Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking Dead: What We Want From Season 2

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Walking Dead: What We Want From Season 2

This article is a good read and it's also a great title for a thread.

So, now that we have digested the first season what does everyone want to see in season 2 and beyond?

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1139122p1.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like every editor at IGN wants Michonne and Tyrese. They're both already confirmed for season 2 by Darabont. As mentioned, it just remains to be seen if they'll make it to the prison or bring in Michonne before. As much as I love the prison, I hope they take their time getting there. The road trip from the CDC, to the gated community and Farm could be fantastic.

Can you imagine how huge the Comic Con panel will be next year? I imagine they'll have footage and now that this show is a huge hit, it's going to be bigger than the friggin Batman and Superman panel.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Dec-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Looks like every editor at IGN wants Michonne and Tyrese.
    Count me among that group. However, the first season was more or less was original in terms of storyline, so I would not be surprised to not see those characters introduced ever, or maybe just in name only, but their characteristics, back story, etc. may be totally different.

United Kingdom
    Yep, at least Michonne. I don't want them to find the prison (if that's the way they're going) until the very end of season 2. Also, I think the

group of cannibals they come across in the books

would make a good storyline for season 2. As would

the twin brothers, one of whom Carl kills
    Last edited by Ghost Of War; 10-Dec-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: messed up the spoiler
    Kill 'em All

Twitching

United States
    I'm perfectly fine w/ them remaining "off book",
    Looking for some resolution to the Rick/Lori/Shane thing, as they're obviously depicting the man in a SEVERE downward spiral. BTW

Anyone else think it odd that Rick as a cop wouldn't recognize Shane's prominent 3-4 line-scratch-marks on his upper neck as the sort of telltale injury you might expect a criminal/someone guilty of some sort of assault/up-close fight to have? Will admit I couldnt see how they looked by the next morning when Rick saw them, but right when Lori did it you could've deleted the entire attack scene and fast-forwarded to Shane reeling back as she scratched him and I still woulda known what those scratches were.
    Anyone else? Thoughts?

Like one of the IGN editors said, I wouldn't mind seeing more flashbacks relating to main characters, but like him, only if they include the zombies already spreading. Oh, and as someone who hasnt read the comics

I am greatly intrigued by this "badass sniper Andrea" mentioned. I'd like to see that come about for Andrea. Character with a ton of potential (like most of the main chars), but she needs something more than Amy-grief after a bit of distance into Season 2.

Other than that, I'll just hold faith with the general consensus of the IGN folks. More as good as premier, less like Vatos and TS-19 (though at least there were several parts of TS-19 I enjoyed). The only episode I outright disliked was Vatos/#4. Just can't swallow those Heart-of-Gold-Gangbangers.

Oh, and the group needs to hit some supply paydirt in a BIG WAY fairly early in Season 2. Don't mind privation, but please no more 3 episodes in a row driven by resources that are absent. Show them having to adapt to doing without instead. Besides, if some of the comic canon stuff you guys want to happen does happen, they needs LOTS more bullets.

Dying

United States
    - I'd like to see a depiction of Michonne

dealing with the apocalypse alone. How she manages to shackle her dead boyfriend and his buddy and her turn into a cold, calculated bad-ass of an almost Brock Samson level. No, she isn't quite there, but shes the closest character in the comic to Brock with Abraham in second place.

- I'm looking forward to Hershells farm.
    - Obviously Tyreese
    - Definitely hoping they cast a good Maggie. She best be lookin' fine
    - A series of flashbacks similar to the hospital scene in the finale. I don't mind flashbacks, but not over excessive like the few episodes of Lost I actually watched seem to be. That was way too much.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    I'm perfectly fine w/ them remaining "off book",
    Looking for some resolution to the Rick/Lori/Shane thing, as they're obviously depicting the man in a SEVERE downward spiral. BTW

Anyone else think it odd that Rick as a cop wouldn't recognize Shane's prominent 3-4 line-scratch-marks on his upper neck as the sort of telltale injury you might expect a criminal/someone guilty of some sort of assault/up-close fight to have? Will admit I couldnt see how they looked by the next morning when Rick saw them, but right when Lori did it you could've deleted the entire attack scene and fast-forwarded to Shane reeling back as she scratched him and I still woulda known what those scratches were.
    Anyone else? Thoughts?
    There's a chance he already knows. In the comic -

Rick knows for a while but is in a bit of denial. Dale even straight up tells him that he thinks they're fucking around, but Rick just blocks it out. That source material coupled with what Dr Jenner whispered into Rick's ear after TAKING LORI'S BLOOD(wink wink) could suggest that maybe he already has an idea and is choosing not to accept it.

Like one of the IGN editors said, I wouldn't mind seeing more flashbacks relating to main characters, but like him, only if they include the zombies already spreading. Oh, and as someone who hasnt read the comics

I am greatly intrigued by this "badass sniper Andrea" mentioned. I'd like to see that come about for Andrea. Character with a ton of potential (like most of the main chars), but she needs something more than Amy-grief after a bit of distance into Season 2.
    Andrea gets much more than Amy grief. I'll put it in spoilers in case you choose to see what I mean....

