Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Case of 12 Mint Dawn of the Dead SPI Games 1978

ViP

United States
    Regardless of what the item was listed in, the selling price is par for the course. It had 15 bids, which is very considerable activity. The eBay selling figures for this game that I have given you are accurate. I've seen at least 50 of them sell over the last ten years.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    Regardless of what the item was listed in, the selling price is par for the course. It had 15 bids, which is very considerable activity. The eBay selling figures for this game that I have given you are accurate. I've seen at least 50 of them sell over the last ten years.
    While 15 bids is "very considerable activity" more is always better. I doubt very much there have been 50 mint original shink games sold in that time. 50 games I'd buy, but condition is key with collectibles in my experience.

WN

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I bought 4 mint sealed DOTD games about 6 years ago from a trader, sold them on and kept one for myself.
    About 9 years ago someone in New york area on ebay was regualy selling Mint sealed DOTD games for $50 on buy now, they were listing them for ages, then at the end they started listing them in Complete Boxes, maybe 10 or 12 for about $500, I never saw any sell. I have been watching ebay DOTD Stuff for 10 years.

ViP

United States
    50 was a low-ball figure. It is probably more like 100. Like I said in an earlier post, I see a couple a month go on sale. Perhaps its common nature is also hurting the value. As far as new, sealed copies, I've probably seen a dozen or so over the years. I feel like I have seen one or two creep over the $100 mark, but it has been a while. That was around 2004-2005.

I'm mildly interested in the game at best, and that is coming from a Dawn collector. I'd like to have one but I'd never dream of paying over $40. They always go over $40 though, so I've never scored one.

United States
    I think this is turning into an agree to disagree thread.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    ...I've probably seen a dozen or so over the years.....

I'm mildly interested in the game at best, and that is coming from a Dawn collector. I'd like to have one but I'd never dream of paying over $40. They always go over $40 though, so I've never scored one.
    Speaking from the board game world, I promise you that if in some way they managed to get the rights to republish it the list price new would not be less than $50 as a reprint.

Toad and Troll is a well known respected dealer of board games and lists it for $150 for a playing copy. I'm sure they gotten that price many times over the years. I've seen punched copies sell at game auctions for around $75 and up. I've even seen partial games sell in the $30-40 range. Maybe the bottom line is that it's worth more to game collectors than DotD collectors. My bet is that you would not pay $50 for a new board game no matter what it was. In the board gaming world you would expect to find new games at that price or more.

WN
    Last edited by Wrong Number; 25-Jan-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: add

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Number View Post
    . My bet is that you would not pay $50 for a new board game no matter what it was. In the board gaming world you would expect to find new games at that price or more.

WN
    I'm not trying to be 'that guy' but you have to admit you can find a brand new board game for under 50 bucks. It might not be in a hobby store or an Axis & Allies type game but you can pick up monopoly, risk, stratego, etc...for under 15 dollars.

Being Attacked

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I'm not trying to be 'that guy' but you have to admit you can find a brand new board game for under 50 bucks. It might not be in a hobby store or an Axis & Allies type game but you can pick up monopoly, risk, stratego, etc...for under 15 dollars.
    You don't want to "be that guy", but what the heck, right? The fact that you list monopoly, etc. just means you don't understand the hobby I'm talking about. I'm talking about adult strategy games, german games, etc. not chlidrens games/toys. Though some of the more advanced Risk games would fit in, but those are in the $50 range like I said.

WN

United States
    WN, i think you hit the nail on the head about gamers having a certain price they would be willing to pay for this and fans of DotD having another. i was very interested in purchasing one, but couldn't really justify spending any more than 100 bones on it, regardless of the condition. that doesn't change the fact that it is a very cool item (or set, i should say) that you've got on your hands.

best of luck in your sales, but i do highly doubt you'll find many around this site that are willing to pay that kind of money.

United States
    Don't sell now, with the economy in the tank you won't get full value for the box set. Instead bring the case of games to an event where you know the four Dawn of the Dead main actors, George Romero, and Tom Savini will appear. Have a group photo taken with them holding the box of games for the camera. Even better if you can get each of them to autograph the cardboard shipping box. Instead of box full of old unplayed board games suddenly you have an artifact that is part of the Dawn of the Dead mythos and legend. Put the autographed box of games along with a color photo and sell it on Ebay for $12,000 US with a buy it now option and free shipping to the lower 48 states.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Administrator

England
    $12,000? !
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    $12,000?!

Why don't you offer to buy the box then for $1000-2000 and follow your own advice
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan