Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Zone (film)

Ireland
    Just another "name rape" as the kewl kidz say these days.

I currently watching the entire show and I'm up to series 4, but the 1 hour format is offputting and there are some real clunkers in there too. I'm happy that the show returns to the original format in series 5.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Just another "name rape" as the kewl kidz say these days.

I currently watching the entire show and I'm up to series 4, but the 1 hour format is offputting and there are some real clunkers in there too. I'm happy that the show returns to the original format in series 5.
    the 4th season of TTZ is one that i hardly ever watch. one hour just doesn't suit what the show was about and most of the episodes feel stretched out. 1-3 and 5 are masterpieces of sci-fi and unfortunately, they just don't make them that like anymore.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    Yeh, agree completely Mike. It just isn’t sitting well with me at all. I was irritated by 'Jess Belle', the last episode I watched and generally uninterested to bored by the series so far. I understand that the next episodes; 'Miniature', 'Printer's Devil' and 'No Time like the Past' are good though.

You ever seen 'Night Gallery'? Serling's next project. If so, is it worth a look?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Yeh, agree completely Mike. It just isn’t sitting well with me at all. I was irritated by 'Jess Belle', the last episode I watched and generally uninterested to bored by the series so far. I understand that the next episodes; 'Miniature', 'Printer's Devil' and 'No Time like the Past' are good though.

You ever seen 'Night Gallery'? Serling's next project. If so, is it worth a look?
    "Night Gallery" is one of my fav tv shows ever. ever. i collect old tv from the 60s and 70s mostly and a "night gallery" is a must have. "Night Gallery" is much more horror oriented than twilight zone. in fact, it is safe to call "night gallery" a horror anthology show. all 3 seasons of it are great. i highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of it.

back to season 4: the episodes also look cheap. like they were shot on video or whatever shit it was that they shot soap operas on back then. the 4th season eps. just don't have the quality, neither visually nor story wise, that the other seasons do.
    Last edited by Mike70; 20-Oct-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: s

Ireland
    Cool. 'Night Gallery' will be on the cards so. I hear there's a few lovecraft stories in there too.

As for TTZ, only some episodes in Series 2 were shot on video tape. Everything else was shot on film. But, your right, there is definitely something "off" about that series (season), although I thoroughly enjoyed ‘Devil's Printer’ last night. The S4 stories are definitely padded out though, much to their detriment.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Cool. 'Night Gallery' will be on the cards so. I hear there's a few lovecraft stories in there too.
    yep. "pickman's model" and "cool air." both are pretty good. serling actually wrote the script for "pickman's model." there are also eps. based off stories by august derleth, richard matheson, algernon blackwood, and a. e. van vogt among others.

there is also an ep. about a college professor who starts reciting lovecraftian phrases and names from a book. things end badly for him.

another standout from night gallery is a ep. called "there aren't anymore McCabes." it has a definite lovecraft vibe.

another piece of trivia: the pilot movie for "night gallery" is a 3 segment affair. one of the segments ("eyes") was directed by steven spielberg. it was his first professional job, he was 23 years old, and the star of the segment was joan crawford. no pressure there, steve.
    Last edited by Mike70; 21-Oct-2011 at 01:08 AM. Reason: d

Ireland
    Yeh, I noticed that. 23 and directing Joan Crawford. He must have been shitting himself.

Watched 'Of Late I Think of Cliffordville' last night (amongst others). Pretty good, I thought. But it did have "Catwoman" in it, so it got an extra boost. I'd sell my soul that any day.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Yeh, I noticed that. 23 and directing Joan Crawford. He must have been shitting himself.
    another anthology show well worth checking out is "boris karloff's thriller", which is now available on DVD and netflix. it is excellent and some of the eps. are among the best horror ever done on tv.

"thriller" is interesting too in that it has a lot of folks in it who would go on to become stars later in their careers. mary tyler moore is in two of the eps (man was she hot back then), elizabeth montgomery, and tom poston come immediately to mind. it also has a lot of old time movie stars in it as well, like jack carson and john ireland.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    another piece of trivia: the pilot movie for "night gallery" is a 3 segment affair. one of the segments ("eyes") was directed by steven spielberg. it was his first professional job, he was 23 years old, and the star of the segment was joan crawford. no pressure there, steve.
    Not to much pressure it seems as, apparently behind the scenes Joan was teaching Steve how to belch and were friends years after. She even congratulated him when he made it big too. As, for Night Gallery I've only seen it once. The first time I saw it just striked me as, a Twilight Zone rip-off. I'll give it another chance though.

Dopes anybody know the quality merit of the Alfred Hitcock Hour? I've only seen a couple of episodes, but I distinctly remember most of them being top-notch. Almost up to Twlight Zone standards.

England
    Slightly related, I looted the complete original "Outer Limits" series from the interwebs last week, I'm about 10 shows into season 1...pretty good, a bit hokey at times, but still very enjoyable.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 31-Oct-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: .
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just spreading the word that the SyFy(silly name...) channel is playing The Twilight Zone all New Year's weekend. A perfect time to see what the series is all about if you for some reason have never seen it.

I hear that it's also comprised of the "viewers' choice" episodes, so it should be most of the greats.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Dopes anybody know the quality merit of the Alfred Hitcock Hour? I've only seen a couple of episodes, but I distinctly remember most of them being top-notch. Almost up to Twlight Zone standards.
    there were two alfred hitchcock shows. the AH hour and AH presents. both ran for about 300 years back in the 50s and 60s. they are both top notch, high quality level shows with a cavalcade of name stars from that era as guest stars.

peter lorre and the lighter. that's all i have to say.

-- -------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Just spreading the word that the SyFy(silly name...) channel is playing The Twilight Zone all New Year's weekend. A perfect time to see what the series is all about if you for some reason have never seen it.

I hear that it's also comprised of the "viewers' choice" episodes, so it should be most of the greats.
    always check that out whenever syfy does a marathon. i usually just peep in because i like a lot of the lesser known eps.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

I was just going to say, I'm glad folks are still running with this thread. It was a great series, worthy of much praise.

As for viewer's choice; I suggest a special episode that wasn't even produced for TZ originally, but which Serling himself thought it Zone-Worthy, An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge. ( Based on a classic short story written by Ambrose Bierce )
    This tale deals with an American Civil War Spy, about to be hung for his crime from the title bridge when unexpectedly the rope breaks. He runs for his life, dreaming of the woman he left waiting at home, but this is a Twilight Zone story, after all.

This is the Wiki link to the original film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occu...k_Bridge_(film)

Wayne Z
    Last edited by wayzim; 05-Jan-2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: link error

United States
    One of the best shows to ever air in my opinion. My favorite show (followed closely by All in the Family, Firefly, the original Outer Limits, MASH, MST3K)..I got hooked as a kid.

Anyone catch Tales from the Darkside, or Monsters on the Chiller channel these days?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Slightly related, I looted the complete original "Outer Limits" series from the interwebs last week, I'm about 10 shows into season 1...pretty good, a bit hokey at times, but still very enjoyable.
    "feasability study" is one the best pieces of scifi ever done on TV. it is a totally outstanding, moving episode about the nature of courage and sacrifice.

"my wife has already been infected. i'm going to take her hand. will someone take mine?"

Last edited by Mike70; 12-Jan-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: d