View Poll Results: Favorite "Nightmare"?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street

11 55.00%
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

1 5.00%
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

6 30.00%
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

0 0%
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child

0 0%
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street 6: Freddy's Dead

0 0%
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street 7: New Nightmare

1 5.00%
  • A Nightmare On Elm Street 8/ Freddy Vs Jason

1 5.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite "Nightmare"?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Without a doubt, the first one.

All the other movies made Freddy seem like a third degree burn victim trying to be a comedian. Didn't work, wasn't scary, epic fail.
    Y'know, I'd had the image of "Freddy as Stand-Up" reinforced in my mind so much over the years that I was a BIT surprised in my recent rewatch of the series (1st in years) to find the humor wasn't QUITE as pronounced as I remembered. A lot of the "jokes" were actually kind of grim, sick humor (although I can think of at least one that was a total ).

Not to say this forgives or excuses. Or elevates. The first is 99% dead serious ("I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy" is the only "laugh" I can think of, & even that one is pretty sick.) It's creepy & twisted, & the paces Kruger put those kids through seems to genually be the product of a sick mind working with nightmares as his palate.

Just as an aside, #2 is pretty grim & humorless as well. Nary a joke in sight IIRC. It kind of makes one uncomfortable in OTHER ways , but I can appreciate it. It's kind of a dark & twisted piece of work.

The rest...eh... It gets worse as the series goes. "Giving the public what they want" I guess. Although there ARE some stand out moments even in the latter ones.("You shouldn'ta buried me...I ain't dead" is one of the creepiest, "oh fuck" lines I've ever seen in film, & Englund delivers t PERFECTLY).
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 15-Nov-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: acn't ytpe

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    A lot of the "jokes" were actually kind of grim, sick humor (although I can think of at least one that was a total ).
    The issue I take with the "jokes" is it takes away from the scariness of it all. Instead of waiting to see how Freddy is going to creep up behind someone and slice them in two, you're waiting for the inevitable "punchline before the kill" so-to-speak.

Just as an aside, #2 is pretty grim & humorless as well. Nary a joke in sight IIRC. It kind of makes one uncomfortable in OTHER ways , but I can appreciate it. It's kind of a dark & twisted piece of work.
    Yeah, if you're into the "homo" side of freddy..

The rest...eh... It gets worse as the series goes. "Giving the public what they want" I guess.
    Perhaps - although I'm part of that "public" and that was far from what I wanted.

United States
    Yeah. Not saying I disagree. I do have slightly mixed feelings on the subject, as I do enjoy the latter movies to a certain extent, but yeah, for the most part I agree.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Yeah. Not saying I disagree. I do have slightly mixed feelings on the subject, as I do enjoy the latter movies to a certain extent, but yeah, for the most part I agree.
    I'm just bummed what they did with the character. He has so much more potential to become such a scary figure in the horror world - and while he is regarded as one of the 'legends' - I see the character of Freddy a missed opportunity. He could've been so much more, know what i mean?

United States
    I'm just bummed what they did with the character. He has so much more potential to become such a scary figure in the horror world - and while he is regarded as one of the 'legends' - I see the character of Freddy a missed opportunity. He could've been so much more, know what i mean?
    I thought "A New Nightmare" was their approach in attempting to do this. As in, "Hey, let's take the concept of Freddy and attempt to actually make him scary as opposed to the silly thing he is now." I thought they did a really good job myself, but I seem to be a minority here in considering "A New Nightmare" to be a good flick (I'm used to it! I liked Rob Zombie's "Halloween" and have no shame in it!) with a really unique spin on horror films and was quite creative for the time it was made.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I thought "A New Nightmare" was their approach in attempting to do this. As in, "Hey, let's take the concept of Freddy and attempt to actually make him scary as opposed to the silly thing he is now." I thought they did a really good job myself, but I seem to be a minority here in considering "A New Nightmare" to be a good flick (I'm used to it! I liked Rob Zombie's "Halloween" and have no shame in it!) with a really unique spin on horror films and was quite creative for the time it was made.
    Actually, I think A New Nightmare was better than the rest of the sequels, but the first one still reigns supreme for me. You're right though, at least they attempted to bring it back to scary - but I don't think they quite achieved it as well as the first one. It's sad it took Wes Craven to try and bring him back around.

Blasphemy on that RZ/Halloween comment though, JP.

United States
    Blasphemy on that RZ/Halloween comment though, JP.
    If you hate 'blasphemy' then I probably shouldn't tell you that I liked Zombie's "Halloween 2" as well. (Now I'm looking around me to see who all are about to throw sharp objects in my direction).

j.p.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Is the Nightmare remake any good? Or anywhere near RZ's Halloween(I like it too)?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Is the Nightmare remake any good? Or anywhere near RZ's Halloween(I like it too)?
    I thought the "Nightmare" remake was equally as bad as the "Friday the 13th" remake. I thought both of them sucked a goose-egg as being worse for the stomach than eating a left-over bowl of Bert's Chili from Waffle House with a massive hang-over. The make-up in the new "Nightmare" is terrible too. Freddy's face looks like a burned cheese pizza.

On the other hand, I thought Rob Zombie's re-make of "Halloween" was exceptional and very well-done.

j.p.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I voted part 2. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

And I'm sure lou is gonna give me all types of shit for it though.

I like it because it's different than the rest.

It's a statement.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

I thought the "Nightmare" remake was equally as bad as the "Friday the 13th" remake. I thought both of them sucked a goose-egg as being worse for the stomach than eating a left-over bowl of Bert's Chili from Waffle House with a massive hang-over. The make-up in the new "Nightmare" is terrible too. Freddy's face looks like a burned cheese pizza.

On the other hand, I thought Rob Zombie's re-make of "Halloween" was exceptional and very well-done.

j.p.
    ^^^^^

This.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    If you hate 'blasphemy' then I probably shouldn't tell you that I liked Zombie's "Halloween 2" as well. (Now I'm looking around me to see who all are about to throw sharp objects in my direction).
    OH.....MY.....GOD!

*throws sharp metal object in the direction of JP*

UNACCEPTABLE!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Dear lord NO! It's fucking horrible, bassman. Especially if you're not a fan of the original - but regardless, that's an "avoid like the plague" movie.

*throws more sharp metal objects in the direction of JP for additional blasphemy*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'll sign the pro RZ Halloween petition too.

Boy, They're piling up now!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I'll sign the pro RZ Halloween petition too.

Boy, They're piling up now!

*picks up sharp metal objects thrown at JP and throws at los*

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I love them all (with the acception of part 2)!!! However, I really don't understand how someone could vote for Freddy VS Jason!!? That one really reminds me of Scooby Doo for some reason...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I love them all (with the acception of part 2)!!! However, I really don't understand how someone could vote for Freddy VS Jason!!? That one really reminds me of Scooby Doo for some reason...

I can see that. Never noticed before, but it's the "kids team up vs. the bad guys" I think. Except this doesn't end as well for Scoob & the gang. . I've come to appreciate 2 more. & I really like FvJ, all faults aside. It's 4-6 that I'm not a huge fan of. Thery're just...ugh. I dunno. Meh.