Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: castle pros and cons

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

castle pros and cons

im not saying once an outbreak occurs build a castle but rather how it might be in one. i was thinking a medieval english castle with motte and stone walls...modern times of course. as you know each castle is different but for example the tower of london is more or less a complex with walls surrounded by other walls that could provide some room to grow a garden for food. i know castles were built on natural spring sites to ensure fresh water during seiges so fresh water is not a issue. please weigh in with your ideas since its been awhile since i seen a topic like this on here.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Sounds good and all, but eventually the dead would just keep packing up against the walls outside and you would never be able to make scavenger runs. The mote wouldn't really help if you consider it the same as Land...

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    may be a little far fetched but what about possible tunnels leading far away that could be used, that is until they were found then its a different story. i never really put much faith in the motte, using it more for to just set the scene.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Okay, what is this 'mote' nonsense, first of all? Surely it's spelled 'moat'?
    With that said, I think a fortress of this nature is an excellent idea! And if you had enough crops and fresh water for all, scavenger runs would be much less important/needed. So... yes, I think this is a grand plan!
    Tunnels... that could get bad... eventually, they would probably be discovered...

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    sorry about the spelling. i seen it spelled like that in a game one time

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Okay, what is this 'mote' nonsense, first of all? Surely it's spelled 'moat'?

Because you couldn't understand it, right?

With that said, I think a fortress of this nature is an excellent idea! And if you had enough crops and fresh water for all, scavenger runs would be much less important/needed.
    You've got to get the seeds and essentials to start the crops in the first place.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Cool... Games are definitely the best places to see proper spelling of things... "Bimmy and Jimmy"...
    But I digress. True, there is a word called 'mote', (see the song by Sonic Youth of this name) however, the one for castles is the moat.
    Anyway, yes! Again, good idea... but if someone inside was infected... then it would be the Masque of the Red Death, wouldn't it?

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Because you couldn't understand it, right?
    Exactly.
    I started singing in my head, "When you feel the spiral turning for you alone..." and then I got lost...
    Sorry, but proper english is essential! It's an endangered species, bass!

Canada
    Pros- Big huge walls that keep the dead out
    Cons- Big huge walls that keep the living in

England
    If you have helicoptor supply you are good to go...castles were usually built on top of a good source of water with a commanding view of the surrounding area as well, so food and ammo would be the only concerns.

Given prep time a (super rich millionare type) could stock a decades worth of food, water and ammo for a select group of folks...

[Dr Strangelove] "ten women for every man" [Dr Strangelove]

...or maybe not

But a small group of 20 or so people with all those supplies would be better off than 99% of the rest of the poor saps in a zombiegeddon situation.

Over here in the UK, we built some cool little sea forts during WWII, tidy little things they were, unfortunately, I don't think any are still around, they would be excellent if you had a boat or two.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Over here in the UK, we built some cool little sea forts during WWII, tidy little things they were, unfortunately, I don't think any are still around, they would be excellent if you had a boat or two.
    Isn't the micro nation Sealand a former WWII sea fort? Damn cool things, if you ask me.

Yes, castles, motte & bailey (wrap your head around that spelling, Blind) etc. would be good in some situations.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Ireland
    Castles were/are dreadful, even when they were considered the pinacle of defensive technology. They are only ok against a siege for a short time, i.e. the time it takes for your side to mount a successful counter attack from without against the siege forces and that's only provided you have enough provisions to last for the people within.

Against an army that can't die or won't go away, it would be a tomb.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    Pros- Big huge walls that keep the dead out
    Cons- Big huge walls that keep the living in
    So where they see walls you see a prison? Thanks Riley!
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

United States
    To me, a big mark for the pro column would be that you could sleep at night without worrying about being eaten by zombies!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    And so it begins again...

This shall be us before long people, mark my words.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 16-Jan-2011 at 07:28 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Capn was telling me that he joined up there. Considered it myslef. I'll just have to avoid that section. Looks like they're taking it a little too seriously.