Thread: Dexter - the series finale...

Super Moderator

UK

Dexter - the series finale...

So who's been watching the final season of Dexter?

The finale was on last night - what did people think of it?

My thoughts:

I felt it was a bit too harsh on Deborah going out like that, although it did pack an emotional punch, which the show isn't usually known for - at least in my view - and I'm somewhat split on the final season with bearded Dexter sitting alone in a bare room as a lumberjack ... he's still out there, but living a sad and empty existence, but it seems a bit cheap after him riding into a ruddy hurricane - how did he survive that?

It would have been better cutting that scene out entirely and leaving it on Harrison and Hannah walking off to get ice cream.

A surprisingly emotional finale, all-in-all, meaning the show went out strong in it's final episode. This final season has been better than the last couple, but season 4 still remains the high point of all of it. Season 6 was pretty pish, and Season 7 was all over the place with loads of wasted/boring side plots ... season 8 on the other hand has been a bit up and down, but it's held my interest far more than 6 and 7 that's for sure.

What did anyone else think about the end of Dexter?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

What did anyone else think about the end of Dexter?
    I thought it was good, but...

I was hoping for a slightly more bittersweet ending, as opposed just dark and sad. I felt bad for Deb, of course, but I really hoped that would be the spur that pushed Dexter on to moving forward in his life, no matter how far fetched that would be.

What a great series, though. It's always hard to end these things properly and I feel like they brought the series to a logical conclusion, but unfortunately (and naturally) that entailed it ending on a total downbeat.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I know what you mean...

I was thinking that maybe he'd finally be able to move on with his life and stop killing - I can see the thematic and emotional impact of his last kill being one of mercy for his own sister, but yeah, I did think it was rather harsh for Deb, especially with what Quinn had been saying about doing enough good to cancel out the bad.

I too thought that Dexter might go on to live a normal life with Hannah and Harrison, but well, there we are. It was suprisingly more of a downbeat ending than I might have expected, but at the same time it was memorable. It certainly wasn't a shitty ending, it was pretty good all-round, even if it was a bit sad.

And that final scene was a misjudgement. They'd fully committed to killing off Deb and went all-out with Dexter casting her body into the spot where he'd take his other bodies - but this time it was an emotional release of sorts - and then having him seemingly commit suicide by riding into the storm ... and then it's like "PSYCH! He's now a lumberjack!" ... yeah, if I'd been in the writer's room or edit suite I'd have said to slice that scene out entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

An interview with the showrunner about the finale:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dexter-series-finale-showrunner-scott-632536 (FINALE SPOILERS AHEAD, naturally).

There's some good points made in there, and some interesting arguments about the direction of the finale and why he chose to do what he did with the episode - valid arguments and I can see his perspective, but I still think I'd prefer that that last scene hadn't been included. But to each their own.