Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith's upcoming film: RED STATE

United States

Kevin Smith's upcoming film: RED STATE

It's being billed by him as a 'horror' movie, so I posted it in the horror section. Personally, if you ask me, it looks more like a suspense/thriller based on the teaser, but I digress.

Have you guys seen the teaser trailer? If so, what do you think?

For the lazy:

I'm excited to see this for a few reasons.. first off, Michael Parks. Love that dude, and think he's a fantastic actor. Second, this looks SO unlike any of Smith's other films - I didn't think he had something like this in him! Third, I'm very interested to see how he stretched a 4 million budget out on this filck.

It looks very interesting. This 'teaser' doesn't tell us much, but it certainly makes me want to see more. Parks looks and sounds like a CREEPY motherfucker in this trailer.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm excited for this. It's nice to finally see Smith branching out into other areas. I've always thought he had it in him, he's just been pigeon holed into the Jay and Bob/stoner thing like Romero's been stuck with the dead thing.

And as you'd mentioned - Michael motherfuckin' Parks! I was so excited when I heard he was cast as the Phelps-like character in this flick. It just seems like perfect casting. It's also always nice to see John Goodman doing his thing.

So yeah....bring on Red State. I'll definitely check it out.
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Dec-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Yeah, I was kinda surprised when Smith mentioned he nabbed John Goodman to be in the flick. Even more of a reason to go see it - but for me, Parks is the main reason I want to see this flick. That and the fact that Smith has gone and done something so outside of the norm for himself. While I like all his previous films (save for one or two that will remain nameless to avoid conflict.. ).

I noticed a quick flash of Ralph Garman in that teaser too. When I see him, all I can think about is him being the radio Dj in Sharktopus. *shudders*

Not sure if you listen to any of his podcasts, bassman, but I've "heard" other clips from Red State on his "Red State of the Union" podcast, and while this looks like a complete departure from his previous films, I will say there's some extremely familiar dialogue in the film (ie: a bunch of sex talk, at least in one scene). I hope it doesn't take away from the film, but I guess that remains to be seen.

The cinematography has that very gritty 70's movie feel to it.

"You better believe I fear God."
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Dec-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Fear of God.. :p

Super Moderator

UK
    Suspense/thriller? No way, that looks like a horror movie to me.

Saw this a few days ago, but was too lazy to post about it, so thanks to Lou for doing the leg work.

As for 'traditional Smith dialogue' - I think that's really only in the first act, as he was saying it starts out with familiar Smith touches and sounds, but then it takes a big old turn in a different direction. So it's good to see Smith doing something different too, as all of his flicks have been comedies - so I'm really looking forward to seeing Red State, to see what this dude can bring to the horror genre - it's definitely got my interest piqued.

I've never seen Sharktopus, so Ralph Garman - to me - is the Hollywood Babble-On podcast, Pacino impression and all - "it's out of control, OOH-AHH!" Speaking of which, HB-O 3 hour New Year's special this week, ho yeah!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Suspense/thriller? No way, that looks like a horror movie to me.
    Do tell, MZ - how do you get 'horror' from that teaser? I mean, I see people with guns, I see people scared, but I also see those same things in thrillers. However.... when I see a teaser/trailer for horror films, they look quite a bit different.

I mean, I could very well be wrong, but that teaser doesn't scream "horror" - it screams suspense/thriller to me. Of course, I've been wrong once or twice in my life..
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 28-Dec-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Reason? I don't need no stinkin' reason..

Super Moderator

UK
    A bunch of lunatics capturing sex crazed teens who are caged, running, screaming, bloody, etc ... looks like a horror film to me.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Do tell, MZ - how do you get 'horror' from that teaser? I mean, I see people with guns, I see people scared,
    maybe you gotta be from outside of america to get that but folks with guns in a dusty american town? thats a trailer for a horror movie more often than not. Which is kind of interesting to see, will it roll in theaters before other flicks and in america the audience gut reaction will be "well they have firearms, there must be a tense situation occurring- is this a drama?" but in other places your gonna get "oh fuck, they got guns, who are they out to kill?". Smith's filmmaking sensibilities fall much more into the canadian mentality of writing and directing than american so hes ,ind of an odd bird to be doing something like this so its probably gonna be either something unique and lauded or something seen as kevs' next lukewarm crapfest.
    though honestly its a smith flick with jon goodman in a major role. thats a recipe for something potentially quite special.
    Makes me think the trailer is gonna have to be recut though. Or its gonna have a lot of folks expecting a very different flm and spreading some bad word of mouth for it y'know?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    maybe you gotta be from outside of america to get that but folks with guns in a dusty american town? thats a trailer for a horror movie more often than not.
    Well, perhaps if you're not from the US that is an alarming concept, but when you're from here and you know just about every white-trash trailer-living family has guns (and lots of them) it doesn't seem that unusual or 'horrific'

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    A bunch of lunatics capturing sex crazed teens who are caged, running, screaming, bloody, etc ... looks like a horror film to me.
    That's like par for the course in the southern US, so again, I don't see it as "horror" - I see it as "typical" I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south.

...and the "bunch of lunatics capturing sex crazed teens who are caged, running, screaming, etc" - you don't get that from the teaser. You got that info from Smith on his podcasts. The trailer doesn't push the "sex-crazed teens" anywhere in it. Sure, there's a dude in a cage, and there's some people running & screaming, but they do that in thrillers too. Look at "Angels & Demons" - there were bishops & priests in cages/jails, but would you ever consider that horror? There were also people running & screaming in that flick, too.

I'm just sayin'... perhaps once I see the movie I'll be convinced, but I'm having a hard time matching "horror" with "Kevin Smith" and this particular teaser trailer.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Dec-2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: BACON!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south.
    Kansas is considered the south?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Kansas is considered the south?
    Might as well be, considering...
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Dec-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: :p

United States
    Well, perhaps if you're not from the US that is an alarming concept, but when you're from here and you know just about every white-trash trailer-living family has guns (and lots of them) it doesn't seem that unusual or 'horrific'

That's like par for the course in the southern US, so again, I don't see it as "horror" - I see it as "typical" I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south.
    Both of these comments are idiotic. It's amazing how snobbish and ignorant people can be sometimes. It seems the only people left - in the United States at least - that are safe to insult and trash are people from the South.

United States

Get over your self-righeous self, Leo. It's amazing you call people "ignorant" and "snobbish" considering it's a trait you show in just about every post you make.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 29-Dec-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: bacon

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleo View Post
    It seems the only people left - in the United States at least - that are safe to insult and trash are people from the South.
    Pretty much.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Why did everyone miss that Lou was making a joke? Hell, I actually live in the Southern portion of the US and I didn't find it offensive....

United States

Get over your self-righeous self, Leo. It's amazing you call people "ignorant" and "snobbish" considering it's a trait you show in just about every post you make.
    That was a great response. Why didn't you just say "I know you are, but what am I"?

Since you're on a roll, why don't you tell us your stereotypical thoughts on blacks, hispanics, and homosexuals too? Do you have any of those?

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Why did everyone miss that Lou was making a joke? Hell, I actually live in the Southern portion of the US and I didn't find it offensive....
    I didn't think for a second you would be offended, bassman.