Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Spiderman reboot is go...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    A la crapfest Superman Returns? No thanks. No Tobie, no dice. I don't mind a reboot now, just don't let me down.
    I enjoyed Superman Returns, actually. But that's really too big of a time frame between films to continue on. That was nearly a 30 year difference. Spiderman was last seen five years ago, so a transition to another team could work fine, imo. Like the Bond films. Just a new story with the same character. We don't need to start from the very beginning every time a director leaves. At least TRY to continue it on.

I think in reality Sony is just trying to find a way to extend the character because it's their only superhero cash cow. They can't buy anymore of Marvel's characters now....

As for McGuire.....i'm really glad he's gone. His acting has always kinda annoyed me. The only thing i've enjoyed him in was 'Brothers'.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Feb-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As for McGuire.....i'm really glad he's gone. His acting has always kinda annoyed me. The only thing i've enjoyed him in was 'Brothers'.
    I found him kind of hit and miss too, but the films were generally just so strong that I found it didn't really bother me overall!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    meh....as a life-long spidey-fan, i was still holding out hope that this might be better or look more appealing, but the more i see, the less i care.

not a fan of the casting (this is like the worst cast imaginable if you ask me), hate the costume. while i'm mildy excited that they are getting the ball rolling on the gwen stacy story (something they fucked up on the last set of films), i don't like the introduction of peter's parents as big part of his backstory/origin.

i will likely see this in theaters with my nephew who also a big fan of the web-slinger, but i am not really too excited about it.

Administrator

England
    Always preferred DC to marvel, come to think of it, apart from the old x-men cartoons i cant think of anything marvel have created that ive really followed.

Trailer looks ok, not exactly pant-stretching but looks a hell of alot better than the last 3 spiderman movies..

United States

Wasn't looking forward to this. Still not. Rami's wasn't 100% faithful to the source material, but pretty close (though they strayed more as they went along.)

Bass hit it on the head. Reboot=cash in. If they were sincere in continuing the series, cast new actors & move along a la Bond.

Administrator

England
    Oh come on, rami's movies where horrible!! Like i said im not a marvel fan and not overly familar with original spiderman stories but im sure it wasnt intended to be as cheesy, over the top and generally camp as those movies. i can totally see why it needed a reboot and the trailer there looks way better than any of the 3 previous movies.

Rami's movies must kinda be like the 1960's batman TV series of the marvel world..

Super Moderator

United States
    You've gotten into the scotch again, Andy!

The 1st and 2nd Spiderman movies were wonderful and a great representation of how to do a truly fantastic superhero film with the whole schmeer (crazy bright colored costumes, secret identity, weirdo villains, great origin, high adventure across a cityscape and superpowers).

Just sayin'.

-- -------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Rami's movies must kinda be like the 1960's batman TV series of the marvel world..
    What?! Dude, 1 & 2 were comic book movies that delivered a comicbook story and did so very well.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Captain America(1979) would probably be the B&R of Marvel films...

The 1990 version wasn't that much of an improvement. Even the new one left a bad taste in my mouth...
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Feb-2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Oh come on, rami's movies where horrible!! Like i said im not a marvel fan and not overly familar with original spiderman stories but im sure it wasnt intended to be as cheesy, over the top and generally camp as those movies.
    Cheesy? Over the top? Camp? Yeah the 3rd started in that direction, but in general? I don't see it. To each his own & all, but I think you & I saw different movies...

Captain America(1979) would probably be the B&R of Marvel films...

The 1990 version wasn't that much of an improvement. Even the new one left a bad taste in my mouth...
    Really? I was skeptical of the new one, being such a purist, but I actually like it pretty well. I thought they hit it as close as Iron Man in terms of capturing the essence of the character & such.

Administrator

England
    Dunno, maybe its becuase im not a marvel fan?

Raimi's spiderman films where really lame though..

This video about sums up alot of my feelings.

Super Moderator

UK
    I really dig the first two Spider-Man movies, and the third is a mish-mash ... I really only view it as part of the first two, rather than on its own.

