Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Twilight Zone (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

The Twilight Zone (film)

How friggin great was this series? Over the New Year weekend the syfy network was running a marathon. I hadn't seen the original series since I was a kid, really. It's now about three days since it ended and I can't stop thinking about it...

I'm not one to normally bitch about modern television too much, but they sure don't make 'em like they used to, do they? 52 years later and Serling's show is still incredibly gripping and often downright horrifying!

There's not much of a point to this thread other than to show some love and say I found a new love for something I hadn't seen in many, many moons. Anyone own the dvd or (available)Blu Rays? Any thoughts on if they're worth it? The dvd set is down to a reasonable hundred bucks these days, so I think i'm gonna give it a chance.

So what are your fond memories or favorite episodes of Twilight Zone?
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Jan-2011 at 11:37 PM. Reason: .

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The one that I always remember is the one by Harlan Ellison that James Cameron allegedly ripped off for The Terminator:

In the future, two perpetually warring states have reduced their populations entirely to brainwashed, genetically modified soldiers, over thousands of years of conflict. An energy discharge sends two enemies back in time to the present day where one is captured by the government and befriended by a scientist who tries to teach him compassion. Meanwhile, his foe remains on the prowl, intent on terminating his born enemy at any cost. Not the scariest episode, but pretty haunting...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Oh man, where do I begin?! I love this series! My father was lucky enough to acquire a good number of episodes on VHS when I was not yet in my teenage years, and cool enough to let me and my younger sister watch them. For me, the best ones involve talking dolls, 'Five Characters in Search of an Exit', "When, nurse? When when when will they take the bandages off?", 'Time Enough at Last', any trans-dimensional travel, any of the ones with space travel, 'The Monsters are due on Mulberry Street' (very NotLD), the Nazi haunted by the ghosts of the prison camp, "You're ten years old again, Pip. How come you're ten years old again?", and the one with the "incredible race of giants". Television has never been better.
    "I'm a mannequin, that's what I am, I'm a mannequin"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I haven't had a chance to see them all yet, but out of the marathon I really clicked with the few starring Burgess Meredith(Time Enough At Last was one, I believe). The one with the guy in the deserted town and discovers he's being observed. Reading about the show now it appears that might be the first episode. Also the infamous "To Serve Man" episode.

Another one I recognized from the 80's movie remake was Terror at 20,000 Feet. Good ol Shatner and directed by Richard Donner....didn't know that. The goblin makeup left a bit to be desired. Heh heh. Great episode, though.

United States
    Ironic this is mentioned today...

The first season of the "The Twilight Zone" on blu ray is available currently at Amazon.com for $48.99. It was $46.99 yesterday when I bought my copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Zone-...4196306&sr=8-1

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Let me know how that is, JD. I'm on the fence as to jump on the ENTIRE series on dvd for 100 bucks, or collect each season on blu ray for about 50-70 bucks a pop. In this case I'm thinking the series dvd set would probably be good enough. In any case....let me know please.

EDIT: Looking at the reviews on amazon, it appears that disc 4 on the blu ray set is defective. Make sure you check that out when you get yours...
    Last edited by bassman; 05-Jan-2011 at 02:09 AM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Let me know how that is, JD. I'm on the fence as to jump on the ENTIRE series on dvd for 100 bucks, or collect each season on blu ray for about 50-70 bucks a pop. In this case I'm thinking the series dvd set would probably be good enough. In any case....let me know please.
    It's a 50 year old show in black and white, I'm not for certain there can be any real "dramatic" transitions to HD v. standard definition for a show of that age (but here in about a week when I get it and start watching it then we'll see and I'll definitely post thoughts on it) -- even though the majority of the shows were filmed on 35 mm (only six or seven episodes were filmed on video because CBS had cut the budget one season). My main interest in acquiring it is because the special features are PHENOMENAL. Just about every episode has a commentary on it -- and some episodes have two or even three commentaries. That's the big selling point for me as I'd love to really capture unique thoughts from people like Marc Zicree on the show. Here's just a blurb of all the amazing special features for just the first season (and all the seasons released so far, the first 3 as of right now) have equally as much awesomeness...

# Exclusive Blu-ray Bonus Features: Extremely rare, never-before-released unofficial Twilight Zone pilot, "The Time Element," written by Rod Serling and hosted by Desi Arnaz
    # 19 New Audio Commentaries, featuring The Twilight Zone Companion author Marc Scott Zicree, author and film historian Gary Gerani (Fantastic Television), author and music historian Steven C. Smith (A Heart at Fire's Center: The Life and Music of Bernard Herrmann), music historians John Morgan and William T. Stromberg, writer/producer David Simkins (Lois & Clark, Dark Angel), writer Mark Fergus (Children of Men, Iron Man), actor William Reynolds and director Ted Post. Interviews with actors Dana Dillaway, Suzanne Lloyd, Beverly Garland and Ron Masak.
    # “Tales of Tomorrow” episode "What You Need."
    # Vintage audio interview with Director of Photography George T. Clemens.
    # 1977 syndication promos for "A Stop at Willoughby" and "The After Hours."
    # 18 Radio Dramas
    # 34 Isolated Music Scores featuring the legendary Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith and others! Set also includes:
    # Audio Commentaries by actors Earl Holliman, Martin Landau, Rod Taylor, Martin Milner, Kevin McCarthy, and CBS executive William Self.
    # Vintage Audio Recollections with actors Burgess Meredith and Anne Francis, directors Douglas Heyes and Richard L. Bare, producer Buck Houghton and writer Richard Matheson.
    # Rod Serling Audio Lectures from Sherwood Oaks College.
    # Rod Serling Promos for "Next Week's" Show.
    # Original Unaired Pilot Version of "Where is Everybody?" with Rod Serling's Network Pitch.
    # Footage of the Emmy Award wins for the series

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States

Another one I recognized from the 80's movie remake was Terror at 20,000 Feet. Good ol Shatner and directed by Richard Donner....didn't know that. The goblin makeup left a bit to be desired. Heh heh. Great episode, though.

