Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 4th episode - "Vatos"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As mentioned before, there were always extra people in the background of the camp. Not just the main characters...

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Yeah, Reedus is a likable actor & I didn't expect him to have much of a part, or if he did, about like Rookers, so this is nice. We'll see how far it continues.

he was a bastard in blade 2, but here he seems like the exact flipside of his brother.

Undisclosed
    I must say guys these keep gettin better & better!

Episode 4 was kick ass, totally felt the Dawn '78 vibe when they were sneaking through the alley!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Absolutely loved it. I thought this was the best episode yet so far. Non-stop all the way through.
    I completely agree! I just saw the episode and was surprised to stop in and see that both THXLEO and DJ thought something was off with it. Hell, I thought the pacing in this episode was great. Not only did we get solid performances, but things actually happened in this episode and I felt the flow and progression of the story was natural and satisfying.

I'll read more of the thread before I chime in with more, but I'm very pleased.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

England
    Have to agree with the folks calling this the best episode to date.

The attack on the camp was top fucking draw, watching zombies getting their arms blown off always makes me whoop and holler with delight!

Merles brother is shaping up to be a pretty useful killer to have around as well and a good character to have in the show (although he'll probably side with merle if he ever shows up again). That said, Merle is pretty fucking driven, he's gone through Hell and it looks like he is still standing (probably fueled by hate, revenge and self pity).

Some of the effects on display here are just sublime as well, the walkers really are "all messed up" and just look excellent.

Only downside is that we only have two episodes left until we get season two sometime next year...they need to get the season 1 BD/DVD out a.s.a.p!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    Episode three sucked. I thought this one was great.

The main character gave the guns away so for good karma essentially. He may need some friends up the line.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I wonder now, since Rick helpled arm the people at the old folks home, if the survivors now have potential allies in the Atlanta area? Seems to me that they would be thankful to Rick for helping them out and be willing to return the favor in the future...Just my thoughts.
    This is a valid musing IMO. The leader of those folks was obviously pretty reasonable and decent when he realised he didn't have to view Rick & co as looters/bandits/threats. So yeah, I can see our survivors being on good terms with that other crew in the future.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Number View Post
    It's funny, I tell my husband how amazed I am that people here nitpick to death this series. Come on people, this was a great episode and we have a friggin zombie series being well done on TV finally. Embrace it!

WN
    Wrong Number - Right Attitude!

An honest to goodness zombie TV series with a guaranteed second season to come...embrace it? I'm trying to get in it's pants!

I don't care what people think about the pacing of episode 4 or the handling of the gang...the zombie camp assault was just a joy to behold.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I completely agree! I just saw the episode and was surprised to stop in and see that both THXLEO and DJ thought something was off with it. Hell, I thought the pacing in this episode was great. Not only did we get solid performances, but things actually happened in this episode and I felt the flow and progression of the story was natural and satisfying.

I'll read more of the thread before I chime in with more, but I'm very pleased.
    I will say my problem with it is that I use the first episode to compare the entire series. With this episode it just didn't feel right. I am not saying that there is something majorly wrong with it... we got some good zombie carnage at the end, but everything leading up to it was sort of ho-hum. Now, the guy diging the holes, Jim, him having a mental moment and having to be restrained was a bit interesting, although restraining him to a tree was probably not the best idea considering zombies roam about... could have been another Merle moment, I would have found another way to isolate him from the others... maybe even using the RV.

Now my other problem with this episode was the Vatos themselves, but having had many latino friends growing up the diffusion of the situation was realistic because they have a lot of respect for their elders and family, and to be seen doing something like that by an elderly family member brings down a lot of scorn on them and their family does not easily forgive and forget... it is a catholic thing.

My biggest issue was how lax they were at the camp. Sorry I just don't buy it... considering a zombie already invaded the camp, why would you just let yourself act like all is ok. That was a bunch of BS. Sorry but there is no fucking way anyone would get that comfortable, especially in a zombie apocalypse. Forget the fact that zombie movies probably DO NOT exist in this universe and just go off the fact they learned what they know from news reports... knowing how dangerous those things are I just don't buy that Shane or anyone else would settle in like that especially since, like I said, a zombie already invaded the place.

