Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody scared by living in the same place any of the films take place at?

Fresh Meat

United States

Anybody scared by living in the same place any of the films take place at?

woo hoo! post no. 2 for me. I'm curious, has anyone gotten an extra scare from living in a place where one of the films is set? I grew up in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, and when I saw the Dawn remake in the theater, and heard the radio announcer in Ana's car talking about places I'd been to and was familiar with, as being dangerous or being rescue stations, it really creeped me out bad. I don't think this movie is anywhere near the best of the bunch, but this little surprise really made the movie for me. Anyone else?

United States
    Hey-ho dere, fishfast, welcome to da boards dere.

(Good to have another Sconnie 'round here, Boy Howdy!)

Trouble with the Dawn remake - although it takes place in "My Home Town", it was filmed in Toronto.

So it doesn't really match up.

Hell, based on Ana's subdivision, the country roads she races down, and the shiny, modern mall they hide in, I figured the story actually takes place in Brookfield.

(For the rest of ya, Brookfield is a Suburban Hell just over the border in the next county. I actully saw the Dawn remake down the way from there - like anyone cares...)

I'm still trying to track down the tropical island in the middle of Lake Michigan...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I live just outside of Atlanta. So that's been pretty cool in the last few years with Zombieland and The Walking Dead. Not creepy so much, but just cool to see these familiar locations and the state in general getting some love.

United States
    I live next to monroeville mall.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post
    I'm still trying to track down the tropical island in the middle of Lake Michigan...
    As a Michigan native, I am also curious as to this mysterious tropical island in Lake Michigan. The best I can figure, it's either an artificial island, like Hydrobase (that the Avengers used as their HQ for a few years), or it was really the island from LOST.

I have been to Toronto to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame a few times and was shocked to see Cholo coming up the escalator from "the underground tunnels" into Kaufman's tower in Land of the Dead. I have been on that very escalator and it comes from the HoF gift store, not any underground tunnels. I have also stood in the atrium/lobby where all the rich people get eaten at the end of the film. It was so weird seeing all that on screen, as I have actually been there!

That had never happened to me before (or since) while watching a movie.

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    That'll be the parking lot then?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    As a Michigan native, I am also curious as to this mysterious tropical island in Lake Michigan. The best I can figure, it's either an artificial island, like Hydrobase (that the Avengers used as their HQ for a few years), or it was really the island from LOST.
    Maybe it's like Brigadoon...Briga doom?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trancelikestate View Post
    Lucky!

Fresh Meat

United States
    Hey,if anyplace around here deserves a Zompocalypse, its Brookfield or maybe The People's Republic of Madison. lol The island thing made me actually laugh out loud in the theater. The makers of the film obviously did their homework on the place names, but not the geography. And I am envious, would like to at least visit Monroeville Mall.

United States
    Madison?

I don't think zombies will eat either hippys or state senators.

Even the undead have standards...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Took me forever to find this thread. Why is it in the remakes section?

Anyway, I was just thinking about TWD and some of its shooting locations when I realized I've been to the quarry several times. My line of work involves going to several quarries and I know the area fairly well, so it took me only a matter of minutes to single it out. It's an abandoned Vulcan Materials Quarry just northwest of the main city. Actually within the perimeter.

LINK for satelite image. Just going off memory, I believe the camp would have been on the west side of the quarry? Possibly the east. I don't have the show in front of me at the moment.

I can't believe it never occured to me while watching the show. Anyway....thought maybe some would be interested.

Would there be any interest in a TWD locations map like the one we have for Romero's films? I know quite a few of the locations and I'm sure Skold could also help it out. Just a thought...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Dec-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfast41 View Post
    The island thing made me actually laugh out loud in the theater. The makers of the film obviously did their homework on the place names, but not the geography..

me too. who knew that the-land-that-time-forgot is in the middle of lake michigan.

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRay View Post

I don't think zombies will eat either hippys or state senators.

Even the undead have standards...
    indeed. a phish concert might be the safest place during a zombie rising.
    Last edited by Mike70; 11-Dec-2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: fark
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    indeed. a phish concert might be the safest place during a zombie rising.
    You won't need to cover yourself with zombie guts, just body odor and patchouli!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I like phish.

United States
    HAHA. I have dreads to my ass and i don't like phish hahaha. But then, i'm not a hippy. I love how people assume that though. Then they realize I just jumped out of a gas guzzler and decked them in the face with a t-bone hanging out of my mouth haha!

Hey Bass, I havn't been to Atlanta in years but i was thinking. It has to be north of the city right? There aren't any mountains to the south if i remember correct. Except stone mountain maybe? That was a lonnnnng time ago. Speaking of hippies being safe, why didn't they just go to little five points instead of the CDC?
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 11-Dec-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: ...