Thread: DARABONT just axed the entire writing staff for TWD

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

DARABONT just axed the entire writing staff for TWD

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Yeah, found this too. Isn't this common in season to season shows though?

Scratch that the article answered my question.
    Last edited by Doc; 01-Dec-2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Realziation

Twitching

United States
    Not a terribly good sign,
    And that's added to the growing list of bad signs. Which also included that even Season 2 has a short episode-count run at 13, when 18-20 is considered minimum-normal for many major shows. Added to the absolutely MORONIC decision to delay until NEXT HALLOWEEN before rolling out Season 2....

Not saying anything definite. Just...when this many stormclouds begin to move in overhead, one generally gets caught in the downpour.

England
    13 episodes is normal for AMC.
    Maybe it's something to do with Kirkmans philosophy of giving unknown writers a chance. Some of the dialogue was terrible though and is one of the few annoyances I have with the show.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    ^^^^^^

Yeah, cable usually gets a 13-episode season while the networks typically do the 22-24.

United States
    Yeah. . .I don't really see this as a big deal. Don't Panic.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    so wheres the peopel who were saying "george who?" 5 weeks ago? darabont just killed the series........

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, this isn't a big deal to me. Besides, the 'freelance writers' model is often employed here in the UK on our shows. Sure, just like anything you'll get good and bad episodes, so hopefully the quality from episode-to-episode would be good ... because, for instance, with something like Torchwood or Doctor Who, some episodes are great, while some episodes are shockingly shit. Hopefully we don't get that with TWD Season 2.

And 13 episodes is entirely normal for a channel like AMC - shows like Dexter run for 12 episodes a season, and here in the UK we get a variety of lengths, but the likes of Doctor Who are usually 12 or 13 episodes with a Christmas Special bunged in at the end of the year.

They say the decision isn't final, so perhaps they'll have one or two 'staff writers' to help keep the continuity between episodes and provide a general 'over all arc' - which is what the head writers of Doctor Who etc do ... so maybe Darabont would fulfill that role, who knows.

Perhaps the people who won't be returning for Season 2 were, in a way, 'temps' or people who were specifically not in it for the long haul. Also, perhaps this proposed new way of writing the show would make it more cinematic, with each episode being written less like a TV series and more like a mini-movie ... albeit with an overall story spanning the season. It wouldn't be like Doctor Who, which has a common theme cropping up from time-to-time, but is for the most part at least, individual episodes. TWD isn't that kind of story, so perhaps we'll see a mixture of the two things.

Whatever though, I'm sure Darabont will be doing what's best for the show. It won't be some silly idea or some spiteful vengence or anything like that, it'll be for the betterment for the show I'm sure.

Regarding dialogue - I've found that, most of the time, the dialogue has been good in the show. It was in the comics that I found the dialogue to be a very mixed bag. It has improved with each new trade paperback I've read (I've done the first four now), but particularly in the first couple of trade paperbacks (issues 1 through 12), some of the dialogue was, frankly, piss poor - bloated with exposition that nobody would really say in real life. That was and is my biggest problem with TWD - the dialogue. Sometimes it's good, but on several occasions I've not been impressed with how some of the dialogue has been handled in the TWD books - as I've said, too much exposition where it doesn't fit, and sometimes generally just too wordy.

However, as I like to end on a positive note, I've seen the dialogue improve over the trade paperbacks that I've so far read, and there have been some genuinely terrific moments (such as in volumes 3 and 4) - so clearly the more Kirkman did, the better his dialogue got, so I'll be expecting to see the dialogue continue to improve and evolve as I continue to read the subsequent volumes.

Dialogue is always a tricky thing though. It's surprisingly hard to translate the words that would actually fall out of your mouth in a given situation, onto the page. What's in your brain, and what come out of your mouth are two different things - and when you're speaking you only get to say things once. When you're writing you can do multiple drafts - and in terms of bloated and ill-fitting exposition, that's an easy trap to fall into. I've fallen into it myself in the past, and still do from time-to-time - but I always force myself to thin the dialogue down and make it subtler in terms of explaining a given situation. Even stuff I've written from a couple of years ago I now look back on and just now think "no, no, no" as my writing has evolved with each new thing I write - but that's a good thing.

Considering that Kirkman wrote episode four, you could really see the evolution of his dialogue from Volume 1 of the comic from years ago, to this most recent work on the TV adaptation.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    darabont just killed the series........
    That's a pretty strong overreaction man. Like the Good Book says. . . .Don't Panic
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Like stated before....no big deal. At least wait until we get more information before we start pulling our hair out and making statements like "...killed the series..".

There could be any number of reasons why they let these writers go. Perhaps one of them is that they're moving ahead quickly with Season Two and most of those writers have since attached themselves to other jobs? Perhaps Darabont and Kirkman want to handle the bulk of the work? Perhaps freelance? There could be a million different reasons. None of which bother me...

After the enormous success of the first season, they're not going to let this go down the tubes. They'll throw Darabont and Kirkman whatever they want in order to keep the quality up...

EDIT:

And that's added to the growing list of bad signs. Which also included that even Season 2 has a short episode-count run at 13, when 18-20 is considered minimum-normal for many major shows. Added to the absolutely MORONIC decision to delay until NEXT HALLOWEEN before rolling out Season 2....
    AMC's seasons are generally around 13 episodes and just about every series on every other network are about a year apart. TWD Season One premiered on Halloween 2010, Season Two will most likely premiere Halloween 2011. That sounds like the norm, to me...
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Dec-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: .

United States
    This is not a bad thing really, I like the show so far, but some points annoy me. He has a hit on his hands and maybe he is going to allow more established or known writers to helm the project? Or maybe he has seen some work fro ma few little or unknown writers that "speaks to him".

Change is not a bad thing if done for the right reasons.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    What a fuckin' tool.....just like a prick to gain some success and think the people who helped him had nothing to do with it!

Very touchy subject for me so that's all i'll say about this one!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Some of you guys are REALLY taking this too hard. This doesn't mean Darabont is a "tool" or he's ruining the series or anything like that. We literally have no idea why they did this other than speculation. Or if Darabont even has anything to do with it. Chill....i'm sure everything will be fine...

United States
    "Why I'm leaving Frank Darabont..."

"Frank Darabont should just retire..."

"Frank Darabont raped my childhood..."

There. Got those out of the way...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Not a terribly good sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    darabont just killed the series........
    What are you guys talking about? Have you never read the books? The writing for the show hasn't been up to par with the books and has actually been god awful at points. This decision is a step in the RIGHT direction.