Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Man Of Steel (film) - Directed by Zack Snyder

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Heh... yeah...
    Language in general, actually, come to think of it...
    How do you spell Mr. Xpdlk? Or whatever?

Dying

United States
    I'm guessing you mean Mister Mxyzptlk. I figure he'll go into a Superman movie right around the time that Bat-Mite makes it into a Batman film.

I'm a huge comic book geek, and to be honest I've never really connected with Superman as a character. I'm completely okay with the Boy Scout attitude and the somewhat outdated set of morals; there's a reason why I like Steve Rogers (the former Captain America for the uninitiated). I don't like him because he's so ridiculously overpowered. It never really feels like he's up against something that he might not be able to handle or even that 99% of his rogues gallery are a threat.

Assuming that you want to have a villain that actually measures up to him physically while not being dumb as a stump, you don't have very many choices. I might be missing a few here, but I can only think of Darkseid, Brainiac, Doomsday (although he began life in the Superman comics fairly stupid), General Zod, and maybe Mongul if you really stretch the definition of "measures up". Then there are a few characters that can match him physically due to some built-in advantage rather than strength, like Parasite, Metallo, and the Kryptonite Man.

There's also always Bizarro, but I refer you back to the dumb as a stump comment.

There isn't really a large pool of villains to choose from when you add in the fact that the audience has to actually give a crap about them. The smart money would be on Brainiac and probably either Parasite or Metallo.

The question of why Warner Bros. keeps retreading certain heroes instead of expanding out into the DC Universe more was brought up, and the answer is simple. When you break it down, DC doesn't have very many A-list heroes. When you look at the characters that are viewed as being major players by comic book fans, the general consensus at this point is only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Green Lantern. After that, you've got B-listers like Green Arrow, Supergirl, Martian Manhunter, the Flash (there was a time when he easily would have been an A-lister, but some terrible writers over the years and less important roles in company-wide events have really brought him down), and a few others. Once those are out of the way there's a whole mess of randomness and characters that nobody cares about, characters like Red Tornado, Miracle Man, the Question (one of the best written comics out there, but barely anybody actually reads it), etc.

Compare that to Marvel where there's a much larger list of A-list heroes: Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, the Hulk, Daredevil, etc. Not to mention the teams that can easily be turned into profitable franchises like the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Avengers. Even some B-list heroes like the Punisher and Ghost Rider have a large following. There's so much more character depth and audience recognition to work with when it comes to Marvel.

When DC does a character right, they do it better than anyone else, hands down. The Batman comics since the early eighties have been the most consistently superior comics in the entire industry, for example. Memorable villains, a central character that resonates with fans, strong supporting characters, everything. The issue is that DC very rarely manages to do this sort of thing, and thus they have very little source material to draw from when making movies. In a way the Green Lantern movie is a bit of a risk because, while he's a popular character to comic book fans, he doesn't have the recognition outside of comic readers the way that a Batman or Spider-Man does.

What I want to see in the new Superman movie is fast, hard-hitting fights. The part of Superman that seems to get ignored in the movies is the "faster than a speeding bullet" part. Sure, he's been shown flying fast, but would a guy that can go that fast really throw a normal speed punch? I say put him in a fight with Brainiac and just let them tear each other apart.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A few new quotes from Slack Snyder...

"My feeling about Superman is that I've been a fan of the character for a long time. But the question for me was always, 'What can you do with Superman in a modern world?' And I think the amazing thing that Chris and David have created, that I'm working on now, and the reason why I was like, 'Yeah, I'll do that,' was that they found that in him. They found the why in him. That's the exciting part for me."
    Umm..."The why"? I didn't realize that was such an unknown part of the character. In fact, I think it's as known as his blue and red tights...

As for how this Superman movie will differ from those that have come before it...

"I can't really talk about that without being kind of specific," says Snyder. "But I can say I think Superman needs to be physical."
    Super Slo mo.....here we come, baby! I'm actually looking forward to a large scale Superman fight. I just hope it's not all at 2 mph.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Feb-2011 at 10:55 PM. Reason: .

United States
    I hope they don't make Luthor the villian, or atleast the "main" villain. I would like it if he worked behind the scenes, and was in part one of the reasons for the creation of Metallo for example, like the Animated Series( not sure if the same thing happened in the comics). Brainac can be saved for the sequel.
    Last edited by Doc; 09-Feb-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: .

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    argh I wish they'd do the Doomsday fight....Doomsday beat Superman with one hand tied behind his back, epic.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Superman is THE superhero. There would be no superhero genre without him.

I guess for today's audiences he may be "wimpy". Wearing tights, having morals and all. Not all superheroes can be dark like Batman or alcoholics like Iron Man...
    Nah dude, I've felt that way since I was in the very early stages of elementary school, reading comics and watching old cartoons. Maybe he's just too "traditional" (for lack of a better word)?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I hope they don't make Luthor the villian, or atleast the "main" villain. I would like it if he worked behind the scenes, and was in part one of the reasons for the creation of Metallo for example, like the Animated Series( not sure if the same thing happened in the comics). Brainac can be saved for the sequel.
    Looking at Nolan and Goyer's past films, I think it's safe to say there will be more than one villain. Whether or not one of them is Luthor is yet to be determined, but I could definitely see him as a second hand villain like Falcone and Maroni in the Batman films. The main baddie will be the physical threat, while the other is sort of pulling the strings from the background.

United States
    Looking at Nolan and Goyer's past films, I think it's safe to say there will be more than one villain. Whether or not one of them is Luthor is yet to be determined, but I could definitely see him as a second hand villain like Falcone and Maroni in the Batman films. The main baddie will be the physical threat, while the other is sort of pulling the strings from the background.
    Works for me!

Wait, doesn't Snyder have a say in the script now though?

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    argh I wish they'd do the Doomsday fight....Doomsday beat Superman with one hand tied behind his back, epic.
    Talk about one of the most overrated comics, and villains evar!

"The Death of Superman" didn't really impress me. Is this the best a Superman has to offer? It wasn't really anything special too me. I'm sure there must be better comics for Supes out there!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I'm sure there must be better comics for Supes out there!

Just kidding. I'm ready for both Superman and Batman to take a breather and get some rest. Maybe after the next Batman movie they can let the film versions cool off for a bit then do a proper DKR with an older batman.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Green Lantern hits theaters this summer, so they are starting to give other DC characters some attention. As for the Superman reboot....it's being rushed along because Warner Brothers has to have a new Superman film out before 2013 or the rights to the character revert back to the creators' families.
    I have a feeling they're gonna do the same with the DC characters that they are doing at MArvel.

They're gonna trickle out the solo films in preparation for a justice league film just as they are doing with iron man, thor, hulk and cap as it pertains to the avengers.

We already got supes, bats and GL. Wonder woman and flash anyone?

Last edited by darth los; 10-Feb-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: muldooooooooooooooooon!!!!1
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    A Flash script is indeed in the works, but so far they have no intention of trying a Justice League film. I'm sure the boss men have it in the back of their minds, but as of now they say it will be years down the road if it happens at all. They're trying to focus more on the individual characters.

There definitely won't be any mention of the characters existing in the same world until Nolan calls it quits. He's stated numerous times that his Batman lives in a world on his own, and now his Superman will do the same. Besides....mentioning Superman or Green Lantern in his Batman Universe would ruin his entire approach.

Warner Brothers tried a Justice League a few years ago, but it fell through after casting. George Miller(Mad Max) was set to direct when they pulled the plug on it in favor of Nolan's franchise. Dodged a bullet there...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Feb-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: .

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Funny, I don't remember Clark Kent being in The Tudors. ;-)
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I think it's time for some fresh heroes... We need new blood! People like... Ace Armageddon! He's the Terminal Man of Tomorrow!

Dying

United States
    Talk about one of the most overrated comics, and villains evar!

"The Death of Superman" didn't really impress me. Is this the best a Superman has to offer? It wasn't really anything special too me. I'm sure there must be better comics for Supes out there!
    Truth be told, there aren't all that many great Superman story arcs. Most of his truly well-written stories were done via the Justice League and, to a certain extent, Batman series (I thought he was used perfectly in the Batman "Hush" storyline). The only ones that were truly strong that come to mind are:

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

All-Star Superman

Red Son

Kingdom Come (theoretically this is actually a story about all the heroes, but there's no question that it revolves around Superman)

And that's it. From the sixty bajillion years that Superman has been in print in one form or another, those are the only story arcs that I consider strong. I completely agree with you that Death of Superman was weak. Nobody actually cared about Doomsday as a villain (shown by the fact that he hasn't been used much since); it would have had far more impact if, say, Lex Luthor finally managed to take down the Man of Steel. If you want to see how it could have been done right, watch the trailer for DC Universe Online and see how Luthor coldly and calculatingly kills him with Wonder Woman's corpse and a whole lot of kryptonite.

United States
    ^^^^^^^^

Sad.

From what I've seen the most popular DC stories are Batman's.

And for a good reason.

I thought "Year One", and "Dark Knight Returns" were amazing.

I don't really hear much about any of the other heroes. Everyone is such a Bat-wanker these days.

I thought DC didn't like using Doomsday alot because he was to much of a gimmick character?