Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tron: Legacy

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw Tron Legacy in 3D, and quite frankly the 3D wasn't much cop - the look of the film itself was so strong that it totally overpowered any 3D, and the 3D wasn't handled in a particularly noticeable fashion - so what was the point in shooting it in 3D, you know? I didn't really feel all that 3D to me - but the visuals of the film (i.e. what you'll see in 2D) were tip top though, so if anything, see it on Imax.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    TL DR on my original reply - only to say

Sounds like they missed a trick with the 3D - all I can say is when it's done right (avatar) it's so engrossing, I can't even begin to use proper words without sounding fanboyish
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 23-Jan-2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: werfwqerd
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    So I saw this movie in 3D too, recently, and I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with Minion. It was an absolutely stunning film, but I don't think the 3D was at all necessary... Then again, I just don't like 3D in general, so there you go... I'd like to get the original but it's hard to find... For me, the best 3D (and I've said this before) will always be Captain Eo. RIP, MJ.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    good, it needed another to wrap a lot of stuff up.

United States
    I enjoyed Tron Legacy. Tron was one of my favorite movies back in the day and I loved how they tied into the original Tron. It had plot fubar, yes, but overall I was okay.

I loved the setup. How they extended from the original. It was a very natural progression for Flynn... believable yet fantastic, and taking the whole concept started in Tron way over the top. Totally cool to see how he took his original adventure and built it into something phenomenal. I loved the flashbacks.

I also loved the basic plot conflict. The idea that the program rebelled when it's programming conflicted with the direction it saw the virtual world going. And the special effects to make CLU look like the original Flynn were fabulous.

I thought the movie got a bit fruity with the isos. I never quite got their significance.

The ending was way too foreshadowed. We all knew Flynn wasn't getting out. The only thing I didn't see coming was the entire grid blinking out when Flynn and CLU merged. And that bit left me feeling very cheated. Obviously Flynn must have survived if they're talking sequel, but I got irritated that it appeared he died and Sam was just cool with it in the outside world. But whatever.

I also didn't understand the idea of CLU taking an army into the real world. Technologically it doesn't make sense with the whole interface to the world requiring the identity disc and shoving it into the light stream, etc.

Tron (the character) did get the short end of the stick. They'd better do him right in the sequel.

And speaking of sequel... I'm glad to hear there's something on the slate. I hope they do a good job of picking it up. Mainly I hope it's well thought out. (see Matrix for counter-example).
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Bad Ass Movie!

Disney hit another gold mine and will probably have a hard time letting go like the Pirate movies...I can see them squeezing a 3rd movie out of it but they should probably leave it alone after that for 10 years or so. As for the pirate series, I really can't believe their making a 4th. They should have let that one go after the 3rd.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    They should have let that one go before the 3rd.
    Fixed.
    But yeah, Tron 2 (the REAL title) was quite good, quite good.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Fixed.
    LOL Nice!

Administrator

England
    Watched this on Bluray last night.

I have to say the visuals and music are just beautiful; It's a real work of art in some places!

The story is a little up and down, but it is a bloody good sequel IMHO, and I do hope that make a 3rd (if the quality story is there)!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Watched this on Bluray last night.

I have to say the visuals and music are just beautiful; It's a real work of art in some places!

The story is a little up and down, but it is a bloody good sequel IMHO, and I do hope that make a 3rd (if the quality story is there)!
    Glad you're into it and I'm with you on a 3rd entry - I really enjoy the film, and as you say it's a superb audio/visual experience.

I've no idea why it gets slagged off so often - methinks it's part of that "it's cool to hate it" vibe that some douchebags on podcasts or the internet in general fall into ... it's as if the original has no problems or a ropey script at times (which it does) ... if anything I prefer the sequel to the original personally.