Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Man Of Steel (film) - Directed by Zack Snyder

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    He also did it so that Kal could more easily prevent genetically engineered Kryptonians to be created.
    Well, my point is, why not just destroy the Codex? He's putting it into the last remaining Kryptonian, never to be used or of any use? So just destroy it? (Remember Kal isn't even aware of it)

I agree. I totally understand that everyone has their own likes and dislikes and it's perfectly acceptable to dislike this film, but the worst superhero film?
    You're putting words into my mouth. I said of recent years... A lot of it felt so flat, pointless and at times plain dull. I can't think of a super hero film in the past few years that's left me feeling that way. I really did feel like walking out duing some of the fights as they felt so utterly pointless and without any use, merit or 'soul'. And I actually groans at some of the poor writing involving the secondary characters being put in daft contrived dangerous situations.

Although some people seem too hung up on the Donner/Reeve films.
    Well, those films IMHO had far more solid scripts and characters. The action also seemed more in keeping with what was necessary to progress the plot. I may be looking at those films with rose tinted glasses, but IMHO Reeves first two outings blow MoS out of the water in most departments, and certainly portray a far far more interesting Superman.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Having just seen it, I was very disappointed - though many of the actors did well enough with what they were given. I'm sorry but the plot itself seemed murky, with exposition delivered at odd times and too often as almost an afterthought. I honestly went into MOS with an open mind and was prepared to have my socks blown off. My socks are still on.

After I've processed it more, I might feel kinder toward the film. Probably not, but I'm still ready to give it a fair think.
    I'll get back to you all on that.

Wayne Z

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Having just seen it, I was very disappointed - though many of the actors did well enough with what they were given. I'm sorry but the plot itself seemed murky, with exposition delivered at odd times and too often as almost an afterthought. I honestly went into MOS with an open mind and was prepared to have my socks blown off. My socks are still on.

After I've processed it more, I might feel kinder toward the film. Probably not, but I'm still ready to give it a fair think.
    I'll get back to you all on that.

Wayne Z
    Did you feel like it was trying ever ever ever so hard, and simply failed to tell a better simpler and more character focused story?

Did you get bored of the action after a while?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Did you feel like it was trying ever ever ever so hard, and simply failed to tell a better simpler and more character focused story?

Did you get bored of the action after a while?
    I thought poor Pa Kent was given short shrift throughout. His only clear motive was to protect his foster son at all cost, even if that meant sacrificing a schoolbus full of kids. But then he kept echoing Glenn Ford's excellent sentiments from another film "Son, you were sent here for a reason. " which seemed to contradict the other value. Maybe this is considered normal human behavior - can't tell for sure as Pa Kent never seemed to establish any serious underlying value system.

At least Lois Lane displayed a clearer integrity in keeping Clark's secret from the beginning. That was different and nice to see, so kudos to the script for that and to Amy Adams for playing it out so well. And Yes, Neil, by the time Clark had destroyed the first terraforming machine, what little thrills I'd gotten from his super antics were pretty much gone. The same when he went after the second device in Metropolis. It was finished for me about halfway through that fight.

Which actually leads to a very serious question. Why was the home town of Superman, and his future workplace never really treated as anything but just another set? In other shows, they were the center of Supes world, but in MOS they were hardly more than background. Maybe this will expanded upon in the next film, but it really bugged me.

Wayne Z
    "They are a great people, Kal-El. They want to be. They only need a light to show them the way. "
    Another Movie.
    Last edited by wayzim; 23-Jun-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: cuz

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well, my point is, why not just destroy the Codex? He's putting it into the last remaining Kryptonian, never to be used or of any use? So just destroy it? (Remember Kal isn't even aware of it)
    But wasn't it also a way for Kal to learn about his heritage should he ever find out about it?

You're putting words into my mouth. I said of recent years... A lot of it felt so flat, pointless and at times plain dull. I can't think of a super hero film in the past few years that's left me feeling that way. I really did feel like walking out duing some of the fights as they felt so utterly pointless and without any use, merit or 'soul'. And I actually groans at some of the poor writing involving the secondary characters being put in daft contrived dangerous situations.
    Sorry, that wasn't my intention. I agree with these criticisms, I just don't think they hold enough weight to ruin the movie as a whole. On a side note...I can think of TONS of recent superhero films that make MOS look like The Shawshank Redemption....

