Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rockstar's L.A. Noire - debut trailer

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Nah, the faces are still in uncanny valley for me. I don't see the big deal.

United States
    still looking like a must-have in my book. the atmospheres and moods of all rockstar's big-time games have been superb till this point, primarily thinking of the GTA series, RDR series, and the warriors game.

gameplay and replayability lacked quite a bit in GTA 4 after the luster wore off, but they fixed most of that with the remarkable RDR online experience and the inclusion of several more challenges/objectives for the SP as well.

from what i've seen so far, it looks like they are doing a quality job of bringing another great setting and location to life with what is hopefully a great story...and think of how entertaining it'd be to play cops n robbers online with friends....
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 09-Feb-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: required, huh? whatever happened to optional?

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    2:41 - 2:43 ... who is willing to bet that's Courtney Gains?

The facial expressions and the way they talk is completely stunning. No video game has been so realistic.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Nice! I loved these kinds of videos leading up to the release to Red Dead Redemption, and this one is no different. Can't wait to see the rest.
    Ditto.

RDR was my GOTY for 2010, and I'm beginning to sense that L.A. Noire could be my GOTY for 2011.

I'm so up for 'sandbox L.A. Confidential' - to put it in a rather brief way - but this game looks very interesting indeed. A mixture of shooting, driving, and detective work. RDR mixed up the sandbox genre with a fresh setting, so I'm feeling that Noire is going to do that too. I can't wait to get my mits on it!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    The facial expressions and the way they talk is completely stunning. No video game has been so realistic.
    That's like a double edged sword for me. Some of the shots are amazing with the facial expressions, then in others they look kinda like a plastic doll with a face tacked on. Like a bad photoshop job. I'm not really complaining about the game, but maybe some shots look so good that it's detracting from others?

Either way....my anticipation is steadily building.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Will we be gunning for Rolo Tamassi, or be a Rolo Tamassi, I wonder?

Looks good, though.
    Nice LA Confidential Reference. LOL

Love that movie
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States

box art revealed

diggin' the cover, can't wait to check the game out.

Super Moderator

UK
    Can't wait to play this game. I'm having the same tingles as Red Dead Redemption gave me.

United States

Super Moderator

United States
    It does continue to look damned cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Can't wait to play this game. I'm having the same tingles as Red Dead Redemption gave me.
    Spare us your personal annotations about your tingles, MZ

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    as a huge fan of the show mad men, i gotta say that they picked a great actor to play the lead in this game. his work with "ken! cosgrove. accounts...." is awesome. rockstar's rendition of staton and his mannerisms and facial animations is spot-on and i'm willing to bet the woman at 1:47 is another actor from mad men who plays peggy olsen's mother.

the level of detail and attention put into this game continue to impress the hell out of me. gta4 was good, but needed to be improved, and TLaD and TBoGT dlc's (say that 3x fast) did just that. then came rdr, which i found to be a big step-up from gta and its expansions. hopefully the trend continues with this.

i'm let down that multiplayer hasn't been announced, as i can't believe that they would leave that out. if that's the case, then i'm really hoping the single player has tons of side missions and activities or a high replay value for the story. either way, this is my most eagerly anticipated game due out this year.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 11-Mar-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Spare us your personal annotations about your tingles, MZ
    But, but, they're so interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    as a huge fan of the show mad men, i gotta say that they picked a great actor to play the lead in this game. his work with "ken! cosgrove. accounts...." is awesome. rockstar's rendition of staton and his mannerisms and facial animations is spot-on and i'm willing to bet the woman at 1:47 is another actor from mad men who plays peggy olsen's mother.

the level of detail and attention put into this game continue to impress the hell out of me. gta4 was good, but needed to be improved, and TLaD and TBoGT dlc's (say that 3x fast) did just that. then came rdr, which i found to be a big step-up from gta and its expansions. hopefully the trend continues with this.

i'm let down that multiplayer hasn't been announced, as i can't believe that they would leave that out. if that's the case, then i'm really hoping the single player has tons of side missions and activities or a high replay value for the story. either way, this is my most eagerly anticipated game due out this year.
    Not every game needs multiplayer though. Indeed, it's pointless them all having it, as most will stop playing the MP relatively soon ... it's only the sorts who play Halo and CoD like a religion who keep it properly going long after release ... ... plus it probably wouldn't have worked out in this particular title. It makes sense in RDR because it's cowboys shooting at each other, and posses, and all that jazz ... but detectives looking for clues and reading facial expressions? Nothing in that screams multiplayer to me at all.

It's good to see focus on singleplayer though, I hate all this fascination and jizzing over multiplayer - like preview videos of shooters always focus on the goddamned MP rather than the SP, and it pisses me off ... but that's a rant I've done before.

Anyway, this looks genuinely kick ass, and I can't wait to play it. As for replay value, we'll see, but the fact that you can shut down avenues of investigation by asking the wrong question is intriguing - perhaps that'll lead to more replay value, although on the other hand if you already know the outcome then that could be an issue - but at the same time, there could be multiple endings, or you know, you might just want to replay it because it ends up being a spiffing game worthy of another bash.

I too am hoping there'll be plenty of side missions - and hopefully random events - I loved the random events in RDR, although some were more common than others, so it'd be cool to have some random events in this game - crimes that suddenly happen as you're driving/walking by (robberies, speeders, etc), so that'd be pretty damn cool. That would be pretty neat, just walking down the street and then suddenly there's a diner getting held up and you have to leap into action - that'd be cool.

Administrator

England
    Fingers crossed, but I just have this feeling some of it will be slow and ponderous...

Personally the new Call of Juarez game is floating my boat!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Fingers crossed, but I just have this feeling some of it will be slow and ponderous...

Personally the new Call of Juarez game is floating my boat!
    I would play the new CoJ, but as I've not played any of them yet, I'd wait until it was on sale. I've not even played Undead Nightmare, Bad Company 2, MoH, AC:Brotherhood, Dead Space 2 (or 1) or Arkham Asylum yet (etc)...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I would play the new CoJ, but as I've not played any of them yet, I'd wait until it was on sale. I've not even played Undead Nightmare, Bad Company 2, MoH, AC:Brotherhood, Dead Space 2 (or 1) or Arkham Asylum yet (etc)...
    The last CoJ (the western) was probably one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan