Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I have shamed myself... (again) - I watched.. Piranha 3D

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    It must be with a comment like that.
    Nope, Watched Piranha the day i started Chantix, and it could not have taken over my system that quickly to affect my judgement. So therefore my comment is legit and should be counted as such.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Nope, Watched Piranha the day i started Chantix, and it could not have taken over my system that quickly to affect my judgement. So therefore my comment is legit and should be counted as such.
    Oh, really? So when you ingest any drug, it takes days/weeks to take effect? <buzz> wong. Perhaps it takes weeks for you to start noticing a difference, but the minute you put that pill in your mouth and swallow, it affects you wether you realize it or not.

So, it must be the Chantix. What did I tell you about that shit?!

At least there's a valid explanation as to why you're so high on this film.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    DJ and his Chantix are taking over every thread around this place....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    DJ and his Chantix are taking over every thread around this place....
    It's almost like bacon, isn't it?

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm gonna pick up a copy of this on Blu-Ray soon, so I'll get to see what all the lurid fun is about.

Apparently Gianna Michaels is in it - so I'm looking forward to that. What's more, a 2 hour and 9 minute making-of ... I love me a making-of.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    and I expect an MZ review
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    and I expect an MZ review
    And I'll post it here as-and-when I've gathered my thoughts on it. Suffice to say for the moment though, I really enjoyed it. The anaglyph 3D is rubbish, but I watched it in 2D anyway to enjoy the visuals.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Now to just convince Lou it is a great movie
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So MZ enjoyed it, huh? Might have to give this one a puchase if the price is right. Sounds like good, giggling fun.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So MZ enjoyed it, huh? Might have to give this one a puchase if the price is right. Sounds like good, giggling fun.
    It's the sort of flick that features a Piranha regurgitating a half-eaten penis into the camera lens ... it's just all about the tits, gore, and fun.

Watched the 2 hour making of last night and they said over and over how they wanted to make a 1980s throwback horror movie where it was just a good bit of fun. Gore wise it's fantastic too, KNB got really creative with it.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

My thoughts on Piranha:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/02...-february.html
    Piranha 3D (Blu-Ray):
    I wasn't particularly interested in seeing this in the cinema - not least because of the jacked-up price of a 3D cinema ticket - and for the same amount of cash I was able to get the Blu-Ray, which features the movie in 2D as well as both Stereoscopic and Anaglyph 3D. I don't have a 3D telly, but if I knew someone who had one sometime in the future I could watch it over at their place.

As it is though I watched the flick in good old 2D - with a skim-through afterwards in Anaglyph 3D, which, let's be honest, hasn't improved as a technology in the slightest. Even in a darkened room the 3D effect was minimal at best, and just gave me sore eyes with the red/blue glasses. Perhaps the Stereoscopic version works better, but Anaglyph 3D - for sure - is still rubbish. In fact you can practically watch the Anaglyph 3D version without the glasses on as most of the time the layers are so close together there's barely any noticeable difference.

In 2D however it was an enjoyable, 1980s throwback-style romp. It's the sort of flick in which a CGI piranha regurgitates a bitten-off and half-eaten male member into the camera lens ... which pretty much sums up the approach this flick has to the subject matter at hand. It's not meant to be taken seriously by any stretch of the imagination, it's not supposed to be scary either - it's supposed to be lurid, funny, gross-out, and just a bloody good chuckle.

Richard Dreyfuss cameos as "a version of his Matt Hooper character from Jaws" at the very beginning, and indeed Christopher Lloyd resurrects his crowd-pleasing wild scientist schtick as a fish-fascinated pet shop owner. From the outset the flick is drenched in gore, nudity, and silliness - this is a movie custom made for six-pack home viewing with some buddies.

It licks along at a fair old pace too (the deleted scenes clearly being cut to keep the flick under 90 minutes, as they're mostly pretty good scenes in themselves), so it never outstays its welcome, and it all builds towards an end-of-second-act orgy of boobs, blood and gruesome gore at a marina party. It's an audacious, over-the-top, gag-a-second drag race through as many naked bodies and half-devoured limbs, torsos, and faces as possible - in no uncertain terms, KNB FX have royally out-done themselves on this flick. The gore is copious, entertaining, and endlessly creative - so you gore hounds are most definitely catered for here. In fact, it's the ideal teenage movie - chock full of sex, violence, and general daftness - I really enjoyed it as a 20-something, and I would have likewise enjoyed the hell out of it as a teenager.

Apparently a sequel is in the works, and if it's as good as this flick - one of the handful of worthwhile horror remakes out there (including The Hills Have Eyes, also directed by Alexandre Aja) - then I'll be there with bells on.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's the sort of flick that features a Piranha regurgitating a half-eaten penis into the camera lens ... it's just all about the tits, gore, and fun.

Watched the 2 hour making of last night and they said over and over how they wanted to make a 1980s throwback horror movie where it was just a good bit of fun. Gore wise it's fantastic too, KNB got really creative with it.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

My thoughts on Piranha:

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/02...-february.html

Good review there MZ. You pretty much mirrored my thoughts. BTW, the sequel is titled Pirahna 3 DD
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    3DD eh? lol - noiiice.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Finally got around to checking this thing out. My god that was sooooo awful. Just a horrible, horrible mess of a movie....

....and I loved every second of it!

Seriously, if you understand what you're sitting down to watch, it's a blast. Total cheese that kept me grinning the entire time. Picking the br up for four bucks at a closing Blockbuster makes it even better. I'm super happy with the purchase and can't wait to check out the special features.
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Mar-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, it's an enjoyable flick, and I too bought the BR on sale ... although $4 is a decidedly better price than what I got it for - but then, as I've said numerous times, BRs in the UK are piss-take expensive (like, Iron Man 2 still goes for £15, meanwhile you can get the DVD for £3-£5).

The deleted scenes/storyboard sequences are quite good - it's a shame they were cut mostly, but then you can totally understand why - pacing - but on their own, even in storyboard form, they're rather entertaining. Perhaps they could bring some of those pieces into the sequel...

The huge making of is pretty good too - although, I must say, a bit overlong in places ... but it certainly covers all the ground. Perhaps it's best viewed in chunks, rather than the 2+ hours in one sitting...