Thread: Due Date

United States

Due Date

So let me set this up right. I'm mulling over seeing Skyline and Due Date. Since I know that I can see Due Date later tonight online, though I still planned on seeing it at the movies this week, I chose Skyline instead. It also didn't hurt/help that my kid's friend was meeting us there and Due Date is rated R, and these guys are sticklers for following the rules. So...
    I'm surfing online whilst toking up to see any early reviews on Skyline, and they are ALL bad. Not a good one in the bunch...
    So I do a quick rethinking and decide to go for DD instead. I finish up the tokeness and head out. I got there right when the trailers started and kicked back.
    Now I've heard alot of talk about it pretty much being The Hangover Part Deux, but I'd have to disagree. I'd call it more Zach G's Vehicle Roling On Up The Hill To Stardom.
    I'm not a big fan of Downey Jr, he killed Iron Man for me, but he actually pulls this one off as the pissed off, unlucky bastard to Zach's complete off the wall antics.
    Sure, it's got alot of semi Hangover similarities, but so do pretty much all guy films. They meet up, hate each other for good reasons, and then find redemption in each others' arms at the end. Can't beat that...
    Bromance at its best, methinks. I've loved Zach since well before Hangover, he is finally getting his due.
    Now, to mention the Danny McBride cameo: hilarious. I don't want to give it away, but he kills.
    Now anyone can get all critique-y on me, but I'm telling you, the packed theater told a different story. Everyone let fly with guffaws galore. As biased as I am for Zach, I still give it a strong A-/B+. As far as the viewing experience tonight, it was an A+, but I prefer not to mislead. My original grade is based on the Sling Blade curve...
    This has the feelings of being akin to Role Models to I Love You, Man. This is less offensive, peniswise/horndogness, than The Hangover.
    All I can say is that tonight(and probably otherwise)... I liked it. And I bet I'd like it again. It just felt good to laugh. It was nice, for once, to go against my own personal grain and actually just like it. Not blindly, mind you...
    But more just let go and let flow. Have those specific instances ever happened to me?
    Well, admittedly... no.
    But I've had stranger happenings, and meetings/friendships, occur.
    Has anyone dared to see this? Is this the precursor to Wild Hawgs for me? Should I nail the last proverbial coffin nail in myself?
    I think most everyone here is around my age. Does this type of movie, done right, affect you the same? Is my waxing of nostalgia clouding mein vision?
    Someone, help Billy...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I'm surfing online whilst toking up
    This almost never ends well.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Ohhh, it helps more than you think in my case. Just kidding, I think of it as an enhancer. Do you have opinions on this, even if you haven't seen it?
    I had a longer reply but it disappeared, damn it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Downey Jr, he killed Iron Man for me
    Huh. Loved RDJ in IM. Totally nailed the multi billionare playboy with a heart of gold for me. In some hands that character could have come off as a total douche, but he made Stark loveable IMO. And I totally bought the character's "arc", he really sold it for me. He seemed to be in the saddle & riding hard in that role, having a great time playing it & I had a great time watching him in it. But hey, opinions vary.

Sorry, din't mean to threadjack, You're talking about a DIFFERENT movie. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post