It still scared the piss outta me.

Haven't this show in a year, but I like it's some times bleak, and scary endings just like, Tales from the Darkside.

I remember a specific one where the Devil saves a failing newspaper business. He's an old man in disguise. Apparently, anything he writes a paper about comes true. Anybody, know this episode?

So, far my favorite of the bunch, has to be when 2 cops come into a diner, or something and are questioning everybody. I don't remember exactly what, but one of the patrons happens to be a martin. I won't spoil more just in case no one has seen this episode, but remember being clearly surprised by the end of it.
    Last edited by Doc; 05-Jan-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Errors!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    The one that I always remember is the one by Harlan Ellison that James Cameron allegedly ripped off for The Terminator:

In the future, two perpetually warring states have reduced their populations entirely to brainwashed, genetically modified soldiers, over thousands of years of conflict. An energy discharge sends two enemies back in time to the present day where one is captured by the government and befriended by a scientist who tries to teach him compassion. Meanwhile, his foe remains on the prowl, intent on terminating his born enemy at any cost. Not the scariest episode, but pretty haunting...
    Dude! That's Outer Limits! Get your sci-fi shows straight!

Twilight Zone is great. Me and my friend watch it from time to time. We haven't seen it all, but I've seen most of the classics. To Serve Man, The Shelter, Terror at 20,000 Feet etc. etc. Great stuff!

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I remember a specific one where the Devil saves a failing newspaper business. He's an old man in disguise. Apparently, anything he writes a paper about comes true. Anybody, know this episode?
    Printer's Devil. Another Burgess Meredith episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    So, far my favorite of the bunch, has to be when 2 cops come into a diner, or something and are questioning everybody. I don't remember exactly what, but one of the patrons happens to be a martin. I won't spoil more just in case no one has seen this episode, but remember being clearly surprised by the end of it.
    Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? Great twist at the end.

The Twilight Zone is perhaps my favorite TV series of all time. Several of the episodes were based on short stories from the golden age of science fiction, or written by authors from that era. It used to be the highlight of my Thanksgiving, as channel 5 in Los Angeles has run a Twilight Zone marathon on Thanksgiving for many years.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

England
    Hands down, one of the greatest TV series ever IMO (always introduced by Serling, usually with a smoke in his hand which adds extra coolness). The intros really added something as well IMO, just made it more personal.

As for favorite episodes, there are lots.

"Two"

"Probe 7 Over and Out"

"The Lonely"

Third from the Sun"

"I shot an Arrow in the Air"

"The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street"

"A Hundred Yards Over the Rim"

"Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up"

"Nervous Man in a Four Dollar Room"

"Five Characters in Search of an Exit"

etc etc etc

And that's just a few, I downloaded all 5 series a couple of years ago, I will buy the box set this year though, as it's gone down in price a fair bit lately due to the blu-ray release.

Have a "Miss Devlin/Julie Newmar" pic as well...cuz she was gorgeous...

Last edited by Legion2213; 05-Jan-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: julie newmar action...
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    (always introduced by Serling, usually with a smoke in his hand which adds extra coolness).
    Are you sure he introduced each episode on screen? As I said earlier, i've only seen select episodes on a tv marathon, but I remember a few where it was just Serling's voice.

I haven't seen them, but did anyone see the 80's revamp of the series? Or the newer one with Forest Whitaker?

Ireland
    "That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed"

I recently...ahem "aquired" every episode and have been watching them. Great stuff. easily one of the greatest TV shows ever.

There was only a couple from the 1985 series that I liked though. 'A little peace and quiet' and 'Button Button'.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Are you sure he introduced each episode on screen? As I said earlier, i've only seen select episodes on a tv marathon, but I remember a few where it was just Serling's voice.

I haven't seen them, but did anyone see the 80's revamp of the series? Or the newer one with Forest Whitaker?
    I'm pretty sure that majority were introduced by Rod who was on screen...usually in the actual story-set itself. I may have to watch them all again just to confirm it...

As for the remakes, I think I watched some of the 80's ones, but I may have them mixed up with the relaunch of "The Outer Limits"

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    "That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed"

I recently...ahem "aquired" every episode and have been watching them. Great stuff. easily one of the greatest TV shows ever.

There was only a couple from the 1985 series that I liked though. 'A little peace and quiet' and 'Button Button'.
    "A little peace and quiet" is the one where the woman finds the necklace/charm that stops time isn't it? I enjoyed that one, but they did a similair thing with a watch in the original series.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Ireland
    Yep. She finds a necklace. Great ending.

Don't remember the one with the watch in the original series though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....