Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith's upcoming film: RED STATE

United States
    *trying to ignore the stupidity*

Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    That trailer? Wow. Kevin Smith? Who would have thought?
    Looks like a horror film to me. Might not be a very good one but goddamn what a nice trailer.
    I thought the same thing when I first saw it. When I heard him first talk about Red State a few years ago, I was intrigued. Now that I've seen the trailer, I'm all in for this flick.

...and is Michael Parks a creepy sounding mofo in this trailer or what? *shivers*

Ok, I guess I'm in the minority with the 'horror' aspect of the trailer, but, today I was looking up other trailers: Land, Dawn04, My Bloody Valentine, some of the Saw trailers, even Let The Right One In - all of them seemed to be more 'horror' looking and oriented than this particular trailer, but like I said, after viewing the flick I might have a completely different opinion. Also, it's a 'teaser' trailer, so perhaps once we get a full-on trailer, it might look different to me.

I love being the odd man out.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Dec-2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: ignoring stupidity

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    ...and is Michael Parks a creepy sounding mofo in this trailer or what? *shivers*
    He was, but I think he was more creepy as the hispanic guy in Kill Bill. Something about that role gave me the creeps.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    *trying to ignore the stupidity*

Undisclosed
    @ Lou

Well, you could be right. It remains to be seen if Red State will be a full blown Horror flick. I got a very nice 70s vibe from that trailer. You know; Hills have eyes, Texas Chainsaw, kinda thing.
    Very different from what we're used to from Smith. Definitely have the film on my radar.

I'm with you on the Michael Parks thing. Brrrrr.

(isn't it obvious that this genre of films uses lotsa stereotypical characters/baddies and that there is really no political or ethical agenda here. Just a filmmaker using said sterotypes to maximise effect... I can't for the life of me imagine any fan of Romero's (original) dead films that ends up on these shores is anything BUT a racist. That's just me though)

Super Moderator

UK
    Smith has often said about Red State that one of his key inspirations was "The Devil Rides Out", if memory serves on the title. And as he was saying in the most recently Red State of the Union podcast, a big inspiration was all the mania in America when he was a kid about "devil worship" and so on ... ... which makes me think, I wonder if he's checked out "The House of the Devil" - for many it's a flick that would have a seriously too-slow pace, and sure the final act doesn't impress as much as you hope it will after such a protracted wait, but even still I really dug it.

Anyway ... it is indeed a teaser, but I get a horror vibe from it ... and there's that one shot that dollies in towards a wall with some haggard bush on it, that intrigues me ... perhaps it's not intended, but I feel like it's about to reveal something behind and below the wall, but it cuts away before we see anything ... so that feels properly creepy.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    He was, but I think he was more creepy as the hispanic guy in Kill Bill. Something about that role gave me the creeps.
    Y'know, I was telling Dj that the other night. That was the first time I really noticed Parks - when he was the creepy dude in Kill Bill. I knew of him, but never really "paid attention" to him if that makes sense. Now I'm all about the Parks.

@ Lou

Well, you could be right. It remains to be seen if Red State will be a full blown Horror flick. I got a very nice 70s vibe from that trailer. You know; Hills have eyes, Texas Chainsaw, kinda thing.
    Very different from what we're used to from Smith. Definitely have the film on my radar.

I'm with you on the Michael Parks thing. Brrrrr.
    I think Parks was the PERFECT person for this flick. He's going to make an awesome, creepy preacher that is just going to weird everyone out. His voice over on that teaser was enough to give me chills. *shivers again*

Smith said on one of his podcasts, Parks takes an almost 18 minute dialouge in this flick. That must be one HELL of a performance he caught to put in a dialouge that lengthy in this flick.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Anyway ... it is indeed a teaser, but I get a horror vibe from it ... and there's that one shot that dollies in towards a wall with some haggard bush on it, that intrigues me ... perhaps it's not intended, but I feel like it's about to reveal something behind and below the wall, but it cuts away before we see anything ... so that feels properly creepy.
    We shall certainly see. The hardest part about trying to figure out if it's horror or not is the fact that Kev really hasn't let on too much to what the plot of the flick is. Sure, we know some kids go "looking for sex in the woods and instead 'find God'" - welll, that could me a LOT of things.. We shall see.... *fingers crossed this flick kicks ass*

Super Moderator

UK
    'Kids looking for sex in the woods and instead find God' sounds like a puritanical remake of Porky's.