Now, what I do like about the episode is the fact they have spent a lot of time int he city so far, and that to me has been a highlight of the show. Add to the fact that Rick, Glen and Daryl are my favorite characters I think this still has a lot of potential, i just hope that Season 2 doesn't make these same mistakes... They have a potential long term hit on their hands if they follow some simple rules for survival... I mean Kirkman and Nicotero are huge zombie fans, with greg being a Consulting producer I just can't buy that he wouldn't jump in and say... this wouldn't happen or fans may jump on this as a flaw.

If i were the consulting producer I would have probably gone through the screenplays and removed a lot of this dumbshit and definitely asked for a re-writer of the VATOS scenes. The storyline for VATOS had potential it was just poorly executed. the best thing about the episode was the Jim storyline and how uneasy he was and the fact he is slipping into a mental state that could be unsafe for everyone. This was probably the most realistic element of the entire episode and I thought it was pretty well executed... everything else was either "Chuffa" or just poorly written crap.

So far my favorite episodes are in this order

I am hoping 5 & 6 correct a lot of the issues from Episode 4. I am not saying that if it continues to decline I would stop watching, but if the rest of the episodes continue like #4 there is a good chane this show will die off pretty fast. I am surprised AMC and Darabont didn't go over the script and ask for more re-writes on that episode. While I love Kirkmans work in the comics... my personal feeling is he should stay away from writing anymore episodes, I know I am not the greatest writer either, but this is something that definitely needed more work.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I was just watching the Behind the Scenes of "Vatos" and it got me thinking. Are we sure that Nicotero was the "deer" zombie in "Tell It To The Frogs"? I'm not so sure that was him considering he's the one that bites Amy in the following episode....

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I was just watching the Behind the Scenes of "Vatos" and it got me thinking. Are we sure that Nicotero was the "deer" zombie in "Tell It To The Frogs"? I'm not so sure that was him considering he's the one that bites Amy in the following episode....
    Yeah, he plays both "characters":

I think [Walking Dead makeup supervisor] Greg Nicotero’s makeup job on the main zombie that appears in episode three is one of this best. And it’s also important to note that that is him, actually.
    He pops up quite a bit in the first six episodes. More than you’d think.
    http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/15/wa...kirkman-frogs/

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Greg Nicotero is the Eddie Murphy of zombie films.
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Nov-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: .

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Have to agree with the folks calling this the best episode to date.

The attack on the camp was top fucking draw, watching zombies getting their arms blown off always makes me whoop and holler with delight!

Merles brother is shaping up to be a pretty useful killer to have around as well and a good character to have in the show (although he'll probably side with merle if he ever shows up again). That said, Merle is pretty fucking driven, he's gone through Hell and it looks like he is still standing (probably fueled by hate, revenge and self pity).

Some of the effects on display here are just sublime as well, the walkers really are "all messed up" and just look excellent.

Only downside is that we only have two episodes left until we get season two sometime next year...they need to get the season 1 BD/DVD out a.s.a.p!
    "only way that Merle @ this point will turn up is if someone steps in zombie turd!" lmao

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Greg Nicotero is the Eddie Murphy of zombie films.
    wow i musta been high...i didn't realise he was part of this series, but not surprised after all he was groomed by Savini himself!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAD BEAT View Post
    wow i musta been high...i didn't realise he was part of this series, but not surprised after all he was groomed by Savini himself!
    What are you smoking?

He's a huge part of this series. Not just make up, but he's also a "consulting" producer. In interviews Darabont has said they've been friends for many years, so I guess that's why he brought him along. No better man for the job, really...

Undisclosed
    What are you smoking?

He's a huge part of this series. Not just make up, but he's also a "consulting" producer. In interviews Darabont has said they've been friends for many years, so I guess that's why he brought him along. No better man for the job, really...
    oh no doubt, Savini is winding down these days which pretty much leaves Greg to the thrown he's probably next to Savini one of the last Mohicans as far as zombie films go!

We all remember a young Nicotero smokin' dope in the original Day of the Dead, diffinitly would be my choice!

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

btw: Bass Sponge Bob looks like he just witnessed the funk which is Patrick pitchin' a loaf! lol
    I SMELL SOME POO...

England
    Looks like its true we won't get the 2nd season until Oct 11. One of the mid level characters was interviewed on one of the podcasts and he said AMC didn't want him back until May to start shooting again. Unless this guy gets separated from the group before the end of ep6, I'm taking that as a good indicator for a late next year premiere. Lincoln's also referred to early summer as "back to work"
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA