Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ahh, religion and ignorance at its modern day best!

Administrator

England

Ahh, religion and ignorance at its modern day best!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Sad. A disgusting start to the new year.
    Considering that Pakistan is a demographic timebomb as well as a haven for extremists, things are once again looking pretty grim for the future.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    Sad. A disgusting start to the new year.
    Considering that Pakistan is a demographic timebomb as well as a haven for extremists, things are once again looking pretty grim for the future.

Well, Glad to see that whole "war on terror" thing that has bankrupted this country has paid off.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    well, glad to see that whole "war on terror" thing that has bankrupted this country has paid off.

lol!!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Sometimes it feels like we live in the 17th century and not the 21st.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Yeah... were it not for the technology, and all that stuff...

United States
    Religion can be a scary thing but personally I believe if more people lived by the golden rule then the world would be a much better place weither you believe in a God or not. Too many people caught up in themselves or their actions to even give a shit about someone driving a vehicle behind them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I understand that religion is not a choice, an ironic trait shared by homosexuality, and one cannot choose to stop believing in god. But I do think that most need to at least do some fact checking and start thinking outside their box.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Religion can be a scary thing but personally I believe if more people lived by the golden rule then the world would be a much better place weither you believe in a God or not. Too many people caught up in themselves or their actions to even give a shit about someone driving a vehicle behind them.
    You're talking about ethics and morality, which in itself has nothing to really do with religion as such.

ie: There's no reason why folks can behave nicely to each other and yet not believe in a God.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You're talking about ethics and morality, which in itself has nothing to really do with religion as such.

ie: There's no reason why folks can behave nicely to each other and yet not believe in a God.
    I agree.

“Ethical Culture is religious to those who are religiously minded, and merely ethical to those who are not so minded.”

--Felix Adler, speaking on the Ethical Culture movement

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Don't know what it is but ethics, morals and manners are at a premium now days.

It's seems that people in general are very mean and couldn't care less about something unless it affects them or someone they love directly.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I understand that religion is not a choice, an ironic trait shared by homosexuality, and one cannot choose to stop believing in god. But I do think that most need to at least do some fact checking and start thinking outside their box.
    Religion after the age of accountability is certainly a choice -- me thinks.

Someone may be pre-disposed to a specific religion (i.e. their parents being a certain faith) -- but there's a difference between being culturally pre-disposed towards something and actively partaking/participating. Someone can be born into a Baptist family -- it doesn't mean that person will be a Baptist even though they are culturally pre-disposed to being the same as their family. Religion is only outside an individual's personal choice when they are too young to have no say in the matter -- after the age of accountability (which varies from different cultures and societies) it's all about a matter of choosing to believe and follow a religious path and/or not. It's all about choice after that point. I choose to be Catholic because it makes the most sense to me -- it was not forced upon me (in fact, I'm the only Catholic in my very Baptist family). Of course, most people won't ever bother to think for themselves in differing what their parents and/or peers believed when they were being raised which is a shame. In this matter, I agree 100% with you that people need to start thinking outside their box.

I'm not even going to start in on the homosexuality thing as being a choice or not because it will only prove to start raising people here coming after my throat (which I prefer non-bloody) -- but needless to say I would disagree with some's thoughts on the matter.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

True enough

I'm wasn't saying religion dictates weither your a good person or a bad person but most religions are built around good ethics and morals. The golden rule isn't a religious only concept.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I disagree, religion and sexuality is indeed a choice. People flip flop on both topics all the time. Couples sometimes get a divorce and one of people pursue a relationship with someone of the same gender afterward.

EDIT: Guess I opened the can of worms that JDFP wanted to avoid. I once had a gay boss who did what I said in the above statement. He got married and had kids or a kid not sure which one it was but after 10 years or so him and his wife split and he became gay afterwards. This is why I have the opinion that I do.
    Last edited by Mr. Clean; 06-Jan-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Addition

United States
    I was Just reading something about this. "10 things Athiests and Christians can (and must) agree on":

http://www.cracked.com/article_15759...-agree-on.html

Rationality and Faith can work hand in hand.

Militant Fundimentalism, of any stripe, helps no one.
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    I disagree, religion and sexuality is indeed a choice. People flip flop on both topics all the time. Couples sometimes get a divorce and one of people pursue a relationship with someone of the same gender afterward.
    Well said. And agreed.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever