Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (film)

United States

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Worst. Death. EVER."

It really, really is....
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Aug-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    "Worst. Death. EVER."

It really, really is....
    "Because I'm Batman!"

"Walking right into that one, didn't I?"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    If it does do as much business as TDK, I will stand on a mountain top and scream "Bassman was right, I'm a moron!" but, if it doesn't... where do we go from here, dude?

Either way, this sounds interesting. I agree with you about Anne Hathaway. Not so sure about her in that particular role, but regardless, I'm sure I'll get suckered into watching this one too. Damn you Nolan!

He seems to have a good grasp on these films though, so perhaps we're in for another pleasant surprise. *fingers crossed*
    Ok, so why aren't you screaming... this film made $425,000,000 so far and I ain't heard a peep. Plus, you can't hold it to the same money standard as TDK, No one in the cast died. Plus, you now have to add into the mix some fucking idiot walked into a crowded auditorium and opened fire which of course kept people away from movies for the past couple of weeks.

However, this is on track to surpass TDK when using WW grosses combined. As it is making more money overseas than here in the USA.

.... hmmm, still no sound.

-- -------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    OK, that cheered me up this morning
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    However, this is on track to surpass TDK when using WW grosses combined. As it is making more money overseas than here in the USA.
    Rises surpassed TDK over the Labor Day Weekend. 1.003 billion for TDK and 1.005 billion for Rises. How can that possibly happen without any cast members being dead?!?!

Lou....I'm waiting.
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Sep-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ever since somebody pointed out that these films are completely humourless I haven't been able to enjoy them as much. Damnit.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Ever since somebody pointed out that these films are completely humourless I haven't been able to enjoy them as much. Damnit.
    Completely humourless? I wouldn't agree, there are quips and asides throughout, but Rises definitely has a colder tone because it's a very dark culmination of an arc. I think there's been a decrease in the sort of passing gags that we saw in, for example, the Batmobile chase sequence in Batman Begins, which featured loads of smirky lines and looks ... that stuff was decreased in Rises, for sure, but it wasn't without chuckles. Such as...

Cat Woman pinches Wayne's car, Batman trying to tell Cat Woman how to operate the Batpod, Cat Woman 'doing a Batman' and vanishing when his back is turned, etc ... the first three that spring to mind, but it's good that they didn't try to crowbar in more chuckles just for the sake of it. Completing a three-movie story arc should indeed take the lead.

Ireland
    Why does there have to be humour in it anyway?

Most of the time the "humour" in films is bloody awful/
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I would agree that the humour in these films is rather awful, as detailed in MZ's spoiler tag. But a film like this, especially part 2 and 3, I feel take themselves a bit too seriously. Especially when it's really just a film about a guy running around in a batsuit. No amount of Nolan's vision is going to change that (unless they remove the batsuit). I think there's a clash between what these film aims too be and what they actually are. They overreach and don't quite get there. Very good films, I love them. But they're never gonna reach that David Lean status, no matter how hard Nolan tries, because it's about a hero in a batsuit. And all that comes with it. The films should either act like it, or drop the more silly parts of the storyline/universe.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 04-Sep-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: roric

Administrator

England
    Director's cut on the way with 30mins more footage?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58120

Christopher Nolan may well be planning a Director's Cut for the Blu-Ray release. Who their sources are I have no idea, but it actually wouldn't be unprecedented - costume designer Lindy Hemming told GQ recently that there was a whole sequence on Bane's origin that was filmed but not used in the movie. In addition, Nuke The Fridge states that there are new scenes with Ra's Al Ghul (Liam Neeson) that were filmed as well. They state that the total scenes would add another thirty minutes to an already pretty long movie.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Director's cut on the way with 30mins more footage?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58120
    I'd definitely be down for that, perhaps it would add some shading to some of the side characters. It was impressive that they were able to juggle so many characters and so many plot points within the theatrical run-time though ... but then again they managed it with The Dark Knight, which was a very densely-packed film. Perhaps having the option of watching either version on the Blu-Ray would be the idea? I'd definitely be down for that!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Normally I wouldn't believe it because Nolan has said many times that the theatrical cuts of his films ARE the director's cut, but in this case there's a slight chance it's true. Before TDKR was released Nolan said he had to cut down some scenes that he wanted in because of the size of IMAX reels. He simply couldn't have the scenes in there because the film would actually be too long to work with IMAX projectors...
    Last edited by bassman; 06-Sep-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Normally I wouldn't believe it because Nolan has said many times that the theatrical cuts of his films ARE the director's cut, but in this case there's a slight chance it's true. Before TDKR was released Nolan said he had to cut down some scenes that he wanted in because of the size of IMAX reels. He simply couldn't have the scenes in there because the film would actually be too long to work with IMAX projectors...
    Interesting factoid there. Didn't know that, and as you say, it could mean that this might indeed be true.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    DVD/Blu Ray announced: December 4th. As expected, it's the same as the theatrical cut.

Special Features:

•The Journey of Bruce Wayne
    •The Batmobile documentary
    •Ending the Knight - an in-depth look featuring about 17 featurettes at how Nolan and his production team made The Dark Knight Rises

"Ending the Knight" sounds like a good length documentary. I was a bit bummed that the previous film's release was lacking in the special features department, but this sounds better.

Also a special edition case:

I was thinking about waiting for the inevitable trilogy box set, but the decent special features and broken cowl make me reconsider. Besides, it could be a year a two before the box set. Likely during the 2013 holidays...
    Last edited by bassman; 28-Sep-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I too was a bit annoyed by the seeming lack of special features on TDK - there were some, but it was a bit scant in general. Batman Begins on the other hand was loaded for its 2-disc treatment. TDKR will certainly be a blu-ray pre-order for me. Hopefully there won't be multiple versions of the blu-ray, as you never know until near the release date what the layout will be - Prometheus for example, fortunately I found out in advance, but if you want the hours of making of documentaries, you have to buy the "Special Edition" (previously named something else) which features the 3D version as well as the 2D. Had to switch my pre-order on that one.