Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of forums do we want this to be?

Norway

What kind of forums do we want this to be?

I seen this before, good forums with lots of cool discussions get bogged down with "social butterflies" using every chance to snipe at anyone or anything they don't like. Drowning out any interesting points in lame jokes or just endless repeats.
    Using the very good news that the walking dead is nominated for an award to take a pot shot at Georg Romero. Wtf? Don't you think that Romero like the walking dead and wish them all the best?
    Also intervening in threads with jokes about things said in other threads to make thing said there look silly, instead of... You know having an actual argument for why its silly and post it in the original thread.
    Its like the people in question just act like jerks so they don't have to do any actual debating.
    Its cheap social tactics to "dominate" the opinions on the board.
    I have been gone for a while so when I got back it was very noticeable.
    I am not mentioning names but lets all make an effort to be on topic, supportive of the walking dead, and factual.
    And let me just save you the trouble of saying:"if you dont like it you can just leave" I'm not going to leave .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Discussing the same zombie-related material over and over again becomes very repetitive when there are very few new things to add. Jokes break the monotony. Every other site is the same.

Wrong forum, btw....
    Last edited by bassman; 17-Dec-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Its like the people in question just act like jerks so they don't have to do any actual debating.
    Oh, you've met DubiousComforts have you?

Every board is going to have their good Granny Smith apples and their yucky apples. I think we're fortunate here in having far more good apples than yucky apples. And the yucky apples can sometimes prove to get a conversation going actually and bring some unique opinions around here to keep things going.

Overall, I only post on this forum and one other forum (a forum about generations/generational differneces) actually. I haven't found any other forum on the internet that has such a tight community with some overall wonderful people as I have here at HPotD. I really mean that.

And it's a frakkin' message board! Stop taking stuff so seriously... we're all here for the same reasons I would hope, to hopefully have some fun to take us away from the mundane regular day-to-day existence we live by talking about things we have mutual interests in as the awesome people we are -- great horror films, interesting articles, interesting things in life. And oh yeah, zombies.

Anyway, for the most part, I think most of the folks here at HPotD are just super people. Trencher, me thinks you need some Christmas cheer -- so here is a Merry Christmas from me and Michael Ironside:

EDIT: This is post # 1,000 for me! Hooray! Ironic that my 1,000th post would be about the awesomeness of this board, eh? Here's my lifting my breakfast barbecue pork rinds to another 1,000 posts! I only have 4,000 more until I get a special logo and all that jazz, I figure I can make it in the next decade if I'm lucky!

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 17-Dec-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: yes
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    And it's a frakkin' message board! Stop taking stuff so seriously... we're all here for the same reasons I would hope, to hopefully have some fun to take us away from the mundane regular day-to-day existence we live by talking about things we have mutual interests in as the awesome people we are -- great horror films, interesting articles, interesting things in life. And oh yeah, zombies.
    This man speaks the truth....

Trencher, me thinks you need some Christmas cheer -- so here is a Merry Christmas from me and Michael Ironside:
    That's you and Ironside? I had no idea you were such a cute little girl, JD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Oh, you've met DubiousComforts have you?

j.p.
    JDFP,
    I'm not meaning to start an argument, so please don't take it that way. Dubious Comforts is by far one of the most intelligent posters on this board and in my opinion we need more smart posters like him.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    JDFP,
    I'm not meaning to start an argument, so please don't take it that way. Dubious Comforts is by far one of the most intelligent posters on this board and in my opinion we need more smart posters like him.
    I agree with you, Lee, I get a huge kick out of him. I think he makes things far more entertaining around here as well in addition to being highly intelligent. But, the three of us (you, me, Dubs, along with Gary and a few other folks here) can certainly be taken somewhat out of context sometimes and others can take us to be somewhat of an ass (even though that's not our intention). That's all I'm pointing out. Of course, it's hard to be as awesome as we are all the time so naturally others would feel some extreme jealousy regarding that.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    I want them to be the forums they are right now, and frankly things ebb and flow over time. I have been around through several version of forum software and seen many "regular faces" come and go... and you know what? The forums are always strong .There are lulls in the "action" we lose things to talk about, cover the same ground a bit too often perhaps... but that is the way of it. I like the forums just fine and if it gets too personal or too much of a flame fest people step up and put them out.

Life moves on, the forums stay basically the same. I am just glad we have them.
    Last edited by Thorn; 17-Dec-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling error.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    JDFP,
    I will say Dubs has some great information, but his approach leaves a lot to be desired. So to avoid dealing with him... I ignore him. great feature on forums
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    i want this to be a forum filled with bacon, that's what she said jokes, and bitching about shitty zombie properties while praising the good ones.

England
    There are far worse places than this my friends!

I find that most people here are pretty okay, the measure of decent folks/forums for me is if I can have a bit of a ruck with somebody about one subject, but have a laugh with them on another...basically, people who don't take this stuff (and themselves) too seriously.

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i want this to be a forum filled with bacon, that's what she said jokes, and bitching about shitty zombie properties while praising the good ones.
    I'd like a TWSS wrist band...I mean it's so fucking juvenile and outright silly, it just works!
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    Love that quote fro Andy in your sig Professor... and I agree that is what needs to be done.

I understand what the OP is looking for, but dude you won't find that anywhere on the interwebz... Basically forums are a place to be a complete and total ass if you want to be as well as an articulated observer who has something meaningful and worthy to contribute. That is Life... that is the Internet.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I find that most people here are pretty okay
    Thank you Legion, and let me assure you we find you a passably decent sort, as well

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I find that most people here are pretty okay, the measure of decent folks/forums for me is if I can have a bit of a ruck with somebody about one subject, but have a laugh with them on another...basically, people who don't take this stuff (and themselves) too seriously.
    Alot of people say i used to be a bastard and take the forum role far too seriously when i first started..

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I understand what the OP is looking for, but dude you won't find that anywhere on the interwebz... Basically forums are a place to be a complete and total ass if you want to be as well as an articulated observer who has something meaningful and worthy to contribute. That is Life... that is the Internet.
    ..Dj hit the nail on the head there, neil brought me on board to flush all the assholes off the forums, and now their gone i like to think i have relaxed and eased off alot.

Glad you guys like the place though, its good to see. It is afterall why we do this, a forums would be nothing without its members

United States
    I think there needs to be more grabass.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rongravy View Post
    I think there needs to be more grabass.
    And titties. No forum is complete without titties.