Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Agree 100%
    I dig this new guy.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    eh, i'm at the point now were i don't give a fuck. When people will add shitty 3d in post production so they can double the price of the ticket it no longer gets me pissed to see good films getting remade. because honestly its still better than another shitty unneeded sequel just for the cash anyway. at least i think so.

England
    The Black Hole is an excellent movie...it's the day Disney went dark! Hell, how many other Disney/kids movies do you hear a character shouting "there may be an Einstein-Rosen Bridge to consider"

Oh, and the Cygnus was insanely cool.

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    "Straw Dogs" -- Sam Peckinpah was highly overrated in my book and the original is just... well.. kinda boring.
    In this era of cinematic overkill, "boring" can be (and has been) said of just about any of the early 70s films like The French Connection, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange or even Night of the Living Dead. The Exorcist has also been labeled as "boring."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    In this era of cinematic overkill, "boring" can be (and has been) said of just about any of the early 70s films like The French Connection, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange or even Night of the Living Dead. The Exorcist has also been labeled as "boring."
    And don't get me started on what people say about Citizen Kane!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    try to get someone raised on modern films to watch the conversation, they cant do it. if i hadnt studied film at college and uni i probably wouldnt either honestly.

Undisclosed
    Forget The Conversation -- just try to get anyone raised on The Sopranos to sit through all three hours of The Godfather. (And that's only part one.)

Everyone doesn't have to enjoy 70s cinema, but a better opinion needs to be offered than "it's boring," which has long since become cliché.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Forget The Conversation -- just try to get anyone raised on The Sopranos to sit through all three hours of The Godfather. (And that's only part one.)

Everyone doesn't have to enjoy 70s cinema, but a better opinion needs to be offered than "it's boring," which has long since become cliché.
    okay, i watched the godfather a few times, fell asleep every time till i finally sat through it last month and i found it ,not boring, but somewhere between dull and indifferent. The pacing just seemed off. every performance was good, the writing and music were both excellent, theres just something about the pacing of the first godfather film that makes a basic mafioso sotry seem much much longer than it should have been to say what it did in the time it took.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Speaking of remakes and gangster films.....am I the only one surprised there hasn't yet been another remake of Scarface? With the way it's worshipped by the MTV crowd, you would think it was in the works years ago.

As for Godfather, I've never found it slow or boring. I suppose I could see why some would think so, but maybe Part 2 would be at a faster pace for them?
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jan-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Speaking of remakes and gangster films.....am I the only one surprised there hasn't yet been another remake of Scarface? With the way it's worshipped by the MTV crowd, you would think it was in the works years ago.

As for Godfather, I've never found it slow or boring. I suppose I could see why some would think so, but maybe Part 2 would be at a faster pace for them?
    i never got that "yo yo boyeeeee, i be all lyke scarfizzle up in dis beeyotch!". what is it american folks in the mtv generation find so... praiseworthy about scarface? like not even the movie itself, but some impression that you should know its epic even if you havent seen it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i never got that "yo yo boyeeeee, i be all lyke scarfizzle up in dis beeyotch!". what is it american folks in the mtv generation find so... praiseworthy about scarface? like not even the movie itself, but some impression that you should know its epic even if you havent seen it.
    I don't know. I think it's a good film and all, but if I had to guess....those MTV types think it's great because it's a minority rising to power. I guess then they fall asleep before the ending where all his loved ones die and he goes out in a coke-fueled rage.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't know. I think it's a good film and all, but if I had to guess....those MTV types think it's great because it's a minority rising to power. I guess then they fall asleep before the ending where all his loved ones die and he goes out in a coke-fueled rage.
    He drinks a lot of Coca-cola?
    "No, you moron... Cocaine, like. 'Cos he's a gangster, see?" - Murdoc
    Ohhh.... Sorry, haven't seen it...
    "Please do not. There is nothing worthwhile in this movie, except to show once more the folly of Man and Evil of Crime." - Noodle

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Well, it's probably overly simplistic of me to say so, but it is the thugged out, take-the-easy-way version of the American dream. That's why it appeals to not just so many Americans, but so many dictators and demagogues. Or am I the only one who seems to recall always hearing about different jackass juntas etc. that supposedly love Scarface?

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Well, it's probably overly simplistic of me to say so, but it is the thugged out, take-the-easy-way version of the American dream. That's why it appeals to not just so many Americans, but so many dictators and demagogues. Or am I the only one who seems to recall always hearing about different jackass juntas etc. that supposedly love Scarface?

United States
    Is anyone interested in a remake of The Warriors? I'm not saying I am, but I think it'd be entertaining in a train wreck sorta way to watch someone try. Heck, I can't even figure out what I love about the movie, but I gotta watch it every time it comes on. I dig it baby. Can you dig it?
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.