Thread: I need some advice from our more audio skilled people

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

I need some advice from our more audio skilled people

So for my latest job i was filming a famous comic book creator doing a signing as part of an ad im making for the comic book store he was signing at.

Trouble is the guy was jetlagged and a little quiet and there was 2000+ people there so naturally hes kinda hard to hear.

Now problems like a fat guy standing in front of the camera picking his nose for 4:37 of one of my tapes runtime i can deal with, ive gotten pretty good at editing since i took this up as a living.

-Sound however is not one of my specialties, hell i know more about html coding or animation than sound engineering and the like.

Anyone have experience and possible advice for me here? im trying to find anyway to single his voice out or just improve the quality of that bit so hes more easily heard by the viewer. because honestly ive tried what little i know on the sound front and im coming up empty.

They really should add a week or two on this kind stuff at uni on there degrees cus i didnt get shit all about this kinda problem.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Best analogy (and probably least useful to you) I've ever heard about this stuff happened when a producer asked an editor to take out the music from a stereo mix:
    "would you like a cup of tea?"
    (answer: yes)
    "sugar?"
    (answer: no)
    *put sugar in anyway*
    "I said no sugar"
    "well just take it out then".

Don't think there's a huge amount you can do really, except try boosting the mid range frequencies - play about with your audio effects, the best you'll get is probably the best you're going to get without shooting it off to an audio suite...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Anyone have experience and possible advice for me here? im trying to find anyway to single his voice out or just improve the quality of that bit so hes more easily heard by the viewer. because honestly ive tried what little i know on the sound front and im coming up empty.
    This isn't enough information to go on. How was the audio recorded? What format does it exist in? What type of audio editing hardware/software do you have to work with?
    How much of the live audio needs to be used in the spot? Will there be other audio in the spot (music, effects, voice over, etc.)?

A sample of the audio that needs to be cleaned-up would be helpful, too.

Undisclosed
    Agreed with Dubious's sentiment... This can be as simple as isolating and EQ'ing or as advanced as using Melodyne...
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528