Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case of 12 Mint Dawn of the Dead SPI Games 1978

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Andy gets a 99% staff discount obviously.

ViP

United States
    I see a couple of these on eBay a month and used copies go for around $40, and mint copies closer to 80. Here's the thing, if you drop all of them on eBay at once, they will all sell for much cheaper than if you spaced out the sales (perhaps one a month). If you list them consecutively, they will get 5% or so less with each one you sell. The way I think you can get the max profit in the quickest amount of time is if you list them all at once, with a buy it now of something reasonable ($60 range), they will all sell in short order, with maybe a couple of stragglers left over to relist. The bottom line is, there is a very limited market for these. Most people who would spend some decent coin on one of these probably already have one.

Being Attacked

United States
    I wouldn't consider selling for $40-$60. The going price for games strategy games printed today averages around that range and that's with no movie tie-in. Besides, there is a standing offer of $85 at Toad and Troll: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1...wn-of-the-dead. At $60 a piece, I'll just hold them.

WN

ViP

United States
    $85 a piece is more than reasonable and I would suggest you call Toad and Troll on that offer.

Here is a recent auction for an open, but unused game that ended at $60 (directly in the middle of my 40 used, 80 mint estimation)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-Dead-Board-...item33640f7f1a

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    $85 a piece is more than reasonable and I would suggest you call Toad and Troll on that offer.

Here is a recent auction for an open, but unused game that ended at $60 (directly in the middle of my 40 used, 80 mint estimation)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-Dead-Board-...item33640f7f1a
    The person listing it made two big mistakes. By not including SPI in the listing they no doubt missed out on several bidders. Putting the listing in the goofy category they did they missed out on several more. Lucky grab for the person that got it.

WN
    Last edited by Wrong Number; 22-Jan-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added to it

ViP

United States
    WN, I am not trying to be a dick. In fact, I am trying to help you out. I scour eBay every day for Dawn merchandise, and have been doing so for years. The figures I am giving you are accurate, regardless of what category the auction was listed in. GOOD LUCK!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    WN, I am not trying to be a dick. In fact, I am trying to help you out. I scour eBay every day for Dawn merchandise, and have been doing so for years. The figures I am giving you are accurate, regardless of what category the auction was listed in. GOOD LUCK!
    I agree with axlish. An item is worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it. You might get lucky and get 100+ for some but others may go lower than 60. I've been selling on Ebay since 1998 and learned early on not to get attached to a particular item or how much I hope to get for it.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Being Attacked

United States
    Considering what I paid for them 15 years ago $60 a piece would not be worth my time or effort. Besides, there is the $85 standing offer from a reseller who lists it for $150 for a complete playing copy, not mint, not in shrink. Being a gamer for over 30 years and selling games since the netnews days I can say with certainly that leaving SPI off the listing and listing in the wrong category absolutely have an impact on the price you receive. Running a business selling restored vintage pinball machines for over 8 years I can also tell you that Ebay is absolutely the worst place to sell those types of items.

My purpose for offering them here was because I thought people here would look at the condition appreciate them more as collector's items rather than just playing copies like I do. Being a hardcore DotD fan since 1978 I'd rather hold them then sell for some ridiculously low price. New games I buy today go for $40-80 on average and the $150 Toad and Troll sale price for a played copy along with the $85 standing offer my thinking was $125 each was a reasonable good price for a mint copy. If people want them, fine if not, fine.

WN

Administrator

England
    Well if your going to break the set up then I'll give you $125 for one of them. Find out shipping costs to the UK and PM me if your happy with that.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Number View Post
    The person listing it made two big mistakes. By not including SPI in the listing they no doubt missed out on several bidders. Putting the listing in the goofy category they did they missed out on several more. Lucky grab for the person that got it.

WN
    Game company name means squat when it comes to DAWN of the DEAD. Plus, I would say any GAME collectors who are into defunct companies like SPI would already know all their titles and would probably have searched DAWN of the DEAD. Category also means squat when it comes to DAWN of the DEAD.

There are just certain things that don't really need to be category specific, and something with the title DAWN of the DEAD in it would be one of those things...
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    C'mon guys i think $125 is a very fair price for a mint condition set personally, thus the offer and it is a genuine offer, if WN wants to sell them at that price then let her. By all means advise her as i beleive we have some of the most knowlegable deadheads online here but if her mind is made up, dont harrass her.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    C'mon guys i think $125 is a very fair price for a mint condition set personally, thus the offer and it is a genuine offer, if WN wants to sell them at that price then let her. By all means advise her as i beleive we have some of the most knowlegable deadheads online here but if her mind is made up, dont harrass her.
    Not harassing her, just pointing out that her reasoning about categories don't mean squat in her quest for top dollar.

I consider AXLISH to be the utmost authority when it comes to DAWN merchandise. I value his opinion greatly because the man collects a lot of Romero stuff, especially DAWN
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England
    I Did say imho we have some of the most knowlegable people online here, i was referring to axlish, he has advised me many times and i wouldnt ever try to second guess him.

Im just saying, if WN has decided on her price then let her go with it. It seems like a fair price to me and im sure they will sell in their condition at that price, im happy to take one.

I Could be wrong.. im not claiming to be a expert.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Number View Post
    my thinking was $125 each was a reasonable good price for a mint copy.
    $125 is a reasonable price for a mint sealed copy--unfortunately just not in today's market. Many collectibles that have taken a major hit in value, not just DAWN of the DEAD-related merchandise.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Not harassing her, just pointing out that her reasoning about categories don't mean squat in her quest for top dollar.

I consider AXLISH to be the utmost authority when it comes to DAWN merchandise. I value his opinion greatly because the man collects a lot of Romero stuff, especially DAWN
    If Axlish is "the utmost authority when it comes to DAWN merchandise" or not, that has nothing to do with board gaming collectors and it's clear you personally have no knowledge in that area either. It's called crossover and I deal with it all the time in my business.

When it comes to board game collecting, my husband and I have a collection of over 2000 tiltes and have been involved in the hobby since the 1970s. I'll say it again, if you think listing something in the wrong catogory and leaving off an important fact that causes a group of people interested in it to miss it's listing will have no effect on price, you are pretty clueless when it comes to selling on Ebay.

WN
    Last edited by Wrong Number; 24-Jan-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo