Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: DARABONT just axed the entire writing staff for TWD

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Frank Darabont is a hack! He's never made ANYTHING worth viewing!"

Last edited by bassman; 01-Dec-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: .

Twitching

United States
    One thing I dont like,
    This show lives or dies on the characterization. It just does, that simple. If you ever stop caring what happens to the characters, game over. That said, freelance writers worry me because TWD is ALSO very continuity-centric, with each episode building on the events of the last. I worry that with less staff and more freelance writers, that continuity and the nuanced development of characterizations COULD suffer. Don't know the future, and certainly HOPING Darabont has something in mind to combat that.

I mean, whoever made the Doctor Who analogies brushed up against a good point. If you look at say, the "Bad Wolf" overarching story arc, and a lot else that was going on in the show at that time, the continuity was tight as a drum and the characters were really consistent. By the time you get to Martha hooking up with the Doctor, and then Sarah Jane/Donna popping in an out again, you get slammed with some REALLY AWFUL characterization, cliched plot devices, unimaginative re-use of previous villains (Who else was SICK TO DEATH of all the Slythein (sp?) (The bloated green aliens who kept wanting to sell Earth and zipped themselves inside Human Suits.) I tangibly winced every time the camera flicked to one of those "villains", because I knew I was about to get assaulted by dialog written on the schoolyard level.

Pardon for meandering there, but what I'm getting at is when you begin mixing in generous proportions of freelancers, you by definition create a greater burden to keep the continuity tight and the feel of the characters "right". After all, different people write, well, DIFFERENTLY. So it can be really jarring if there's this major interpersonal drama/conflict going on between two or more members of the survivor group, and all of a sudden things go off at a ninety-degree angle because the now-active writer has a different take on the present/ongoing scene than the writer who crafted the first portion of the character conflict.

I write a lot of collaborative fiction. One of which thats been going for a LONG TIME now is a Marvel Zombies-based story I've been writing for in conjunction with anywhere from the five people we began with writing for the main character they crafted and primarily write for, down to 3 core people, back up to 4, down to 2, back to 3 people etc. What I've learned from this ongoing experience is that its IMPOSSIBLE to capture the feel of what someone else was doing. You do your best to craft a complimentary and compatible completion to the portion of the plot they began, but there's a noticeable line of demarcation, like where the thread-line is separating one square of cloth on a quilt from the next.

I guess that's pretty much the core of my concern. Now, if Darabont and/or Kirkman want to engage in extensive oversight personally, or hire someone specifically to smooth over such transitions between writers and make the change from one writer to the next writing for the same character as seamless as possible while also ensuring the continuity flows naturally and doesn't skip and stutter like a scratched CD, I have faith they're certainly CAPABLE of managing such a challenge.

It simply remains to be seen if they will give this issue the appropriate amount of vigilance and constant attention required to combat the trend of working with different writers in rapid succession. With a 13-episode run, they really dont have much room to falter for an episode or two each time a major corner is turned in the story.

Will have to wait and see, but I don't think my concern and lack of coverall faith as to how quickly and competently they'll manage this issue is entirely unjustified here. Like everyone else, I'm rooting for TWD like mad! Hell, it's the ONLY show I've been tuning in raptly week after week to watch. Even so far as the only show I feel any genuine attachment to. The rest of the TV lineup is, in view of my tastes, an absolute barren WASTELAND of insipid cookie-cutter dramas...melodramatic and formulaic pseudo-reality TV shows with the most tedious of subject matter as its substance. (Nation's best dog groomer, REALLY?!?!) Or how about Fat Camp TV, aka The Biggest Loser? (Aptly named, because a) Those folks are some of the biggest losers I've seen from even brief channel-surfing glimpses of show, and b) The quality of the show itself).

ALL the other shows I used to watch regularly are gone now, and nothing worthwhile took their place. In place of Stargate: SG-1/Atlantis we get the very ho-hum Stargate: Universe that's more like Lost on a big breaking-down spaceship than its predecessors. House was about the only Medical Drama I liked, but the last 2-3 seasons have been so painfully melodramatic, with such blatant ratings-whoring by constantly throwing future plot credibility under the bus in an attempt at cheap titillation of the fans. The list goes on and on, and on and on. I spend all my time on the computer or scouring old and a few new-ish movies for something to watch when back pain wont allow me to sit at the computer.

All that said, I hope its now self-explanatory that, despite some of the negative analyzing I've done, I AM a huge fan of this TWD show. I want it to succeed, and I want it to run for 10+ seasons. However, I was back in the day also a fan of Vampire: The Masquerade, and got very excited when Kindred: The Embraced first aired. At first it was like a Vampire: The Masquerade fan's dream come true, but within maybe half a dozen episodes it became obvious that what continuity did exist was painfully and poorly maintained, and the characters ended up as two-dimensional caricatures. No amount of fanboyishness could preserve my love for the show, despite my conceptual love affair with the roleplaying game and novel/novella world-setting it was based on and embodied by.

I don't want TWD to become another Kindred: The Embraced epic fail, that's all.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Added to the absolutely MORONIC decision to delay until NEXT HALLOWEEN before rolling out Season 2....
    Thank you!!!!

I been saying that for a while now. Next Halloween is just too long.

Yes, regular networks normally air around 20 episodes for a season but it takes the whole year. If you're on cable and only doing 13 then it almost HAS to be a bi annual thing.

You gotta strike while the iron is hot. In this instant gratification/ ADHD world we live in things get played out pretty quickly. To leave your product out of the spotlight for that long is a dangerous strategy me thinks.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    You gotta strike while the iron is hot. In this instant gratification/ ADHD world we live in things get played out pretty quickly. To leave your product out of the spotlight for that long is a dangerous strategy me thinks.
    Halloween is perfect for this. I see what you're getting at with the iron being hot and all, but with AMC's 15(?) or so year run of FEAR FEST, this show has an obvious kick off each year that will bring it right back on top. After all....it was October and FEAR FEST that built up the premiere this season and it worked phenomenally. Not to mention they re-run the first six episodes leading up to the premiere and badda bing. Right back where they were.

Other shows don't have this luxury. TWD basically has it's own holiday...
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Dec-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States

/brevity

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Thank you!!!!

I been saying that for a while now. Next Halloween is just too long.

Yes, regular networks normally air around 20 episodes for a season but it takes the whole year. If you're on cable and only doing 13 then it almost HAS to be a bi annual thing.

you shittin' me? next Halloween!

You probably hit it on the head dude, by next Halloween people are gonna think its a whole new series! lol

Darabont probaly isn't worried...judging by the shitty zombie flicks being put out lately i doubt he's worried about us not waiting for the new season!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Super Moderator

United States
    Exactly, Bass. I did a search for fanboy + panic, but couldn't get anything worthwhile.

It is cool that people are so passionate about the show they really hawk this sort of stuff, but--as you and others have stated already--no big deal, really.

Obviously, we will all hope they suitably vet/screen their new writers before giving them the go-ahead, especially with such a potentially valuable (i.e. highly rated/touted) program.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    the title of this thread reminded me of this:

she kinda reminds me of some the the people here, for some reason.

and i have total faith in AMC, darabont, kirkman, nicotero, and TWD.

United States
    Well, the only thing I will say is this: Darabont has never steered me wrong, so I see this as a non-issue.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

"Fuck you writers, I made Shawshank!!!"

I wanted to use one from ep 5, but decided against it for spoilers...

Axes get a lot of use in this series...
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Dec-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: .

England
    I think we will see if this is a good idea or not after we've actually watched a few episodes of season 2. No?

Oh, and Billy Ray...you are a baaad person.

My only real concern is the gap between season 1 and 2, I know we shouldn't really be worried about people with the attention span of a goldfish, but the more people regularly watching this the more chance we have of a glorious 5-10 year run.

That said, if you are going to come back to a series 3 months later, there is no reason you wouldn't come back to it 12 months later IMO. You either enjoy watching it and will return, or you didn't enjoy it and probably would have ditched it anyway.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 01-Dec-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: M-O-O-N Spells edit...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Halloween is perfect for this. I see what you're getting at with the iron being hot and all, but with AMC's 15(?) or so year run of FEAR FEST, this show has an obvious kick off each year that will bring it right back on top. After all....it was October and FEAR FEST that built up the premiere this season and it worked phenomenally. Not to mention they re-run the first six episodes leading up to the premiere and badda bing. Right back where they were.

Other shows don't have this luxury. TWD basically has it's own holiday...
    So how are we to celebrate this "TWD" day you speak of mortal?

Shall we joust and drink mead?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

England
    We could mutilate the recently deceased...just in case...ya know?
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    We could mutilate the recently deceased...just in case...ya know?
    The dead must be spiked !