0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - As bad as it could be

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HPotD Offical "The Walking Dead" Poll

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A solid 8. Great show even though there is room for improvement.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I was close to voting a 9 but chose to vote 8 (and a strong one at that). There were clearly errors throughout the series and , I suspect future series will improve upon this one.

Loved series one though even with the warts!!!
    If Goonies never die are they all Zombies??!!

Being Attacked

United States
    Rated it a solid 8, loved it overall and so glad to see a serious well done effort in the genre. Had a few problems (VATOS I found insulting) but yay!

Fresh Meat

United States
    I give it a 9, I loved it,but there are a hell of a lot of loose ends to be cleaned up next season. There were also a few continuity problems-This needs to be done better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    A sturdy 7. A great series, with nice looking zombies and awesome production value.

However the zombies themselves seem awfully harmless, and to be honest the drama has been less than interesting at times.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I gave it an eight, I wish they would not have skipped the part when society is just starting to fall apart. I know they did a flash back to the hospital scene and that was a great part of the last episode. That's why I love the original Dawn of the Dead so much they showed the chaos and how thing fell apart.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    The first episode was OK, the second better, number 3,5,6 were massive let downs leaving ep4 as the real standout moment in the series.

Had some really really nice touches but fell massively short on providing us with characters and situations we hadn't seen a hundred times in maybe less polished productions.

Rick Grimes was good as the lead and the supporting cast all made sense, it was well cast and well acted mostly throughout - but it all boils down to "was this a lot of fun to watch" - some of it was, but after 6 weeks it could have delivered so much more.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    Episodes 1 and 4 were fantastic and indeed up there with the best the genre has to offer.
    I also liked the scene with cuffed Merle losing it while the zombies were banging on the door a lot. That was one intense moment! Fantastic make-up on those walkers as well.
    Kinda liked the tension of the finale, though the scifi bigass screen and the scientific explanation of the zombie-turn didn't work for me. That final explosion was pretty stupid as well.

Super Moderator

UK
    Why was the final explosion stupid? Because it was a bit of a stretch on the budget (and so not as visually impressive as you'd expect from a movie), or because of it just being an explosion - there was clearly reason for it, so that all the hideous viruses inside the CDC would be incinerated, as explained by Jenner.

I re-watched the ending of this episode just on it's own and it gave me chills - particularly the scene between Andrea and Dale - really powerful and chilling.

As for there 'not being enough zombies' - is it such a surprise? The CDC building is clearly on the outskirts of the city (as evidenced by the vast swathe of green just before the fade-out as the vehicles drive off), and as such there's not going to be many zombies roaming around - certainly not countless numbers of them. They caused a brief bit of fuss when entering the CDC and attacted nearby attention, but it was so brief that no other zombies would have been drawn out - so no doubt those killed as they fled the following day before the explosion happened, were those that they didn't kill which were coming for them the night before.

Meanwhile they'd been causing a hell of a lot of ruckus in the very heart of Atlanta, so the dead would still be milling around en mass there, and their hearing isn't going to be as good as a human's - and a human wouldn't be able to hear one man screaming from however far away - a mile, two miles, three miles even?

So it's pretty obvious - to me anyway - why there's so few zombies outside the CDC.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Why was the final explosion stupid? Because it was a bit of a stretch on the budget (and so not as visually impressive as you'd expect from a movie), or because of it just being an explosion - there was clearly reason for it, so that all the hideous viruses inside the CDC would be incinerated, as explained by Jenner.

I re-watched the ending of this episode just on it's own and it gave me chills - particularly the scene between Andrea and Dale - really powerful and chilling.
    No. Right. I see WHY the explosion was necessary. It's just theway it was handled visually that struck me as a bit silly.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    No. Right. I see WHY the explosion was necessary. It's just theway it was handled visually that struck me as a bit silly.
    Budget. Simple as.

I didn't find it silly, just a bit short on funds ... but it did the job regardless.

Or do you mean how the explosion occurred/how the building collapsed?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Dec-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Undisclosed
    I thought the show was aight, considering that there really isn't anything to watch on TV right now, with the exception of Dexter.

IMO the only interesting and characters identifiable with are:

1. Shane - The real screwed up person he is came out when he was drunk and when he pommelled that wife beating husband. I want to see what sets the guy off and what he does after going irrevisably beserk, which shouldn't take much now that everything has been yanked away from him after Rick showed up.

2. Glenn - An asian in a horror movie that isn't used for comic relief or an "expendable red shirt" is a refreshing change of pace. More history on him is needed or he will just fade into the background.

3. Rick - Considering he is what the story revolves around, well I guess they had to make him somewhat interesting.

4. Morgan - Even though he was only in 1/3 of an episode his character came across as genuine. I want to see how he resolves his wife becoming a zombie and if he joins up with the group.

The rest of the people seem to be just hanging around waiting to become zombie chow.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Budget. Simple as.

I didn't find it silly, just a bit short on funds ... but it did the job regardless.

Or do you mean how the explosion occurred/how the building collapsed?
    Just the CGI look of it. Short on funds probably.
    That's not all though. I liked the tension the countdown brought to the episode but on the other hand I found the whole 'race aginst the clock' a bit awkward. Like they wanted to go for the big explosion, 'action' ending but, as yoy said, were a bit too light on funds to pull it of. It's also very clichéd.
    I found the moments that were less 'Hollywood' to suit the genre better. That interaction between Dale and Andrea as you stated was more powerful than any explosion could be.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Dude, kris... you haven't seen a low-budget explosion until you've seen 'The End'. If you compare the CDC to that bull ring... looks like friggin' ILM.
    Anyway, I gave it a 9, because they really tried, dammit! And of course it's not perfect, but pretty much as close as one could hope for, I think! But yeah... episode 5 was almost total meh...