Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... the UK premier has just finished..

Administrator

England

So... the UK premier has just finished..

And wow.. im impressed.. seriously i enjoyed it from start to finish! It captured the mood of the comic series really well, the zombies were really well done, i liked rick, even though as a avid reader of the comics i knew what was going to happen i found myself praying he didnt go into the city on the horse at the end.

Im really impressed and cant wait for part 2, now im gonna watch the first part again1 GO SKY PLUS!

Also on a unrelated note, is it just me or did FX not put a single commercial break in there? Amazing.. im hyper!

England
    I thought it was great, and as others have already said, the scenes with "bike girl" & the other guys wife were powerful tear jerking stuff! great atmosphere and very convincing "aftermath of an apocalypse". hats off to Andrew Lincoln too, I've always thought he was a decent actor from his role as "egg" in This Life years ago, but he's outshone himself here as Rick! I'm still suprised they got a brit in the role to be honest!

Administrator

England
    Yeah it is a brilliant bit of casting, he's exactly how i pictured rick would be in real life, seriously i cannot think of a better actor for the role.

Lori however, i always pictures being more attractive..

Seriously though, even dead set didnt have me as excited as this does. i cant wait for part 2.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    And wow.. im impressed.. seriously i enjoyed it from start to finish! It captured the mood of the comic series really well, the zombies were really well done, i liked rick, even though as a avid reader of the comics i knew what was going to happen i found myself praying he didnt go into the city on the horse at the end.

Im really impressed and cant wait for part 2, now im gonna watch the first part again1 GO SKY PLUS!

Also on a unrelated note, is it just me or did FX not put a single commercial break in there? Amazing.. im hyper!
    Yeah, they decided to show the premiere without adds...very wise and appreciated move.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Yeah, they decided to show the premiere without adds...very wise and appreciated move.
    Was there any difference Legion between the UK and US version?
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw it last night ... promptly Randy Marshed after the Rick/Morgan intercut sequence, which was the highlight of the episode for me. Pitched the nature of the show perfectly, and the bicycle zombie was wonderfully performed - there was a real pathos behind those dead eyes.

I'll blog about my thoughts in-full later on, and I'll try and do so for every episode too.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Okay, as promised, here at my thoughts in-full on TWD:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/11...-gone-bye.html

Dying

United States
    Without Romero we wouldn't have the zombie we all know and love - he's done more than enough for we horror fans - to expect him, after all these years and all these movies, to still be the same filmmaker he was in the 1960s through 1980s is unfair and entirely unrealistic.
    Personally I believe Romero is the same filmmaker he was during that period. It's more the audience that has changed. Romero continues to make movies according to his vision for what the zombie apocalypse should be, and that's absolutely fine. There's nothing wrong with that in the slightest, and he still has quite a few fans that are right there with him.

That's why I always shake my head whenever I read that Romero has lost his touch or is going off in the wrong direction. Romero has always done things his way; that hasn't changed. And isn't that why people fell in love with his work in the first place? I'm not saying that everyone has to like all of his stuff (I dislike a lot of the newer movies, for example), mind you, but I'd submit that Romero isn't really the one that has changed.

Banned User

Aaland
    I don't even know how to respond to what you said below

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchified View Post
    Personally I believe Romero is the same filmmaker he was during that period. It's more the audience that has changed. Romero continues to make movies according to his vision for what the zombie apocalypse should be, and that's absolutely fine. There's nothing wrong with that in the slightest, and he still has quite a few fans that are right there with him.

That's why I always shake my head whenever I read that Romero has lost his touch or is going off in the wrong direction. Romero has always done things his way; that hasn't changed. And isn't that why people fell in love with his work in the first place? I'm not saying that everyone has to like all of his stuff (I dislike a lot of the newer movies, for example), mind you, but I'd submit that Romero isn't really the one that has changed.

Dying

United States
    Look, all I'm saying is that Romero has always been a bit of a nutjob that has marched to his own beat. That's why, say, Dawn of the Dead was completely unlike anything that had come before it. As a director he hasn't changed over the years. He still makes movies that fit his vision and his vision alone. Just because a lot of fans of the genre don't like where those movies has gone doesn't mean that it's Romero that's changed.

As an audience we've been subjected to so much over the years (especially the past decade) in the zombie genre that the standards have gone up significantly. A lot of people feel that Romero is now below this new standard. I'm saying that this isn't because he's changed, though, it's because he HASN'T changed.

England
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Thats pretty much it.
    Welcome Mitch btw.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Banned User

Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by joeharley666 View Post
    I don't even know how to respond to what you said below
    Ok, I will say his vision could, well, maybe be the same, and his directing is the same? I would say , I'll give you that but to me still debatable. His writing style is totally different from the original trilogy. His last three are a joke as far being written and character building and suspense. He's fallin apart in those area's.

Dying

United States
    I have this sneaking suspicion (and I hope I'm wrong about this) that the reason the characters were developed so well in the first batch of movies was partly because the budget dictated that the zombies and special effects not be the focus. It seems like Romero has really had a hard on for blowing stuff up and random glory shots of zombie heads exploding since he's had more money to work with.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It seems like Romero has really had a hard on for blowing stuff up and random glory shots of zombie heads exploding since he's had more money to work with.
    ehhhh....in Night maybe I could see this being the case. But Dawn and Day? One of the early shots in Dawn is a head being blown off by a shotgun and then a car exploding...
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Nov-2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: .

Dying

United States
    I meant more the frequency of it and the complexity of the shot (erm, camera shot, not gunshot). It's the action that's getting more focus than the characters.

Banned User

Aaland

Word!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    ehhhh....in Night maybe I could see this being the case. But Dawn and Day? One of the early shots in Dawn is a head being blown off by a shotgun and then a car exploding...
    Totally agree, it becoming laughable and very embarrassing watching what he thinks is acceptable CGI. I'm also very tired of the same attack scene when the unsuspecting poor bastard gets taken from behind and gets his neck bitten, it's such blatant overkill. Like these characters are oblivious of the dangers around them. That whole cardiac zombie kill in "Survival" was down right masturbation on film.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

But the head explosion in "Dawn" fir the scene it and it Worked, so I disagree on that. It just that his kills now are so over the top, as if his characters themselves in the movie are trying to become more creative and inventing the ideas

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

I meant more the frequency of it and the complexity of the shot (erm, camera shot, not gunshot). It's the action that's getting more focus than the characters.
    I quoted the wrong post, I was actually agreeing with you Mitch