Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (film)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Here's a video proving that they definitely re-dubbed Bane's voice after the prologue was released last December.

Of course don't watch this if you haven't seen the film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZW5qyc2g6U

This is one of the biggest things that bothered me while watching the movie. IMO, they should have left it with the original on-screen dialogue. Some of Bane's dialogue in the film was just as unintentionally funny as

Talia's hilarious cartoon-like death
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Aug-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Haven't read any of this thread yet, finally getting to see this tonight

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Glad they re-dubbed it - the original audio is barely intelligible!

Ireland
    Agreed.

I was a bit "oh er..." before I saw the film. But, once the show was on, I was fine. In fact I sorta liked Banes weird way of talking.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

United States
    I am.

Gotham's.

Subwoofer.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Here's a video proving that they definitely re-dubbed Bane's voice after the prologue was released last December.

Of course don't watch this if you haven't seen the film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZW5qyc2g6U

This is one of the biggest things that bothered me while watching the movie. IMO, they should have left it with the original on-screen dialogue. Some of Bane's dialogue in the film was just as unintentionally funny as

Talia's hilarious cartoon-like death
    The original dialogue seemed so bad I think they had to redub it IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Agreed.

I was a bit "oh er..." before I saw the film. But, once the show was on, I was fine. In fact I sorta liked Banes weird way of talking.
    It's ideal for immitation too. It's such a strange and weird sounding voice that it's chilling, but also fun.

This reminds me, just before the movie started, my mate said that one of our other mates (who couldn't make that screening we were at) said he thought the line was "Gotham's Rectum'ing", so when that line came up in the movie (re-dubbed of course), I couldn't help but chuckle.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It's ideal for immitation too. It's such a strange and weird sounding voice that it's chilling, but also fun.
    It's a bit Gandalf + Sean Connery + Darth Vader isn't it?
    His public speeches in the film are (dark ) comedy gold.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by krisvds View Post
    It's a bit Gandalf + Sean Connery + Darth Vader isn't it?
    His public speeches in the film are (dark ) comedy gold.
    hehe, spot on Sir.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I know. I've been saying "I am Gotham's reckoning" all week in my best Bane voice.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I've been saying "I am Gotham's reckoning" all week in my best Bane voice.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot.
    Are the two things connected?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland

Not entirely, it's just the latest reason.

Super Moderator

United States
    Didn't post last night after having finally viewed the film, as I needed time to ruminate. At least the film, which had me somewhat conflicted, managed to make enough of an impression to have me trying to figure out how I really felt about it.

First off, the acting was pretty above board and ranged from decent to really well done:

• Gordon-Levitt's Blake, was, I felt, one of the better written and acted parts of the film. He sold the emotional impact of the Dark Knight on Gotham and, along with Caine, managed to give some sorely needed emotional underpinnings to the film, while adding a nice moral touchstone. A lot of characters added to serve such a purpose in films come off as perfunctory, when they are supposed to be likable and engaging, but this guy sold it for me.
    • Caine was solid, as usual in the Batman films, blurring the line between the poignant and schmaltzy, but as the emotional sounding board of the franchise, that was probably unavoidable. There were a couple times where I thought it was a bit much, but he did generally a very good job with what he was given.
    • Hardy, I really like, and he sold the character on his physical acting. The pacing of the lines were delivered well, but the voice modulation was hit or miss for me. At times the voice was annoying, at times awesome and at other times incomprehensible/unintelligible. The problems I had following some of the character's lines could have stemmed from the theaters speakers, but all the other sound seemed fine. In the end, I sometimes felt gypped, because Hardy's natural, unaltered speaking voice kicks shedloads of ass.
    • Hathaway was passable and sexy. I'd say more, but I don't know that she merits it, except to say that she definitely felt, to me, that she fit Nolan's vision and his world, and that's not bad.
    • Oldamn, solid as always, but something seemed old hat with the character.
    • Freeman, what you'd expect...he served a narrowly focused purpose in the film and did it well enough.
    • Marion Cotillard...oh, how I've crushed on her hard since Inception. She did well in the movie, and sold her role, for what little time we really got to see any substance from the character (a bit of a disappointment in such a bloated film).
    • Cillian Murphy...perfect! Not so much because of his talent, which didn't have any major chance to shine, but just to include him yet again.
    • Bale, did a tolerable job on selling the character, as always, though that ever-changing cancer voice of Batman grated on me more than it did in either of the previous films. Perhaps because there was just too much modulation in the film, already. I can't help but feel Bale lost a step somewhere, but I don't know if it was in his delivery or the way the character was written.

So, the film was epic, in many respects, but there was some flatness to it at times and it definitely felt long and bloated with some uninspired fight scenes (especially between Bane and Batman) whose choreography needed a tune up. Overall, a very well conceived film, with some questionable execution and structure (for me), it nonetheless had a great (I dare say powerful) ending and tied things up nicely.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I believe this is the first time i've heard anyone complaining about the fights. I thought the fights in this film were leaps and bounds ahead of BB and TDK. Nolan seemed to improve over the course of the three films, imo. BB was chop cuts and extreme close ups, TDK was more wide but generally too fast, and TDKR seemed to strike a perfect combination between the two. Wide shots with visible actions and fewer cuts.

The pure FORCE is the best thing about the fights in TDKR. They did a great job selling Bane as being physically superior to Wayne. A certain "cracking" scene in the sewer and an incredibly fast series of rib shots up against a pillar toward the end of the film made my jaw drop. On one of those I think I accidentally said "HOLY SH*T!" out loud.
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Aug-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I believe this is the first time i've heard anyone complaining about the fights.
    For me it was the Bane v. Batman fights, which overall seemed too much of a slugfest and out of character with what I'd come to expect from a Batman fighting style, that were a letdown.

The major confrontation where both characters were on more equal ground had an overly lit, wide angled, stark aspect to the beginning of it. I did not like Batman out in the middle of the open, popping against a washed out backdrop, street-fighting in a riot...just works counter to the character's visual appeal, for me. This is sort of the polar opposite from some earlier issues in other Batman films I've had (especially the 90s films) where everything is so dark you don't actually see anything. The extreme lighting just screamed "dude in a rubber suit', which hadn't been as much of a problem in the last two films, for me.