View Poll Results: Which is superior?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romero's New Trilogy (Land-Diary-Survival)

7 12.96%
  • The Walking Dead

47 87.04%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which do you prefer? Romero's last 3 dead films or The Walking Dead?

United States

Do we even need a poll to express the superiority of TWD vs. the last three GAR films?

This is like asking me what I'd like to eat: bacon or a steaming mound of fresh dog shit.

Undisclosed
    Exactly what I was expecting.

I'm the silly sod who actually prefers Land and parts of Survival over most of TWD. Diary, not really.
    Stating that anyone who thinks along these lines is 'a drooling fanboy' raving over 'the social commentary genius' of GAR or should be in his 'cell' by now,... that's downright insulting.

But anyway: I really, really enjoyed TWD. I just don't understand all the hate Land etc is getting while so many of TWD's faults are ignored. I mean the 'Vatos' and 'CDC'-storylines are just plain silly. And some of the dialogue in TWD was just,... Well look at that initial dialogue between Shane and Rick in the policecar. Jesus, that was downright horrible.
    The focus on character's psychology? Man, some of TWD played out like just another American soap with zombies thrown into the mix. The main conflict this series is riding on: a guy sleeping with his best friends wife. Pffffff. They're gonna stretch and stretch that one 'till there is nothing of the comic books original tone left. Mark my words.

But hey, if you guys want to live in your perfect black and white worlds, be my guest. Instead of spouting insults why not try nuance next time huh?

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Although, for me, Land was probably the weakest of Romero's new trilogy, and Diary has jumped considerably in my opinions after a recent re-watch, I pretty much agree with Krisvds sentiments on this one.

I haven't voted yet, though, because I am yet to watch the entire WD series.

United States
    as neil would say, "oh dear"....

and all those criticisms aren't leveled directly at you. there's plenty of romero-worshipers around here who think everything the man does is pure gold. and the "social commentary = genius" thing isn't unique to you either...

but survival? dude, explain how that is better than any single episode of TWD...and what faults are you referring to? i said it wasn't perfect, but for fuck's sake, how can any thing make it worse than survival?!?!?
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 06-Dec-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: ......................................................................

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Speaking from my own point of view (I think you were directing your question at the other fella, but here's my justification anyway), it's not so much a matter of TWD being worse than Survival, it's simply that I enjoyed Survival more. It was more bizarre and offbeat, and it was more interesting to watch.

I think it all boils down to being bored with that kind of straight-laced, square-jawed, survival horror thing. I understand, however, that this is exactly what most of you want. I only need to have a quick read at the fiction section, and the racks of zombie short-fiction books that are slowly taking over the shelf-space of the horror sections in bookshops, to see that. And that's absolutely fine; it just means I like zombie movies for different reasons than most others. It's doesn't mean I think it is in any way "worse than survival". Not in any absolute sense.

Dying

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I only need to have a quick read at the fiction section, and the racks of zombie short-fiction books that are slowly taking over the shelf-space of the horror sections in bookshops, to see that.
    You clearly haven't seen Cover My Ass, available now in the HotD Fiction Section!

Shameless self-promotion aside, I get where you're coming from. The zombie genre as a whole is becoming stale as most of the characters and plots these days are following the same formulas ad nauseum. That's why something like a Shaun of the Dead is so refreshing when it comes out.

As someone that is a big fan of the offbeat and quirky, however, I still didn't like Survival of the Dead. It was like when you listen to someone that thinks he/she/it is witty when he/she/it really isn't; it comes off hollow. Now, I'm certainly not sitting here trying to tell you that you shouldn't enjoy it; if you do, more power to you. It certainly isn't the worst movie in existence. I'm just saying that for me personally, the reason I voted for The Walking Dead is because, while its themes and characters are overused to death, the presentation is just so much more coherent and well-executed.

Undisclosed
    It won't be long before people start to demand that any mention of George Romero be removed from the opening screen of Homepage of the Dead.

Super Moderator

United States
    Were I to make outrageous demands on the internet it would be for a cessation of all hyperbole

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    as neil would say, "oh dear"....

and all those criticisms aren't leveled directly at you. there's plenty of romero-worshipers around here who think everything the man does is pure gold. and the "social commentary = genius" thing isn't unique to you either...

but survival? dude, explain how that is better than any single episode of TWD...and what faults are you referring to? i said it wasn't perfect, but for fuck's sake, how can any thing make it worse than survival?!?!?
    Dude, this is the same guy who said that anyone who disagrees with him should have their heads examined...

And I know for a fact i remember an interview with GAr bck in the day where he clearly says he didn't intend for the satirc aspect of the films to come out as much as they did. Now I won't go into it any further as I cannot provide to source at this time. However...

What part of " I just thought it would be a cool idea to shoot a zombie film in a mall", aren't people getting?

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    It won't be long before people start to demand that any mention of George Romero be removed from the opening screen of Homepage of the Dead.
    Now there's an idea...

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

TWD should be added to this. And yeah....what it says is true. Now fight clean, boys!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

TWD should be added to this. And yeah....what it says is true. Now fight clean, boys!
    Gold dude!

And why is cooper smiling? I always knew that dude was some kinda freak.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Despite how much flakk I've given TWD, I think it's a superb work of zombiedom(?).

I still regret ever viewing Diarrhea Of The Dead (in theater, no less).

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I prefer last romero movies .even survival. at his best TWD is like survival. Itīs not THAT good, itīs mostly boring and Lame in some parts. itīs suppose to be serious but it has parts of stupidity all over the first season.i couldīn understand why people praise this with that blindness... oh donīt forget sitty cgi blood,explosions etc.. itīs not bad but lasGAR movs are solids pieces of old style zombie cinema

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Because the quality of the zombie genre has fallen so far that when even mediocre offerings are shown they are praised as if they were the second coming because let's face it, it feels atleast that long since we been waiting for a pay off from this genre that's kept disapointing us, with big contributions from GAr in that dept., by the way.

United States
    TWD is better than the last two outings, but not Land.
    Just my 2 cents worth...