Thread: I have shamed myself once again... This time, with "Death of a Ghost Hunter"

United States

I have shamed myself once again... This time, with "Death of a Ghost Hunter"

My wife is an avid "ghost" fan - she watches all the ghost hunting shows on TV and has gone on quite a few ghost hunting treks, so she asked if we could check out this flick called "Death of a Ghost Hunter" I had a baaaad feeling just based on the title and the artwork for the flick (I know, never just a book by it's cover - hey, I watched it, so i didn't judge it by it's cover, ok?! ) but I said fuck it, I've probably seen worse and we checked it out.

So the description of this turd goes like this:

"Renowned "ghost hunter", Carter Simms is paid to conduct a paranormal investigation of a supposedly haunted house. Along with a cameraman, a reporter, and a spiritual advocate, she embarks on a three night journey into terror."

"Terror" my ass, more like laughable.. This shit made Survival look worthy of an academy award.

By far one of the most boring POS flicks with a predictable ending that you could've guessed 15 minutes after the movie started. It was like watching an extremely poor version of Ghost Hunters, but with a host who was more of a wimp than.. well.. just think of the biggest wimp you can think of, then multiply that by 300 (SPARTAAAAAAAA!!!!!).

The acting - awful. There are no words - well, there's one. Awful. The sound design was beyond bad (massively loud in some spots, way too quiet to even hear anything in other spots), and set design? Don't get me started. I have no idea what the budget was for this flick, but I can assure you, it was not enough.

I could go on, but what's the point? It's bad. I mean really bad.

I have to stop subjecting myself to stuff like this, but y'know, after seeing Land/Diary/Survival, I thought my days of watching horrible movies couldn't get any worse. <ahem> WRONG.

Lou's rating: 2 pitchforks out of 10. Avoid at all costs, peoples.

United States
    Another nice entry in an ongoing series of "Shame".

We've all been down the "my wife picked this movie..." road *shudder*.

It's always interesting to me in the world of internet-hyperbole-land how some movies get savaged as "the worst POS EVAH!" until one sees a movie that REALLY IS THAT BAD. Then it puts that(those) other movie(s) in perspective.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    What misguided steps have you taken throughout your life to feel that this sort of punishment is necessary?

United States
    That's a really good question. Problem is, I don't know how to answer it.

This is one of the little compromises I have to deal with being married. If I make her sit through yet another zombie flick, unfortunately I have to relent once in a while and get subjected to shit like this.

I can only imagine what the next entry in the "shame diaries" will be, but lord help me if it gets any worse. I think I'll go re-watch Sharktopus.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    It's always interesting to me in the world of internet-hyperbole-land how some movies get savaged as "the worst POS EVAH!" until one sees a movie that REALLY IS THAT BAD. Then it puts that(those) other movie(s) in perspective.
    You're not kidding, man. I mean, I'm all for low budget films and looking past some rough edges, but wow man.. just wow.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 16-Dec-2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Sharktopus

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    What misguided steps have you taken throughout your life to feel that this sort of punishment is necessary?
    Bad movie karma? Slag on or refuse to watch a really GOOD movie & you get subjected to a really BAD one in return?

United States
    Hey, at least my wife wanted to watch this and didn't say "Y'know, I heard Uwe Boll just put out a new flick, let's watch that!"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I just shamed myself... I watched FULCI's zombie hoping to find something redeeming about it.... NOPE not a fucking thing. Finally tossed the DVD in the "NEED TO TRADE PILE"
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I actually quite enjoyed the movie. To each his own I guess.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I actually quite enjoyed the movie. To each his own I guess.
    Well, y'know, I think there was an excellent idea hidden in that film, I just think the execution was what did it in. I think it could've been a damn good story and flick, I just don't think they managed to capture it on film as well as could have been, know what I mean?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Dec-2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling