Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VIRUS WARNING spot thread - PLEASE REPORT ALL OCCURRENCES!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

VIRUS WARNING spot thread - PLEASE REPORT ALL OCCURRENCES!

Spotted this one at 12:25 AM (Eastern Time) on Tuesday, Dec 7. It attempted to redirect me to this website: http://checkwinonline.com/fps/q=jy7lno3o before my computer caught it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    if the page is loading slow in safari it shows in the history that each time i refresh the homepage its also taking me to another website as well that i cannot go to if i click on history, it just shows a visit registered there in the browser history. thats dodgy, but considering most ads pay per click on them its possible thats how some folks get it to count maybe and thats whats setting them off?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Same thing happened to me while in Neil's thread about the dog beating. http://checkwinonline.com/fps/q=jy7lno3o

9:01 am Eastern

United States
    Sat. Morning - was reading and new-tabbing threads just now.

From the Spider reboot thread was bopped over to the malware site again,

http: //pongeey.cz.cc/a111518/?u=37&t=1

And today, directed from the Jeffrey DeMunn Interview:

http://16792.pureguard35.com/xmsps/?...9fd=fzlzzwkkpl
    Last edited by BillyRay; 13-Dec-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: THE VIRUS IS EVERYWHERE!!!
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    just got the "reported attack page.....check winonline" message as i jumped to the "new posts" tab.

United States
    Just now while reading something on the old forums

Administrator

England
    Seems we're not alone!

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread635532/pg2

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f...arning-150631/

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=586697

Can I ask a favour! I fear it's an advert that does this? Would you agree with this? So if you get it again, can you make a note of the advert displayed on the page at the time? Or does it redirect the entire page from this site elsewhere?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Can I ask a favour! I fear it's an advert that does this? Would you agree with this? So if you get it again, can you make a note of the advert displayed on the page at the time? Or does it redirect the entire page from this site elsewhere?
    Alrught. Just now. Hadn't even signed in, was redirected to the "your computer has a virus" screen.

Got a quick glance, just barely, of the banner ad atop the page at the time - didn't get the sponsor, but it has a blond woman with glasses at the left hand side. I hope that this helps.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Can I ask any individual suffering from this gives me the following information:-
    1) What happened? Most people for example seem to be opening up a page on HPotD, to only then find their page completely redirected off to another site. Can you specify if you were taken off to another page, or if not, what? eg: A pop up with HPotD still in your browser window?
    2) The exact URL of the site you were redirected to?
    3) Any glimpse of what the advert was showing when you were redirected off?

ps: I'm in communication now with the advertising company about this. But the more information the better!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    for me, HPotD completely closes, then a tiny box opens disclaiming that a threat was found. Next a 'windows' screen opens and begins trying to download software onto my computer. I've always closed it in such a haste that I have never seen the url. Sorry.

Administrator

England
    So your main browser (at HPotD) closes, and you're left with a smaller pop up window (browser) at the redirected site?

Well, when it happens, if people can please supply the information I asked for, that would be most useful.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    For me, the window went to a mozilla warning page such as this (with exception that it listed the offending target address mentioned in my previous post on this topic):

No additional pop-ups or new windows opened for me.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    ^^ That's not very good surely? It doesn't tell the site/URL it was reporting?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^^ That's not very good surely? It doesn't tell the site/URL it was reporting?
    That's a proforma example of the warning page substituting a mozilla address in as an example. The one I received listed the offending page as checkwinonlinedotcom

Which seems to be a fairly notorious attack page from what I've been able to find.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's safe to say that the checkwinonline website is the problem. But what ad? I don't think anyone has had time to see it.