Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle zombie homage to ROTLD?

Being Attacked

United States

Bicycle zombie homage to ROTLD?

I was watching 'Return of the Living Dead' with my wife and a friend of hers last night and I noticed something I hadn't before. The half zombie old lady that they tie down and interrogate "Eating brains stops the pain being dead" looks very similar to the "bicycle" zombie in ep. 1. Anyone think this was a conscious homage?

Undisclosed
    Personally, no, I don't think for a second it was an homage. But unless Frank Darabont actually says one way or another, we'll never know for sure.
    You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's paying homage to The Walking Dead comic series.

Super Moderator

United States
    Nice parallel you picked up on, Mpokera. Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, I can definitely see some of the resemblance with the piteous state of both creatures, the muddy decayed coloration and their weak languidness.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It's paying homage to The Walking Dead comic series.
    So Kirkman is the one we should be asking.

Being Attacked

United States
    Sheesh, certainly didnt mean to offend anyone. Simply thought there was a very strong resemblance between the two creatures and thought it might be a sly nod to another popular zombie movie.

And btw I get the TWD and GAR movies were both far greater than the spoofish ROTLD, dsnt mean it cant be light entertainment and have be worth a shout out to.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    No no, I get what you're saying, and yeah, I can see how you would think that. Good point, even. But yeah... I don't know...
    Anyway, when's "Unicorn Zombies" coming out?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mpokera View Post
    Sheesh, certainly didnt mean to offend anyone. Simply thought there was a very strong resemblance between the two creatures and thought it might be a sly nod to another popular zombie movie.

And btw I get the TWD and GAR movies were both far greater than the spoofish ROTLD, dsnt mean it cant be light entertainment and have be worth a shout out to.
    So what if people get offended? That just means you're earning you're stripes around here is all.

You made an observation and gave ROTLD some love. get over it peeps.

See? I probably just pissed off a few right now.

I'm one of like maybe 5 people around here who think the dawn remake is a kickass movie. Sure i get shit about it but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Read it and move on.

Never be tenative when it comes to stating where you stand on a particular issue.

But as to your point. Me thinks any zombie that looks like the ghoul on the embalming table is going to be compared to it just because it was the first.

Just as every ghoul who is missing their jaw since 1985 is invariably reminiscent of and and compared to Dr. tongue.

Twd had one just like that that I think daryl took out. Uh-oh i just compared it to the iconic Dr. tongue!

INCOMING!!!!

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Stay on the right side of the staff and you'll be safe around here

Dead

United States
    I must be the 6th person that thinks Dawn08 was good.
    It's really not the same type of zombie flick as the original IMO so I never really compared the 2.
    I also love ROTLD pt1, pt2 I like but not nearly as much.
    ROTLD pt1 was my intro to zombie flicks. I was too young to be able to appreciate Dawn or even Day when they were 1st released.
    Return had lots of zombies, lots of action, gore, comedy, punk music.
    I don't care who you are, if you can't appreciate Return for what it is you're taking the whole genre too seriously!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I don't care who you are, if you can't appreciate Return for what it is you're taking the whole genre too seriously!!
    Or...perhaps....just maybe....its possible.....that people have different opinions?

I definitely don't take ROTLD seriously. I know, I know...."It's a comedy!". So what if it is? Comedies can suck too. I've tried. I really have. But ROTLD is just not good, imho. Comedy, horror, musical, whatever you want to call it. And of course i'm not the only one that shares this opinion...
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jan-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: .

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mpokera View Post

Don't worry about what some of the more over zealous members think... and be careful what yu say baout ROTLD... It is way better than anything Romero has put out since LAND
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Don't worry about what some of the more over zealous members think... and be careful what yu say baout ROTLD... It is way better than anything Romero has put out since LAND
    And unlike land it doesn't drag. A very tight Aprox. 90 min. Land on the other hand had people walking out of the theater, including my sister who has loved Gar's dead films as I have since we were kids.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    And unlike land it doesn't drag. A very tight Aprox. 90 min.
    Land is 93 minutes and ROTLD is 91. Those two extra are killer.

Why must it always come back to Land/Dawn04. We're like broken records around this place...
    Last edited by bassman; 20-Jan-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Land is 93 minutes.
    Lolz

Funny but that's exactly my point. Both film are around 90 minutes yet one is over before you know it and the other (Land) made ME want to shoot myself in the head.

I think it's the whole big daddy fiasco. I try to imagine the movie without him and with the exception of a couple of cheesy parts (the dude with the headphones on the dock) it's not terrible.