As for Captain America - I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. Not quite Iron Man, but decidedly good fun - I think Joe Johnston & Co. did a spiffing job on the movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I liked all of Raimi's Spiderman films. I have a hard time seeing how anyone can pull it off better. Or at least better enough for it to warrant a reboot so close behind the end of the previous trilogy. I hope it'll bomb. But it won't.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Really? I was skeptical of the new one, being such a purist, but I actually like it pretty well. I thought they hit it as close as Iron Man in terms of capturing the essence of the character & such.
    To be fair, i've never thought the Iron Man films were as great as some people make them out to be. They were enjoyable summer action flicks, but nothing really remarkable. The same could be said for Thor. With the exception of Natalie Portman being out of place and the constant use of dutch angles, Thor was an enjoyable way to waste two hours.

Then when Captain America came around I was expecting more of the same. Just a simple way to stare at a screen for two hours. Then what I got seemed more like a toy advertisement. The strange cars, planes, and gadgets just seemed too....toyish. Then the bad green screen work also put me off. Luckily Captain appears to be doing more real stunts in The Avengers. Anyway, i'm not saying Captain was horrible but just a step down from the summer popcorn flicks Marvel had put out prior. Placing Captain in more of an area where I wouldn't want to see it again.

I still believe Marvel really needs to step up their game. Do something to rise above the "it's okay" factor and make something truly amazing. Then again, I've always been a DC fan. While DC hasn't put out many films and a few that were clunkers, they've still got the bar set high with Superman and Batman.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Feb-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    To be fair, i've never thought the Iron Man films were as great as some people make them out to be.
    I thought they were solid, fun-time superhero adventures and it was probably a good idea for them to take that route, as Tony Stark could easily just have been a bad riff on the Batman series, otherwise.

While DC hasn't put out many films and a few that were clunkers, they've still got the bar set high with Superman and Batman.
    I kind of disagree. While I do agree the 1st Superman film stands out due to its approach (both technological and thematic) and landmark treatment of a comicbook hero property & fantastical storytelling, which was so groundbreaking when it was filmed, I just think otherwise it's a great example of how to then run a good series into the ground. The new Superman was...okay, but pretty flat overall. Hardly a good example, to me anyway, of a superb superhero film.

Now the recent series of Batman films is probably one of the best pathos-filled action series to come out of Hollywood in a decade. That said, I don't see Batman as the epitome of a superhero movie. Maybe a comic book or pulp movie, but not precisely a superhero film. The character himself is very removed from superheroes in some respects due to his approach to crime fighting, his means and techniques and that is one of the reasons why it's easy to do a strait action flick with the character. He doesn't fly, shoot laser beams, throw cars, telekinetically topple buildings and his whole mythos is just grounded enough that they can artfully pull it off--admittedly with great vision, topnotch acting and direction.

So to me, it's just a different type of success. DC has nailed doing serious, down to earth, higher concept superhero films (which is SO odd, to me) and Marvel has bombarded the theaters with high action, superhero adventures and done very well in some cases. Marvel's volume is superior, but they need to be pickier about their projects from concept through to execution, which is where I agree with you in that they could stand to up their game.

Honestly, though, for Marvel to take on Captain America and deliver (for a lot of us viewers anyway) was ballsy and well done, in my opinion. Talk about a million ways to possibly go wrong with bringing a boy scout-style, super-patriot character to the screen. I think generally, Marvel films have been trending upward in quality, but they need to slow it all down and stop rushing them out like cashcows, or they risk quickly falling into the over-campyness of where the 1990s Batman series ended up with More Daredevils, Fantastic Fours and Hulks.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I thought they were solid, fun-time superhero adventures and it was probably a good idea for them to take that route, as Tony Stark could easily just have been a bad riff on the Batman series, otherwise.
    Fair enough. I'm not bad mouthing the Iron Man films. I think Favreau did a marvelous job with them and as you say, they're a solid fun time. I'm just puzzled when some people say they're the best superhero films on the market. I just personally don't see how one would think that because they're just kinda "there", if that makes any sense. They didn't leave me with any fond, long-lasting memories like Donner's Superman or Burtons/Nolan's Batman films. But hey - everyone is entitled to their opinion.

While on the subject of Iron Man films......I think they could really step up their game if they were to dive into the Demon in a Bottle storyline. They hinted at it in Iron Man 2, but I would love to see that idea really explored on screen. That could make a film with more weight. Whatever they do, I hope Shane Black makes a great third entry. He deserves the recognition.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Feb-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: .