She and Dale hook up and start doing "the deed" .
    That's of course IF they follow the comics....which it looks like it could be leading there...

As for Michonne - As much as I love the character, i'm not so sure a 100% translation will work in the series. It's all great for the comics, but when you factor it into a "real" world tv series, it might seem a bit too Paul WS Anderson-ish. A woman in Atlanta, Georgia with badass skills with Katana swords? Not to mention pet zombies? I'm not so sure how that would translate to screen...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Dec-2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Can you just imageine the backlash around here if GAr had even suggested having pet zombies!?!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Can you just imageine the backlash around here if GAr had even suggested having pet zombies!?!

True enough.

Just like so many took issue with GAR having zombies eating an animal in survival (sacrilege! he's making it up as he goes along! he's raping my childhood), while the walker eating a rat in TWD apparently equals: Darabont is the new king of the undead!!!!

I want more dread in the second season and less soap.

United States
    bass, michonne was a fencer in college. while fencing and katana-play are different, it at least establishes that she's got some ability with swords.

as for what i want, it's: (in order)

the whole "shane issue" to be resolved
    the gated community
    tyrese
    hershel's farm and family
    michonne
    discovery of the prison for the season finale

EDIT: and NO inclusion of mr. romero in any fashion with this show.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 10-Dec-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: .....................................................................

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    bass, michonne was a fencer in college. while fencing and katana-play are different, it at least establishes that she's got some ability with swords.
    True dat. Just the image of Michonne doesn't seem "right" to me. That's IF they do an exact translation from the comics. Just imagine the look of the show and then plop her character into the middle of it. It could work, i'm not saying it wont, but at this point it seems a bit iffy to me....

United States
    I really want to see the gated community, and I need for it to be done right. It was such a powerful part of the comic... and the prison. Well I love everything about that bit except the Governor was a bit over the top for me after the "chopping" bit it was hard for me to digest. I hope that is toned down for RL. Comics make the impossible and over the top seem mundane. I do not feel that will translate well to the screen if left as is.

I also agree with Bass, she Mich is another character that works in comics that needs to be toned down for television and movies. I love the comics, and I love her n them but on screen I think we would be running into Buffy the vampire slayer over the top action and it just would feel very out of place.
    Last edited by Thorn; 10-Dec-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: to add about Mich

Undisclosed
    I want to see more of Morgan and Dwayne since they make a much better father/son story. Up until now Carl has just been a puppy that follows Rick around, eats and sleeps.

Twitching

United States
    Well,
    It sounds like this Michonne is something of a classic "Trenchcoat" character. Ie: The prototypical trenchcoat-wearing, katana and/or dual-pistol wielding, mirrored shades-having action hero(ine). Having no knowledge of the comics, I'm unable to speak to how well or poorly direct-translation of this or that as-yet-unintroduced to TV character will pan out. Will say this though: Katanas are PISS POOR weapons to try and do zombie-termination-level damage with. Something like a Falchion, some shortswords, or a broad/bastard-sword would work much better. Light slashing weapons don't have the prerequisite "Oomph" and piercing weapons rely on penetrating some VERY small moving targets. Obviously something a Knight would carry is unfeasible for a modern setting (plus, even if someone COULD use it, where are you going to find a fit-for-combat broadsword?

The heavy-bladed but well-balanced chopping-style Gladius would be ideal. Not the classic late Roman Centurion version, the early Roman or eastern Gaulish (French) version. Light enough to be used common-sense style like a machete, but with an edge and blade thickness/durability/flexibility that would make taking a head with it as easy as anything short of a battle-axe.

If you had guts you could use a heavy-duty garotte and just saw back and forth until you breached the spinal column, but thats got human hands too close to zombie mouths IMO.

Damn, the more I try to think of many reasonably "Ideal" melee combat weapons Vs. zombies in a modern setting with an eye to availability and ease of us, the more the list seems to narrow to what we've already seen. Fire axes, heavy pipes/bludgeons and baseball bats. Nothing wrong with that. If you could find some athletic tape to wrap round and round a nice prybar/crowbar or other well-balanced metal bludgeon, could make quite an efficient weapon.

Shame that Maces aren't available. A nice Morningstar (spiked ball on a shaft, no chain), would be wonderful. Bust heads like Gallagher with watermelons.
    Last edited by Wyldwraith; 11-Dec-2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Edit.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    as for what i want, it's: (in order)

the whole "shane issue" to be resolved
    the gated community
    tyrese
    hershel's farm and family
    michonne
    discovery of the prison for the season finale

EDIT: and NO inclusion of mr. romero in any fashion with this show.
    I couldn't agree more!

As for Michonne and her "pet" zombies: I can totally see this working! Michonne shows up with two ghouls chained close to her, rubbing their nasty-ass funk all up on her shit. Both trying to attack and eat her but can't do squat because she's removed their lower jaws and arms. She's essentially taken all the piss outta their vinegar. It pretty much accomplishes exactly what Rick and Glenn did in “Guts” as her “pets” (and I’ve NEVER looked at them that way) are always in very close proximity to her, thus masking what little human smell remains on our samurai sword wielding, MPD friend.