View Poll Results: How would you survive?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay at home and barricade the doors and windows

10 31.25%
  • Go out, get a vehicle and survive on the road.

22 68.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting question..

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think the most serious problem I'd face in a zombie situation would be the lack of food distributed by the goverment. Since imports and exports would drop considerably as many other countries succumbed completly to the zombie plague, it'd would be difficult for the goverment to get food supplies to everyone. Deliveries for grocery stores and such would have to be seriously reworked.

Like in the middle ages when the black plague took out a third of the population in europe, the farming income dropped considerably. I imagine a similar scenario here. Our goverment wouldn't collapse, but we'd have major supply trouble.

I'd have to start growing vegetables, and stuff. Maybe even move to a farm until it all sorts itself out.

United States

I think the better question would be...

Honestly, would YOU survive an outbreak?

Personally, I can't say if I will or won't. I don't know until it happens and I hope for God's Sake it doesn't.

I have numerous equipment, skills, knowledge of some places.

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

United States
    I live inside the DC beltway. After seeing Katrina and the highways, our chances of driving out are nil.

However, there are riding horses at the U of MD that could be stolen and used to go cross country.....hmmm.

Canada
    driving ahahah not a chance , not out of major cities. not only would u have to comabt any zombies but also the crazies and people just stuck in chaos mode. as i always have said it be the hillbillies who save humanity and or rebuild it.

you could also hold up until enough people have been turned, it be a hell of a fight and reguire alot if rounds.

the goverment hmm it would fall, first the basic level and work it way upwards. the federal being the last to fall. you know when it gonna hit the fan anywhere when they declare marshall law. that when u start cracking out your guns and cock ur glock .

Undisclosed
    Stay at home. I would need to go out every now and then to restock a few supplies.

United States
    You know... I've thought about this a lot.

And then I decided not too because it was so frickin depressing.

I mean, seriously, there's NO WAY OUT. Everybody's against you and all it takes is a serious injury, an accident, hell even a bite from one of them and you're done for good.

Logan theorized in Day that it'd take like what, 10 someodd years for the zombies to decompose enough to be non-functional, and you'd definitely run out of any food or gas or ammunition well before that.

So the definitive answer if a zombie outbreak were ever to occur: We're f*cked.

Undisclosed
    I'd have to say hit the road as well, to a very rural area. Time to bone up on those hunting and fishing skills, huh?

Undisclosed

OK here goes...

I live in Baltimore county surrounded by graveyards. (about 3 within a 5 mile radius)

But I live in a gated community with walls on 3 sides and water to the 4th. (Im not counting on swimming zombies). However the enterance gate is only like those at a parking garage so no safty there Im thinking you might be able to block that off somehow...Crashing cars and trucks into it? (any ideas) But I would stay here til I've seen all the options and how bad its going to get.

Also I have a 2 year old...not fun to lug around on the road during a zombie crisis

United States
    Actually those gated communities make for very good basic fortifications. The trick is where the community is located. Is it in the suburbs outside the major metropolitan areas. Those would be easier to fortify if everyone is in agreement to do what needs to be done. Second, who would be allowed into the place once all those who decided to stay have stayed. These places, once fortified, barricaded and constantly guarded would have more trouble from raiders than the zombies themselves.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Atlanta, GA -- right smack in the middle of the Walking Dead apocalypse
    Undisclosed
    Well, my partner and I have already made an escape plan with a couple alternatives for any natural (or supernatural) disaster that may happen. We also have a couple of months of food, heating, water filters and communication devices. I think being a good citizen means being able to take care of yourself to the best of your ability, when the grids sputters off for a while. One less family in line helps everyone out.

We live smack-dab in the middle of downtown Atlanta, so I believe other humans would be our biggest obstacle to overcome, at least at first. We wouldn't stand a chance against the raiders, riots or random break-ins that would inevitably happen...

My thinking is that anytime the supply trucks really quit running, you've only got 24 hours before chaos starts to breakout, if that! Add the walking dead and the flesh-eating thing, and people are wigging out from the very beggining. So, we've got a destination in mind at a family house 1.5 hours north of the city. It's on a huge body of potable water with good fishing. They live on a hill, so there's good visibility. The population is low density. Also, there's plenty of game and woods in the area.

However, I really believe a real GAR-type outbreak would be really difficult to survive, unless you could almost completely get away from civilization. I think your best bet is a 10-year-stocked-bunker somewhere up in Deliverance territory. Not many of us have a bunker for a vacation home, so most of us are zombie chow...

This discussion has reminded me of a Hank Williams, Jr. (and Kid Rock) song, "A Country Boy Can Survive"

The preacher man says its the end of time
    and the Mississippi River she's a going dry.
    The interest is up and the stock markets down
    and you only get mugged if you go downtown.
    I live back in the woods you see,
    my woman,and the kids and the dogs and me.
    I got a shotgun and a rifle and a four wheel drive
    and a countryboy can survive. Country folks can survive.

I can plow a field all day long,
    I can catch catfish from dusk til dawn.
    Make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
    aint to many things these boys can't do.
    We grow good old tomatoes and homemade wine
    and countryboy can survive, country folk can survive.

Because you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run,
    cause we're them ole boys raised on shotguns.
    We say grace and we say mam
    amd if you aint into that we don't give a damn.
    We came from the West Virginia coal mine's
    and the Rocky Mountains and the Western skies
    and we can skin a buck, we can run a trout line
    and a countryboy can survive, country folks can survive.

I had a good friend in New York City
    he never called me by my name just hillbilly.
    My Grandpa taught me how to live off the land
    and his taught him to be a business man
    He used to send me pictures of the Broadway Nights
    and i would send him some homemade wine
    but he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife,
    for forty three dollars my friend lost his life.
    I'd love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
    and shoot him with my ole forty-five
    cause a countryboy can survive, country folks can survive.

'Cause you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run,
    and we're them ole boys raised on shotgun.
    We say grace, we say mam,
    if you aint into that we don't give a damn.
    We're from North California and South Alabam'
    and little towns all around this land.
    We can skin a buck, and run a trout line
    and a countryboy can survive,
    country folks can survive,
    countryboy can survive,
    country folks can survive
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Foster: You're not running a talk show here, Mr. Berman! You can forget pitching an audience the moral bu11sh*t they want to hear!

http://deadandhungry.vox.com/