Well, those films IMHO had far more solid scripts and characters. The action also seemed more in keeping with what was necessary to progress the plot. I may be looking at those films with rose tinted glasses, but IMHO Reeves first two outings blow MoS out of the water in most departments, and certainly portray a far far more interesting Superman.
    Fair enough. I still love those films as well. However, although the include the same characters, I wouldn't want to compare them too closely. Just as Batman Begins and Batman(89) are completely separate films or the way these characters are reinvented in the comics over and over again.

Donner's Superman was more of a representation of the more wholesome silver age Superman, while Man of Steel is more in keeping with the post crisis comics or the new 52. Just different interpretations of the same character.
    Last edited by bassman; 24-Jun-2013 at 08:59 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Max Landis vents about Man Of Steel... While I don't entirely agree with his views, I dig his ability to rant so well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_GlYve_Lg

My biggest problem with MoS was just the dull over played action, seemingly in place of a solid character driven script. I think Landis was partly agreeing with that...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    God, I can't stand is fu*kin voice.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    God, I can't stand is fu*kin voice.
    Agreed. A silver spoon child with a big mouth.

Max Landis vents about Man Of Steel... While I don't entirely agree with his views, I dig his ability to rant so well
    He does raise some valid concerns, but most of it just comes off as "my daddy used to be famous, listen to me!!!". I can see that he's a fan of the character, but the way he goes about it just seems....off...to me. If he has such a grasp on the character, he should use his dad's reputation(pre-Twilight Zone incident) and do his best to get in with Warner Brothers for the next movie. At least have more than one or two films under your belt before you, as a filmmaker, start ranting about others....
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Jun-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: .

United States
    My oldest (almost 14) went & saw it with her aunt & cousins & loved it a lot. So if the aim, in part at least, was to relaunch & reinvigorate a somewhat "old fashioned" superhero for a new generation, then I'd have to say they succeeded.

Super Moderator

United States
    Agreed. A silver spoon child with a big mouth.
    "No one gets what's special about Superman (except for me)...in a pop way."

He does make some decent points, but you have to bulldoze through sedimentay layers of Pretentious bullshit to get there.

That said, Chronicle was pretty well done for what it set out to do.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This film was horrible.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    This film was horrible.
    I wouldn't use the word horrible. If I had to choose a word, it would be "flat", or "weak", or a number of times through it, "dull"...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd use all those as well.

There was so much complete crap in this film that could easily have been left on the cutting room floor without hurting the movie one bit. The ENTIRE OPENING sequence on Krypton? Get rid of it!

Me and my friends (there were 3 of us) were literally laughing at this film in the cinema. It was horrible and awkward. Kevin Costners death scene was hilarious. There was so many things about this film that were just... Bad. And even more things that were retarded.

Bryan Singer, come back, all is forgiven!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'd use all those as well.

There was so much complete crap in this film that could easily have been left on the cutting room floor without hurting the movie one bit. The ENTIRE OPENING sequence on Krypton? Get rid of it!

Me and my friends (there were 3 of us) were literally laughing at this film in the cinema. It was horrible and awkward. Kevin Costners death scene was hilarious. There was so many things about this film that were just... Bad. And even more things that were retarded.

Bryan Singer, come back, all is forgiven!
    Oh great! People say this now ...

Hee.

For someone who had our trust with two X-Men films ( which rocked. ) to have the audience turn on him for Superman Returns was pretty wacked. Which is another thing which MOS was missing. That excitement when Supes finally got around to doing his super hero stuff. Return had it when he rescued the shuttle and plane - I was practically out of my seat. MOS, not once - and like I said earlier, I really wanted to enjoy the movie. It just wasn't happening.

Wayz

United States
    yikes....i am planning to see this soon with my brother and his son. i've heard/read a few good things about it, but it seems like i've heard just as many bad things about it....

oh well, will see it anyhow, but i've gotta say i'm a bit unsure of what to expect as of now. my hopes aren't too high, and i'm not really emotionally invested in superman as a character, so i'm guessing it won't be too bad.