Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Lou's "Shame" files: Let The Right One In

United States

From Lou's "Shame" files: Let The Right One In

Ok, so my wife bought me a shit-ton of Blu-Ray's for xmas, and one of them was the original Let The Right One In. I watched it last night. I had heard some great things about the flick, but after watching it, I'm not sure what to think about it.

The first thing I noticed is while it had great atmosphere, it seemed to hold on most shots in the film way too long. There could've been 15 minutes shaved off this film had they just cut and moved on once a scene was over - instead, they would just hang on a scene for way too long after it was done. Not sure of the purpose, but whatever. To me, the pacing was just way too slow. The flick clocked in at an hour and fifty minutes, so it's a pretty lengthy haul considering the pacing.

I think the cinematography for this flick was fantastic (although there is something to be said about the lack of motivation for much of the lighting in the outside scenes, especially in the woods, but that's just being nitpicky, so lets move on), and the 'tone' it carried was indeed very creepy.

Those who haven't seen it, I'm not going to spoil it, but the general plot is about a boy (who is apparently very timid and doesn't like to stand up to the school bullies) who becomes friends with a little girl who moves in next door - who just happens to be a vampire.

One thing I will say is that this was a very refreshing look at vampires after the garbage that has been coming out lately (Twilight anyone?) - this is how I could see a "kind-of" love story develop between two individuals, one vampire and one human. It seems more gritty and real of a relationship between the two than has been presented in past vampire-and-human-love-story kinda flicks.

The ending (no worries, no spoilers!) can be taken one of a couple different ways. It could be a 'happy' or a 'sad' ending - depending on how you interpret what you see. That's all I'll say about that as to avoid spoilers.

The actors (the kids) were actually really decent. I watched the flick with the english dubbed dialouge because I didn't feel like reading subtitles for 2 hours, but it was still effective, even though it wasn't in it's native sweedish language.

All in all, I think it was a pretty decent flick, but it doesn't seem to have much of a 're-watchable' quality for me. It was good, but it's not like I'll sit down and repeatedly watch this over and over again. It's pacing was just too slow. Great tone and atmosphere, but the pacing needs some serious work. Not sure if that's because it was a sweedish flick and we americans are used to the "get to the fucking point already!" kind of movies, but it just seemed meandering. Other than that, it's worth a watch, at least once, especially if you're sick of the current trend of vampire flicks and shows.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You've just brought down a world of hatin' on yourself.

I agree though. I saw it once and don't care to ever see it again. Overhyped mediocrity.

United States
    Now I want to see it!!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    You've just brought down a world of hatin' on yourself.

I agree though. I saw it once and don't care to ever see it again. Overhyped mediocrity.
    Why? Are people hell-bent that this is the definitive vampire flick or something? I sure as hell hope not!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Why? Are people hell-bent that this is the definitive vampire flick or something? I sure as hell hope not!
    I dunno. I just remember once before saying I didn't think it was all that great and they jumped on me like I had raped their mothers.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I dunno. I just remember once before saying I didn't think it was all that great and they jumped on me like I had raped their mothers.
    Well, I'll be happy to rape anyone's mom if need be..

I mean, I liked the movie, I just think the pacing was for shit. For example: there was a scene where outside, in the snow, the main character was being bullied by some of the local school kids. After they mess with him, they take off - he's left standing there, and the camera just sits there on him for like 20 more seconds. That happens all over the place in this flick - and it was completely unnecessary and screwed the pacing of the film IMO.

*shugs shoulders*

Perhaps I should've posted this in the 'unpopular opinions' thread.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Dec-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: fuck reasons, I don't need no stinkin' reasons

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Well I liked it! Cat scene.... mmm... anyway, I thought the gore effects were also well-done (what about them, eh, Lou? huh?). I thought it was a good film. Yes, the pacing was a liiiiittle bit slow for me, but still engaging. I'd watch it again... slam me if you will, but I like this film.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Well I liked it! Cat scene.... mmm... anyway, I thought the gore effects were also well-done (what about them, eh, Lou? huh?). I thought it was a good film. Yes, the pacing was a liiiiittle bit slow for me, but still engaging. I'd watch it again... slam me if you will, but I like this film.
    Shit, I skipped right over the effects, didn't I? Well, they were pretty good - there was some great ones, especially near the end of the flick ("can you open the blinds for me, doc?" the cat, and of course the pool stuff).

Like I said, I enjoyed the film, I just think the pacing needed to be sped up quite a bit. Perhaps that's a "sweedish" thing, but either way, the pacing needed a push as it's what would keep me from watching again (unless I use some judicious amounts of fast-forwarding). Other than that, I did enjoy it (and would never slam ya, blind, for wanting to see it again). It was certainly a different take on the "vampire/human love" angle, that's for sure.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Dec-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: BACON!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Lou, for fucks sake...

There's one E in Swedish.

As for the film...

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Vampire films, period. But this one was better than most, considering it wasn't a "genre" vampire flick. Very different.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Rawr.... and Ned's cat claws come out (Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss)

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Lou, for fucks sake...

There's one E in Swedish.
    Ned -

For fucks sake, excuse the fuck out of me for not living there and not knowing (or giving a royal shit).

Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Dec-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: WTF ever

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw it recently, after it sitting on my Sky+ box for a good six months, and I rather dug it. I won't be rushing back to it anytime soon, but then again vampires aren't so much my thing - however I thought it was really quite good, and well, it's from an entirely different country so there's not only an entirely different visual aesthetic, storytelling style, but also an entirely different editing style.

Be-all and end-all? No, but then again what is? I found the film quite hypnotic at some points too. Really dug it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Be-all and end-all? No, but then again what is? I found the film quite hypnotic at some points too. Really dug it.
    Same here. There were some truly weird, mezmerizing parts of the film that were really, really creepy.

Now I'm curious to see what "Let Me In" is like. I'm guessing the pacing is sped up quite a bit for us short-attention-span Americans. Has anyone seen it?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I saw it recently, after it sitting on my Sky+ box for a good six months, and I rather dug it. I won't be rushing back to it anytime soon, but then again vampires aren't so much my thing - however I thought it was really quite good, and well, it's from an entirely different country so there's not only an entirely different visual aesthetic, storytelling style, but also an entirely different editing style.
    I heard it's from some country called Sweeden. Never heard of it, and I can't find it on any map.