Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5th episode - "Wildfire"

United States

5th episode - "Wildfire"

One of the best episodes of the series and one of the most emotional as well. It does take a slightly awkward turn in the final segment, but it's still a great episode.
    This particular episode was directed by Ernest Dickerson, who started out in his career as a second unit camera operator on Day of the Dead in 1985.

United States
    That is an amazing little bit of life just being funny sometimes, start on zombies and years later around to helm the efforts on a zombie project again. Love it.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    One of the best episodes of the series and one of the most emotional as well. It does take a slightly awkward turn in the final segment, but it's still a great episode.
    This particular episode was directed by Ernest Dickerson, who started out in his career as a second unit camera operator on Day of the Dead in 1985.
    Nice bit of info. Keeping it in the extended family of sorts.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

England
    Looking forward again to this episode. After watching the sneak peak, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle Amys death. And Daryl pickaxing the corpses is always a bonus.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    yay, my DISH is back so i'm on this. ready...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Whoa. Great episode! Probably my favorite since the pilot. As Leo mentioned, the abrupt switch to the CDC toward the end was a bit jarring, but I can forgive that.

Can't wait to watch it again tomorrow after work. Sucks there's only one left....

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree with bassman... this has become my 2nd favorite episode.

Trivia kiddies. Episode Director Ernest Dickerson was 2nd Unit Director on Romero's DAY of the DEAD (1985)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Twitching

United States
    Well,
    First,

Shane drew down on Rick and was considering cold-blooded back-shooting murder until Dale chanced upon him in mid-decision. Good men do not CONSIDER murdering their "best friend" because they got their feelings hurt, or feel like something that wasn't theirs was taken from them.

All in all, an excellent episode.

The ending was a little vague for my tastes, and the previews less than promising, but I liked it. Mostly. Wasn't at all pulled in by TWD's version of the CDC under Wildfire protocols, but wasn't my script to write. The characterization was good as usual, but this was the first episode where I felt like it really didn't much matter what the characters did. Hoping Ep #6 does something to hint at purpose. I pray it ends strong, else we've got SERIOUS problems regarding the show's future.

Still, have hopes.

United States
    Holy shit! What a ride! When I think the show can't improve or become any better... it surprises me even more!

We now know that it can take a matter of HOURS for the dead to reanimate even after dying. It doesn't mean that it will always take so long -- but it seemed to have been at least a few hours (it was full dark when they were attacked, and it was full daylight at the beginning of the episode) for the dead to reanimate again. This seems more plausible to me than a matter of minutes -- the pathogen in the body becomes active after the individual dies and spreads like "wildfire" through the body -- culminating at least a few hours later.

Jim reminded me of Miguel from "Day" in this episode. Mostly because he seems to bare an uncanny resemblance with that beard. I commend him on his exit. Very heartfelt and emotional. I was hoping that Daryl would have stayed behind and moved on some small distance in the woods while Jim wasn't looking and then ended him (the person who stayed behind would have just had to walk up to the gas station a short distance up the road since they established they were close to one). No one should have to suffer becoming a zombie and being one. It would have been better if someone had gracefully put him out of his misery.

I absolutely loved the music that was playing while they were in the caravan out of the campsite. Very dramatic and emotional -- it fit the scene extremely well.

I'll be interested in seeing more (next week!) as to what happened to the rest of the staff at the CDC. Did they all abandon ship? It seems difficult for me to fathom, even under the circumstances, that there would only be ONE doctor still remaining even after the period of time that has elapsed. In a tragedy of this nature there would have to have been HUNDREDS of staff at the CDC. Something dramatic certainly had to happen to the rest of the staff there. There should be some type of explanation for this -- hopefully there will be as this doesn't seem very logical at this point. But, they just got there... so I'm not ranting about it is I'm sure the next episode will explain this.

At the end of the episode for the scenes for next week the doctor at the CDC says: "France seems to have been the last to hold out!". I must admit I started laughing after I heard this. C'mon, France! Really? I guess the Frogs are well prepared for a zombie apocalypse!

Anyway, just some initial reactions I had, I'm certain I'll think of quite a few more things to add.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I thought the episode was great... until the CDC shit. It would have been fine if it didn't open up for them at the end - if they just left and continued on an aimless journey. However, seeing that previews for the finale informs me that the final episode is going to take place pretty much entirely in the CDC. WTF??? That is a huge let down. CDC wasn't in the comic AT ALL and is really only holding back the awesome story to come.

Hopefully only, at most, the first half of the finale will be at the CDC and then they'll continue on to where they wind up next in the story arc. Leaving us with a view of what they discover so we can salivate over season 2. If they're smart, this is how it'll pan out...

Undisclosed
    Wildfire means that the cause of the dead coming back is most likely extraterrestrial in origin from Project Scoop. Andromeda DID NOT mutate into a non-infectious form as initially believed by Dr. Jeremy Stone after it escaped from Piedmont, NM and the original Wildfire facility.

It is not too late to initiate Directive 712.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I thought the episode was great... until the CDC shit. It would have been fine if it didn't open up for them at the end - if they just left and continued on an aimless journey. However, seeing that previews for the finale informs me that the final episode is going to take place pretty much entirely in the CDC. WTF??? That is a huge let down. CDC wasn't in the comic AT ALL and is really only holding back the awesome story to come.
    Personally, I'm looking forward to the intricate details of what all went on in the CDC. It would make for a great story. Plus, the CDC has communication capabilities with the USNORTHCOM, the White House, and the other branches of the government. It would be really fascinating to find out what all is known of the rest of the U.S.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Personally, I'm looking forward to the intricate details of what all went on in the CDC. It would make for a great story. Plus, the CDC has communication capabilities with the USNORTHCOM, the White House, and the other branches of the government. It would be really fascinating to find out what all is known of the rest of the U.S.

j.p.
    Yeah but, to end the season on that note? Seems like something that could have been filler half way through the season. If the season ends on the down note of "a bunch of people sitting around the CDC taking blood tests while Andrea cries in the shower" then season two will take a viewing hit.

Fingers crossed that I'm wrong and they're just not showing all of the awesome stuff they've got in store for the finale.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hopefully we SEE a lot of ANDREA in the SHOWER... that will keep me wanting more of Season 2.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Undisclosed
    i've read the comic since issue one, and i freaking *loved* this out-of-nowhere CDC stuff. i've been waiting for more of this kind of thing since Rhodes shot Dr. Logan! Check out the ep6 preview on amc.com - i love it!