View Poll Results: Which is superior?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romero's New Trilogy (Land-Diary-Survival)

7 12.96%
  • The Walking Dead

47 87.04%
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which do you prefer? Romero's last 3 dead films or The Walking Dead?

United States

Which do you prefer: Romero''s last 3 dead films or The Walking Dead?

okay, somebody just made a comment that had me scratching my head, talking about those who don't like romero's new films yet enjoy the walking dead needing to have their heads examined.

i know that many have said these 2 entries into the undead mythos aren't comparable, but i think that they are, and most of us can't help but draw comparisons between romero's works and TWD.

so, completely ignoring the original three (which are untouchable classics), do you prefer romero's latest dead films or the tv series the walking dead?

as for myself, i'd watch TWD any day of the week. while it's not perfect, it's the best zombies-on-filmstock thing i've seen in decades. if you ask me, romero's recent works are "meh" at best at downright fucking terrible at their worst. i know everyone's got their own opinion, but seriously, how can someone defend shit like survival and claim that it's as good, if not better, than what we've seen over the last 6 weeks?
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 06-Dec-2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: ..........................................................................

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No contest. TWD.

And I actually like Land...

England
    Uh oh. I predict that this thread will not end well.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Why is this even a poll and what made you think this would be divisive?

Lol i havnt seen more of a garuanteed one sided poll since the 'NOTLD, original or 30th anniversary' topic

Edit, ive changed the first option on your poll to make it abit clearer what your asking.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Why is this even a poll and what made you think this would be divisive?

Lol i havnt seen more of a garuanteed one sided poll since the 'NOTLD, original or 30th anniversary' topic
    I dunno man. I bet we'll get some people that choose romero's latest over TWD. After all....some people found Survival to be "smart and witty".
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Dec-2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: .

United States
    there's a few posts out there in the TWD threads that strike me as pretty anti-TWD, i just wanted to see what the general consensus was. and, like bass mentioned, in the survival thread, somebody thinks that survival is a great film and romero's apparently at the top of his game, or some shit....

now that season 1 is done, i figured it'd be a good time to sit back and gauge everyone's thoughts about it, and since this is a GAR fansite and that's the reason most of us were initially drawn here, i wanted to get an official viewpoint on just how far the mighty RUHMEROOOOO! has fallen.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 06-Dec-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: ..........................................................................................

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    okay, somebody just made a comment that had me scratching my head, talking about those who don't like romero's new films yet enjoy the walking dead needing to have their heads examined.

i know that many have said these 2 entries into the undead mythos aren't comparable, but i think that they are, and most of us can't help but draw comparisons between romero's works and TWD.

so, completely ignoring the original three (which are untouchable classics), do you prefer romero's latest dead films or the tv series the walking dead?

as for myself, i'd watch TWD any day of the week. while it's not perfect, it's the best zombies-on-filmstock thing i've seen in decades. if you ask me, romero's recent works are "meh" at best at downright fucking terrible at their worst. i know everyone's got their own opinion, but seriously, how can someone defend shit like survival and claim that it's as good, if not better, than what we've seen over the last 6 weeks?
    Simple.

They need their head examined.

Again, GAr's recent films are of the caliber of something you'd see as a sy-fy original at best.

TWD is the best the genre (Traditional shamblers) the genre has offered up in sometime. And what's more? It didn't disapoint!!

Unlike Gar's films we wait for years anticipating only to let out a collective, headscratching, "O.K. WTF was that all about.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Dying

United States
    The Walking Dead. And it isn't even close.

To be fair, a colonoscopy would be preferable to watching Diary and Survival again.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Voted TWD. And it's not even close.

This mini series is something I'd be proud to show off to some friends or to those just getting into the genre as representative of what it has to offer.

Gar's films, out of respect for him, I'll just say not so much.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, no contest.

There'll be some dissenters, but it should still be an avalanche, I'd think.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I dunno man. I bet we'll get some people that choose romero's latest over TWD. After all....some people found Survival to be "smart and witty".
    I Think the peple who found survival to be 'smart and witty' are all safely sedated in their cells by this time of the evening.

United States
    while i'm not writing off romero's future works entirely, i think that when news breaks of his inevitable and unnecessary "fruitcake of the dead" or whatever dumbass name they come up with, i'm going to have an "aw, fuck, not again" reaction.

which is totally unexpected. as many have stated, if i would've known 7 years ago that romero was gonna release 3 dead films in about 5 years, i'd have been pretty excited. but then if they told me the story arcs or showed me the films themselves, i'd have been in denial. "no way those came from the same guy who did the big three....no fucking way!"

and now, like i said, i couldn't give a fuck if romero ever made another zombie movie. in fact, i kinda hope he doesn't. try something else, just no more zombie films with your brilliant commentary (which is feel is kind of a fluke anywho, i seriously doubt he intended those first 3 films to be interpreted in the way they were....he just ran with it and tried too hard to recapture that essence in his last films...and failed, miserably, all three times.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Easy answer for me too. The Walking Dead wipes the floor with the recent trilogy even if it does have some faults here and there.

I really enjoyed Land as a stand alone but didnt like Diary at all, in fact I got nothing out of it what so ever. I have yet to see Survival.
    If Goonies never die are they all Zombies??!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    try something else, just no more zombie films with your brilliant commentary (which is feel is kind of a fluke anywho, i seriously doubt he intended those first 3 films to be interpreted in the way they were....he just ran with it and tried too hard to recapture that essence in his last films...and failed, miserably, all three times.
    Are you familiar with the term BINGO, At all?

United States
    glad somebody else feels that way.

while i'll concede that there are elements thrown in his older films that suggest he was thinking a bit along those lines, he's not the "legendary social commentary genius artist" or whatever title some drooling fan-boys adorn him with.

the way i see it, he heard and read that shit, was interviewed and questioned so much about it, that he actually started believing it himself...and then we get turds like land, diary, and survival, cuz all he wants to do is have a repeat of that magic and the sort of cult following/fan reverence most of his older films have.

people say he's not gonna try to make another night, dawn, or day, but i think that from all the years of chaps kissing his ass, he's gotten full of himself and actually tried to make another one of those films, or one close to it....only problem is that he's tried to hard, sacrificed plot, characters, etc for "THA MESSAGE!!!!!!!!" and fucked up his legacy big time.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 28-Nov-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: ..............................................................................