• 1 - As bad as it could be

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPotD Offical "The Walking Dead" Poll

Administrator

England

HPotD Offical "The Walking Dead" Poll

So, what did you make of it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I give it a strong 8. Wonderful in many many aspects, and lacking only in a few. I probably would have given it a 9 if I hadn't felt so underwhelmed at the finale.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

England
    I'm goin' balls to the wall...first ever zombie TV series - bench mark my friends, the standard by which all new comers will be judged for many decades to come.

Some may say that 9 is over generous, but I can't bring myself to give it anything less.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 06-Dec-2010 at 08:45 AM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    while it's not perfect, it's damn close.

almost chose 8, but decided 9 is more like it.

Undisclosed
    Had to go with 9 as well. Though The Walking Dead may not be a perfect work, I believe it is as close to perfect as we have ever gotten in this genre. MAJOR FUCKING KUDOS to Romero for creating the genre, to Kirkman for reinventing the genre, and last but certainly not least, Frank Darabont for progressing, by fucking light years, this wonderful genre!

England
    The fanboy in me was tempted to rate it a 10 but, having read the comic, I still don't think the tone was captured too well. Vatos was completely out of place and some of the dialogue was WTF moments.
    It's very very strong though and even though we don't have an ongoing zombie series to compare it to, I'm rating it an 8.
    My post apocalyptic juices have been awakened.
    Now what would I do if it was me in there situation. Hmmmmm
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would have to give it a 8 or 9. Went ahead an chose 9. An awesome mini-series so far. Can't wait to see next season!

Couldn't care less if it was close or far away from the source material. They're two totally different beasts. I don't think this was ever going to be Sin City levels of adaptation. As they've said in interviews, the comics are just the basic "path", but there will be many changes from that path. Season one proved that much...

United States
    Gave it a Strong 8......wish I would have went with a weak 9 now though
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I give it a strong 8. Wonderful in many many aspects, and lacking only in a few. I probably would have given it a 9 if I hadn't felt so underwhelmed at the finale.

I too gave it an 8 for failing to deliver in a few instances, some lack luster performances, and some hokey situations. (Vatos, and the CDC crap for example)

Ireland
    7 for me.

Hits some strong points (especially in makeup and the zombies themselves), but in the end there's too much fluff and not enough sticking to the flippin' story. There's also way too many equity members taking up screen time and a lot of bad moves with character and situation. There's a lack of danger, too, prevailent in the show. There were only a few times I felt that the characters were in any real threat. Too much of the time they're waltzing around without a care in the world. In other words...not enough zombies. The stars of the show in my opinion.

All in all though, it has me wanting more.

Pretty dreadful idea to limit the first series to 6 episodes.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Undisclosed
    Strong 8.

The series is like a love letter to classic Romero films. However: not as much subtext here as in the classics. Also: the focus on the human drama as opposed to action is what made the comics great but in the television series ... Well, let's just say that I feel there's a real danger that future episodes might get bogged down in soap series clichés.

Oh, and anyone hating on Romero's recent undead films and raving all over this series should have their heads examined.

Undisclosed
    wow! according to the poll most of us are thinking alike here!
    I SMELL SOME POO...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Strong 8.

The series is like a love letter to classic Romero films. However: not as much subtext here as in the classics. Also: the focus on the human drama as opposed to action is what made the comics great but in the television series ... Well, let's just say that I feel there's a real danger that future episodes might get bogged down in soap series clichés.

Oh, and anyone hating on Romero's recent undead films and raving all over this series should have their heads examined.
    And why should we have our heads examined? Because his recent films suck and this mini series, although not a masterpiece, is lightyears ahead of them?

And yeah, there were some moments especially in the 3rd episode where I thought I was recording a show off the lifetime or oxygen network.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Rated it a 9.

I loved it. Outside of the first episode, #5 was my favourite - and #6 was properly spiffing too, it had a real Dawn/Day vibe to it at certain moments, and the final act had me all wavering on the edge of my seat.

Now ... bring on the home video release!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post