look for them. Except the black woman, I guess. She was my favorite character. But yeah, I don't give a damn about the comics, and this movie didn't make me want to. Also, there's an animated series for it on the way. Probably won't be as good as its relative relative, Buzz Lightyear: Star Command.
    In conclusion, 2.3/5. X-Men: First Class gets 4/5.

Administrator

England
    Not seen the film myself - the reviews have put me off - but those who have might get a kick out of this? http://www.cinemablend.com/new/16-Bu...ert-25287.html
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    After a little mulling, I'd like to amend my rating of Green Lantern. 1.3/5.

United States
    I may try to catch it today. The reviews have been kind of offputting, but when I saw who was playing Sinestro...
    That guy was awesome in Kickass.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    After the recent negative reviews, I went into Green Lantern expecting the disaster that everyone has made it out to be. Well.....it's pretty damn far from the disaster they've been describing. Sure, there are things that I would have changed but in the end I found it to be an enjoyable 105 minutes at the movies.

One of the worst superhero films ever? Comparing it to Ghost Rider? PUH-LEASE. The film has it's faults but it's nowhere near THAT bad. Are people too damn critical to go to the cinema and have good time without picking movies to the bone? Even with it's faults, GL is a solid movie as a whole. It's getting a negative reaction that I just can't understand. I can understand if someone just doesn't like it but when they start comparing it to Ghost Rider and the worst movies ever made, I start to think there's some sort of built-in hatred for the character. It started with the first photos released, continued with the unfinished CGI effects in the trailers, and has come to a boil with the release of the film and reviews so negative that they seem to be calling for Martin Campbell's head on a stake.

Yet at the same time Iron Man gets praised as one of the best?? GL is no more memorable or forgetable than Iron Man. Both are just fun movies with basic plot points. The majority of reviews these days just baffle me...

Go into Green Lantern expecting a bit of fun and you should walk away with just that. It's on par with Iron Man. I had hoped for a bit more, but this movie is definitely no disaster. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jun-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: .

United States
    What's with all the dislike for "Ghost Rider"? Y'all a bunch of haters, that's what it is.

United States
    I liked it. It entertained me sufficiently for 2 hours. Never bored. It came off as a bit cheesy, but not over the top cheesy. It's not a deep movie at all, definitely about the flash and bang. But that isn't always so bad. I don't put it up with Ironman at all, but I liked it as much as Supe returns and Wolverine:Origins.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i liked it, i was entertained, but on the whole it wasn't dull it was...i guess a 'failure' i'd say. it showed the lamest parts of green lantern and we got mere glimpses of the best parts. i saw like 20 minutes of a great movie, the rest wasnt bad, just vanilla.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    What I got instead was a mediocre villain portrayed by a guy that seemed determined to win a Razzie at all costs...
    I thought Hammond was great! He had a very creepy and sleazy vibe about him that worked well, imo. They changed the origins of the character around, but for the movie I thought the actor did a great job with making the character unlikable and creepy while on screen. He didn't make me as uneasy as say Heath Ledger as the Joker, but he did great with the material at hand. If I had to single out any actor as not fitting too well it would be Blake Lively as Carol. She wasn't particularly bad, she just didn't seem to "be there". She was just kinda filling in space. Ryan Reynolds did a fine job, I thought. By the end of the movie he really felt like Hal to me. I would have liked to have seen what Bradley Cooper could have done with the role, but Reynolds filled the shoes just fine.

I mean.....without spoilers....the scene in the big battle where Reynolds quietly recites the oath? That was spot on. I had goosebumps and my eyes watered up with joy. Total nerd moment there. I wanted to stand up and scream the last lines of the oath with him! The whole time you-know-who was trying to corrupt him? Just awesome.

In all, I think the space and Oa scenes are what really made the movie for me. I would have liked to have seen more of those. BTW.....anyone see it in 3D? Thoughts? I went with 2D...

And in case you're one of those people that dart out of the theater when the credits start rolling....you missed a scene after the main title credits.
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Jun-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I would have liked to have seen what Bradley Cooper could have done with the role, but Reynolds filled the shoes just fine.
    I was pulling for the Bradster. There should be some kind of rule. Play a superhero, or supervillain, type of character and that's it. No more for you. I'm like, "Oh look, it's Deadpool. No wait, it's Green Lantern. No wait, it's Deadpool again..."
    I'll forgive it this time, but if he comes up playing someone else, I'm gonna be pissed, lol.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Or as the French say, je ne c'est quois. (I hope I spelled that right, I'm rusty).
    Close but no sigaar ;-)