I'm sure we'll find out many more plot details about RS once it's been shown at Sundance in January.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Smith has often said about Red State that one of his key inspirations was "The Devil Rides Out", if memory serves on the title. And as he was saying in the most recently Red State of the Union podcast, a big inspiration was all the mania in America when he was a kid about "devil worship" and so on ... ... which makes me think, I wonder if he's checked out "The House of the Devil" - for many it's a flick that would have a seriously too-slow pace, and sure the final act doesn't impress as much as you hope it will after such a protracted wait, but even still I really dug it.
    Wow. The Devil Rides Out must be my all time favourite Hammer Horror film. Christopher Lee is a fantastic 'good' guy in that one. Love it!
    Haven't seen House of the devil. Is it anything like Devil rides out? Might have to check it soon methinks ...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Can't believe Lou never paid attention to Michael Parks

From Dusk Til Dawn (Played Earl, Texas Ranger)
    Planet Terror (Played Earl, Texas Ranger)
    Death proof (Played Earl, Texas Ranger)
    Kill Bill 1 & 2 (Played Earl and Creepy Spanish Guy)
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Wow. The Devil Rides Out must be my all time favourite Hammer Horror film. Christopher Lee is a fantastic 'good' guy in that one. Love it!
    Haven't seen House of the devil. Is it anything like Devil rides out? Might have to check it soon methinks ...
    I've never seen The Devil Rides Out, so I can't help you out with a comparison, hehe ... but between us we've seen the both of them! Have a gander on YouTube for a trailer. You should be able to find it on DVD quite cheap by now. I got it for a fiver earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post

Aye it was QT & RR's flicks that alerted me to Parks - who I recently saw in Twin Peaks (which I recently got around to seeing for the first time, in the last several weeks) - it's always cool when you see someone you know well from something in a role they did much earlier. Although FDTD was only about 5 years after he was on Twin Peaks, so...

Earl MacGraw is awesome ... "well Son number one..."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post

What can I say? I've seen him in all those flicks, but it wasn't until Kill Bill and the creepy spanish guy - that's when the caliber of this dude's acting smacked me in the face. Then when he was announced as the lead in Red State.. lets just say I think Smith couldn't have casted that part any better.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 30-Dec-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: bacon

United States
    Well, Red State as officially premiered @ Sundance as of yesterday. Apparently Smith has decided on self-distribution (we'll see how that goes, but there's no doubt he'll make back the $4 million production cost).

Also, I wanted to point out this little quote from www.hollywoodreporter.com:

"But RED STATE plays less as a straightforward horror film than as an extremely intense thriller that verges on horror."

See? THRILLER! Not Horror! Just like I said.. Hell, even Jack agrees with me, right Jack?

Anyway, he's going to tour the film around the US before it's officially theatrical release on Oct. 17th. Here's a link with some info (and also a link to request Red State come to your home town): RED STATE US TOUR

No showings in my state yet, but that'll change if I have to vote for it 100 times to come here.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: bacon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ticket prices raised as much as six, seven, or ten times the normal rate? Yeah....I'm not going to pay 100 bucks for this. DVD it is, then.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Ticket prices raised as much as six, seven, or ten times the normal rate? Yeah....I'm not going to pay 100 bucks for this. DVD it is, then.
    Whoa, where did you hear that? There's no ticket price info yet....? Not only that, but it's being released in theaters in October, so even if you don't want to see an advanced screening, I doubt tickets to the October release are 6, 7, 10 times the normal price... wtf dude?

Red State Statement
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 24-Jan-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: bacon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    From Ifilm....

The Red State USA Tour sounds like a fun time, but it’ll cost a pretty penny. According to Smith, you are probably going to pay “probably 6, 7, maybe 10 times” what you normally pay to see a film at a multiplex. Smith also promises that “we’re going to give you some cool shit,” although it’s not clear if this is separate from the Q&A with Parks and Smith himself (my guess is no).
    And seeing how he's distributing himself in October, It's most likely not going to be very wide. It's just not worth the trouble. Waiting for dvd.

I think he should've let someone else buy it at Sundance...