Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Green Lantern: The New Star Wars?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I was pulling for the Bradster. There should be some kind of rule. Play a superhero, or supervillain, type of character and that's it. No more for you. I'm like, "Oh look, it's Deadpool. No wait, it's Green Lantern. No wait, it's Deadpool again..."
    I'll forgive it this time, but if he comes up playing someone else, I'm gonna be pissed, lol.
    I never had the deadpool problem. Wasn't a big fan of Wolverine or his character in Wolverine, so it didn't really make a difference. If anything, I kept seeing him as the guy from "Waiting...", "Just Friends", "Smokin Aces", etc. But I suppose Bradley Cooper would have just been "They guy from The Hangover and A-team"...

United States
    Ehhh, I guess I just pulled more for Coop when he was in the running, like I wanted Crispin Glover as the Joker instead of Heath. I thought, and hoped, he'd also make A TEAM not suck, but that was a huge turd . I guess I will weigh in on Ryan when I finally get to see this. Still trying to find time.
    And bud.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    And bud.
    I hear that stuff grows like a weed...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Six Things That Went Wrong With Green Lantern

Anyone agree/disagree with this criticism?

http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1177005p1.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Anyone agree/disagree with this criticism?
    I disagree with Parallax Diahrea, the CGI failing, Hector Hammond, and it ruining DCU's plans. While I agree they may have ruined something great in combining Krona and Parallax, I thought the effect of parallax was quite effective. The skeletons and flames made it kinda creepy. The CGI, with the exception of a few shots, was great. Hal's costume(a huge concern with fans) was actually quite good. Hector Hammond was a creep. I thought the actor did a fine job. He wasn't really scary, but a sleazy kind of guy you wouldn't want your kids around. The way his story is told parallel to Hal's is great, imo. As for DCU's plans? They've already said they're going to totally reboot the franchises in the next few years, so GL doesn't interfere with that at all.

I do agree with the others. We could have seen a lot more of the Corp, and Sinestro/Hal's relationship could've been a bit more explored, but these are things that can be improved on in sequels. I get the feeling these things may have been cut from the film to give it a shorter run time. Studio interference may have been an issue, as well.

These among other things keep the film from being great and set it only in the "alright" category...
    Last edited by bassman; 22-Jun-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: .

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I didn't like the costumes, and totally agreed with MovieBob from The Escapist that watching him flying in the suit just looked kinda like a CGI mess with his head floating around.
    Paralax was... Okay, I really didn't have any issues there.
    The Corps really should've gotten more screen time, and Sinestro just seemed like... A guy who was there... Y'know? Except for that one moment. But that was so brief and seemed pointless... *sigh* I dunno.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hopefully whoever directs the sequel can improve upon the original and deliver a movie that Green Lantern deserves rather than just 'okay'. It's kinda suspect that Martin Campbell announced he wouldn't return for a sequel months before the first film was even released. Another sign that leads me to believe too many studio heads had their hands in the pie...

Good to hear they're going ahead with it. GL definitely has the potential to be a great franchise.

United States
    You know I think most of the folks who complain the effects were complete shit just don't like cgi t obegin with. And hell I'm one of them. :-X But even I have to admit the effects are fine. In fact, that seems to be the one thing all reviews have come to a consensus on.

United States
    I have to admit I was kind of disappointed after it was over. The villain is a giant floating head thangie who kind of goes down in the end like a pussy. I was too busy laughing at that guy whose head started to look more like a giant walnut throughout the movie. It wasn't a horrible movie, but I was sandwiched into the first row, and they had banished it to one of their smallest theaters.
    I'm sure that might have influenced me some, but the lack of story left me sad all in my tummy. I never read any of the comics, but he was always one of my favorites on Saturday morning. I really wanted this one to be the Star Wars epicness talked about. It really had alot of hope, but they could've done alot more. Like when he was training. Looked like he was passed along/beaten every 5 minutes until he quit, might as well've just made a montage of his training to some hip new band's new hit single to the punishment inflicted.
    The Paralax thing looked cool, but the fight at the end blew it, though. Sinestro also needed alot more screen time, I wanted to see more of his dislike for Hal and insults. Just lots of things. Was I expecting too much going in?
    Other than Batman, WTF is wrong with DC movies?
    I hope whatever sequel they do to GL has something better to offer than this. While it wasn't the worst, I wasn't any better for seeing it.
    C+ at best.
    What will they ruin next... Hawkman?!?!?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Don't give them ideas, Ron!