Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: castle pros and cons

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Capn was telling me that he joined up there. Considered it myslef. I'll just have to avoid that section. Looks like they're taking it a little too seriously.
    I used to be a regular there years ago, but gradually all the cool dudes left, and all the pre-pubescent kids and suvivalist types moved into the vacuum, and it just became the same conversations over and over and over again.... even worse than here

I would estimate that about one quarter of that site's userbase has never seen a GAR film and about one sixth has never seen a zombie outside of a Resident Evil cutscene.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 16-Jan-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: .

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Because you couldn't understand it, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    True, there is a word called 'mote', (see the song by Sonic Youth of this name) however, the one for castles is the moat.
    Actually, all of y'all are wrong.

1. The guy originally said "motte," not "mote."

2. "Motte" is a word, and it does relate to castles, and means something different than "moat."

3. Therefore, the error (if the original poster meant "moat") did create an understanding problem.

An early type of castle in Norman England was called a "motte-and-bailey." In a motte-and-bailey castle, you typically have a small keep (often originally made of wood) on top of a mound (the motte) surrounded by a wooden palisade (the bailey). Because a motte is a hill (often artificial, made by piling up dirt from a moat or ditch around the castle), "motte" is almost the opposite of "moat." Weird, eh?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Awesome, Pub-man! Thanks for the knowledge! I feel... smarter... which is very unusual... for me...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm pretty sure he meant the water one.

Interesting info, though!