Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Blu Ray and DVD Release

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Info about the UK release:
    http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...uk-in-may.html

Also of note - Sainsbury's are selling the Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD version, so nevermind £26, it'll be £18 on their site. Just a tip for anyone that's interested. I must say it's mighty tempting ... but I just have my suspicions about a double-dip situation occurring with the show in the next few months prior to the launch of season two, you know?
    Cheers.
    Same here. If the premium edition doesn't turn up i'll go back and buy the barebones. Its worth it for the PQ alone
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I see that the UK DVD/Blu-Ray release has cut episodes on it - not at the hand of the BBFC, but instead they're pre-cut from America:

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/latest...king_Dead_3623

The pilot episode 1 is shown in its entirety rather than an (uncontentiously) shortened version shown on US TV.

But other episodes were cut for violence

* Episode 2: 9s of cuts to Rick dismembering a corpse with an axe and then delving around in its innards. See pictorial cuts details from movie-censorship.com.

* Episode 4: Missing two explicit and gory zombie bites in the scene where the camp is attacked near the end. One of these - where a young woman is bitten in the throat, with screams and gushing blood.

* Episode 5: 12s of cuts to Carol twice driving a pickaxe into the head of her dead husband. See pictorial cuts details from movie-censorship.com
    So I'm confused - was what we Brits saw on FXUK and Channel 5 cut or uncut?

I'd certainly hope that a Special Edition would be uncut - and hopefully there will be an S.E. release of the season in due course.

United States
    I'm hoping there will be a "Special Edition" blu-ray release of "The Walking Dead" to entice me to buy it. If it has lots of commentaries I'd be interested as I'm a commentary/special features whore. I love the stuff.

As it stands now, there's no reason for me to spend $$$ to purchase the blu-ray when I have already 'acquired' all the episodes to the show.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

England
    I see that the UK DVD/Blu-Ray release has cut episodes on it - not at the hand of the BBFC, but instead they're pre-cut from America:

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/latest...king_Dead_3623

So I'm confused - was what we Brits saw on FXUK and Channel 5 cut or uncut?

I'd certainly hope that a Special Edition would be uncut - and hopefully there will be an S.E. release of the season in due course.
    An update

We can now confirm what we were worried about: The UK Version released on Blu-ray equals the censored European pay-TV version of episode 2 and 5 which had been used for our comparisons. So the UK BD and probably the DVD as well are cut. Considered that, most likely every other European release in the next months will also only include the censored versions, taken from the same master.
    At least this only concerns episode 2 and 5 and not episode 1 as well. Episode 1 had to be cut around 20 minutes for the European pay-TV airing. The UK BD includes the uncut pilot episode.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Ireland
    I rented the Region 2 DVD's last night and can confirm that episodes 2, 3, 4 and 5 are cut. Some headshots, the "guts" scene from ep 2, the zombie eating the deer, Amy getting munched and other eating scenes.

So, not worth buying. Not worth renting either, imo.

Bloody disgrace.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Maybe the new three disc set won't be edited for R2. Here's hoping for you guys, anyway.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Maybe the new three disc set won't be edited for R2. Here's hoping for you guys, anyway.
    Aye! It better bloody had be!

More info and links to pictoral cuts - http://melonfarmers.wordpress.com/20...dead-season-1/
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Jul-2011 at 06:21 PM.

England
    Is the new special edition a reality? Any kind of release date?

I heard about the cuts on our DVD/BD relase and was looking at getting the R1 DVD (the US blu rays won't play with UK players).
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Is the new special edition a reality? Any kind of release date?
    Darabont broke the news in an interview that hit the web a few days ago. Three disc set with a confirmed feature-length documentary covering the entire first season. He didn't mention commentaries, but I imagine those will be on there as well. You can see the quote in the dedicated thread in the TWD forum.

More info and links to pictoral cuts - http://melonfarmers.wordpress.com/20...dead-season-1/
    That's a bummer. Were those shots also edited from the R2 television broadcasts or just the dvd release? They were definitely aired in the states, but I can't speak on the bare bones release.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jul-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Bass - if I remember correctly they were in the UK broadcast versions. In fact I'm 99.9% sure they were - which makes it all the more piss-annoying, but then again, I specifically avoided the R2 set currently out there due to it's piss-weak extras package. Now I'm glad I did, and I dearly hope they get their act together regarding uncut episodes.

Ireland
    I think the R2 DVDs and Blu's were sourced from a German TV cut.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think the R2 DVDs and Blu's were sourced from a German TV cut.
    Right! That's it! World War 3, here we go...

Administrator

England
    Bass - if I remember correctly they were in the UK broadcast versions. In fact I'm 99.9% sure they were - which makes it all the more piss-annoying, but then again, I specifically avoided the R2 set currently out there due to it's piss-weak extras package. Now I'm glad I did, and I dearly hope they get their act together regarding uncut episodes.
    If you're right, why do they release cut versions, and not the uncut ones
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If you're right, why do they release cut versions, and not the uncut ones
    Well if ours came from the German TV cuts - because Germany is, IIRC, within the R2 'zone' - then perhaps they 'did the files' first, so-to-speak, and then everyone else in the R2 'zone' got lumped with those. Some stupid thing like that, no doubt.

The new release had better darn well have the uncut episodes on them. I mean come on, people...

Ireland
    Yeh. I reckon it's more a case of mistake, than actual censorship here.